Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Poly Front LCA Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poly Front LCA Bushings

Can someone who actually has these installed tell me about the binding? Is it only when you are driving the car hard or all the time? More road noise because of it?

I got a set for free but I'm hesitant to install them after reading about the binding. Considering getting 1LE. You can install 1LE lower and Poly Upper without any issues, correct?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Well I just heard from a guy who had them installed. Ending up bending the front LCA. Next question would be, are the Moog LCA Bushings the same as 1LE?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKT/A
Well I just heard from a guy who had them installed. Ending up bending the front LCA. Next question would be, are the Moog LCA Bushings the same as 1LE?
There was a thread on here where someone's lca actually broke because of the binding (something has to give...)
The moog rear LCA bushings are the same as the 1LE, not sure about the front. Sam Strano will know.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Yea. So does anyone know about the comparison between Moog and 1LE as far as the front LCA Bushings go?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1QWKT/A
Yea. So does anyone know about the comparison between Moog and 1LE as far as the front LCA Bushings go?
I saw on Frrax that Moog = 1LE. I honestly don't know if they where talking all bushings or just the lca bushings.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive got the red Energy Suspension poly bushings all around on my daily driver - over a year on my SLP boxed rear LCAs and roughly a month on front upper and lower A-arms. Honestly, the front feels tighter but I wouldnt say its harsh or rough in any way whatsoever.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies. That helps. Still worried from the one story of the guy bending a control arm. Might just go with 1LE Bushings.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if the control arm bent i say there were other issues with the suspension. A bushing is not going to bend or break a control arm.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

The guy said it was a crack in the bushing mounting cup. I misquoted him by saying bent control arm. Sorry.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Undertow74
if the control arm bent i say there were other issues with the suspension. A bushing is not going to bend or break a control arm.
You underestimate the power of two words: Metal Fatigue.

Polyurethane is a plastic, vs neoprene or natural rubber. If a polyurethane bushing is made too soft it will deform more rapidly, because of course it is not rubber (and doesn't snap back to shape as rubber will, after being deformed). If you make a polyurethane bushing harder (as deflection reduction is often the goal with them), it will rid the deflection properties so hated and hissed at, but in a location like the caster bushing on the front lca of an f-body, the deflection is needed (unless you're using a roto joint or rod end).

If you remove the deflection in the bushing the metal has to give instead. A slightly softer bushing will help (cold flowing the bushing more slowly over time), and slowing the metal fatiguing, but you still have that issue.

As I've said before, there is a reason neither UMI, nor BMR sell a front LCA with a plastic bushing in that location any more - it causes a failure of the part (either the bushing, or worse the arm).

This is not some nebulous issue either. In addition to previous links here on ls1tech, here is one from a Mustang forum.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/class...-bushings.html

You have to understand the application a particular bushing is being used in. In a non-pure rotation application, you're asking for problems by using a poly bushing.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did not underestimate anything. I Agree with you that rubber has more flex than a poly bushing. But If one is to say that a poly bushing Bent a complete A arm assembly, there is another problem. severely over-torqued, installed wrong, or hit something. I have yet to hear of a control arm bending or breaking solely due to a poly bushing, if that was the case i don't think there would be such a big market for them. and the original poster re stated that it was the bushing that cracked.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

The bushing housing I believe is what it was. The part of the A-Arm you press the bushing into. The guy was also from NY. If you've ever ridden down I-95 right by NYC then you know that those potholes there could absolutely destroy some suspension parts. His case could just be an anomaly. Either way I'm going with the Moog parts on the front LCAs. The car was meant to be a weekend car but it looks like I'm going to have to DD it for a bit. I can't risk having to pull apart the suspension again in the near future. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't install poly lower control arm bushings in the A-arms...there is a reason we only offer a rodend in the vertical rear mounting location - it's the only way to correctly do it. From the factory the rubber bushings do a good job of not impeding the rotation arc, but with poly, this would create a lot of bind. Stick with rubber on the rear lower bushings always or replace the arms with aftermarket.... preferably ours....jk.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 PM

I have read the thread with the picture of a broken front lower control arm with the polyurethane bushing. i noticed that type of material looking really hard. However I purchased a energy suspension kit and noticed that same bushing made of a different type of polyurethane...possibly? it feels softer, more flexible. its not dry, but almost gel like. its very different from the sway bar link poly material. has this company changed and improved their material?

their website claims these bushings come with different "durometers" depending on the application and location of the bushing. therefore they claim that their front lca bushings dont bind and are full floating. does anyone have any first hand experience with this type of bushing?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had them in my car for years now with NO Issues, I replaced all of the front and rear bushings with Poly. There must have been some other issues causing control arm to bend or break...ie: someone who did not know what they were doing during the install, over heating the control arm while removing the old junk. These things have been selling for YEARS and if there was any Major issues they would no longer be on the market. I have them and I love them just put enough grease on the during the instell and you won't have any problems.

or you could listen to all this nonsence by sellers that want you to buy something else like what they are selling. Contact Summit that is who I bought mine from and I believe they are still a Vendor here and ask them what they think. Summit is a HUGE company not like some of these small fries knocking them.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

I'm doing this now...using Moog.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Poly properly rotates only on 1 axis with little resistance.

That caster bushing on the front lower control arm doesn't rotate along that single axis at all.

There's your answer.

Same goes with the rear LCAs on the axle end (and chassis end to an extent but not near as much).

CAN you put poly in those spots? I suppose. But why do that, limiting the suspension at best and possibly damaging something at worst, when there are better options? If that caster bushing was made from poly in a "ball joint" so to speak, then it would be OK as another axis has been introduced. Pretty sure most of those poly bushings aren't made that way however.

Also, as far as the argument "they've been on the market for years they can't be breaking stuff" That's nonsense. There are hundreds of items out there on the market that can and do break other stuff.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive got poly all around on my daily with no issues whatsoever. My fronts are like described above, soft, almost gel-like. The ride is firm but in no way harsh. Goin' on three months now...

Quick Reply: Poly Front LCA Bushings