Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes?

If I do the cts-v conversion shouldn't I do the rear too?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no need to. If you do it, it would only be for ascetics.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ll-w-pics.html
Old 10-16-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear brakes do a much lighter duty cycle for braking; however, I always have to wonder what the brake bias turns into with monster brakes in the front and the tiny little stock brakes in the back.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Teching In

I kinda figured if ya do one side it best to do all of it, thanks guys I appreciate it.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 AM
TECH Resident

don't do the rears, keep them OEM with better pads.

don't forget that the front to rear weight difference is around 57-43 or 58-42, brakes have to be front biased due to the fact that most of the weight of our cars are on the front end, hence bigger front brakes = much better stopping power, the rears will do what they always do which is truly not much but it's the fronts that you need to worry about for 4th-gen f-bodies.

If you go for a bigger front AND rear brake upgrade the PCM is not smart enough to recognize what you did so when you apply the brakes AND you have a much larger brake setup than the factory rears, well, your rears are going to start locking up every time you brake hard.

the only way to remedy that is to buy a brake proportioning valve which will ONLY work if you disengage the ABS, which also means MUCH higher chances of you flat-spotting your tires cuz your ABS is inoperative.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think the pcm has anything to do with it... The abs system modulates the brake pressure when it senses a wheel has stopped rotating, It could care less what is on the end of the brake hose applying the pressure. The reason the rear brakes would lock up is the excess clamping force in the rear axle on a car that has a front bias weight distribution already. When you apply the brakes hard, the weight transfers forward even farther, causing the front to dive and the rear to raise (or get lighter). The back brakes can be upgraded to the cts-v, but the obstacles will outweigh the benefits. Pad knock back, bracket cost and virtually no increase in performance have stopped most from attempting to upgrade the rear brakes. Just get some quality pads and rotors, that is as good as you need in the back.

Quick Reply: Brakes?