Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano vs Spohn sway bars (updated 11/27/12)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that Sam needs anyone to defend his reputation, however he's been a very helpful resource to me and many more folks on the board. I respect his experience and his perspective. Regarding his attitude, if you think he acts like he knows more than you do about suspension, don't lose sight of the fact that he does! After all, if you're calling someone to ask for advice wouldn't you expect that person to know more about the subject matter than you already know?

I'm a little guy. I don't have some extreme build and am not a source of tens of thousands of dollars of potential revenue for Sam. Many of us would fall in the category of "have a nice car and are looking to make it a little better a few parts at a time". Sam has been willing to take his valuable time to help us make those decisions -- free of charge. For that reason, I will gladly be purchasing my sway bars from Sam.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be he is intimated by guys with bigger budgets than his own.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by js2fst
If you have something Sam does not like you are stupid and wasting his time
That's a pessimistic way of putting it, but a lot experts in a particular subject are like this really. If you are working with someone who knows their $hit really well and you don't go in with an open mind, then usually you might not get a "customer is always right" attitude. In a way I kind of like that.. they aren't afraid to kinda hint to you to f-off.

It's happened to me before.. not with Sam though. Sure yeah I took it a little personal at first, but later realized that I should have just listened and realized they might know something I don't know. Guess what.. they did!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

All he kept repeating over is how my new bmr stuff all sucks! I offered to switch. Bmr sucks! Again and again. I understand the spring deal. But I would never talk to one of my customers the way he talked to me. The word stupid was used more than once. And if a employee did he return a appoligy call and change his position. I was ready to place a order.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you think he acts like he knows more than you do about suspension, don't lose sight of the fact that he does! After all, if you're calling someone to ask for advice wouldn't you expect that person to know more about the subject matter than you already know?
but a lot experts in a particular subject are like this really. If you are working with someone who knows their $hit really well and you don't go in with an open mind, then usually you might not get a "customer is always right" attitude
Yeah, I too think Sam needs to chill out on the attitude. It sucks. The statement about "people traditionally that know they're **** will act like this", is not an excuse. Thats arrogance. I bought stuff from Sam and I appreciate his help and his honesty but there is a line you should not cross with your customer and a FILTER needs to be applied. Sam routinely crosses this line. He will get my business again because I think he has good products and a reputation that backs them up, but reading his responses in this thread took him down a few notches for me and I hope I never have to talk to him again for advise because he was ignorant to me as well. I dont look forward to a conversation with him and it seems it cant be had on good term unless you too are an expert he can relate to.
Sam, to you my friend, My advice for the very little it is worth, If your going to stand up here and preach that you are here to help others and give free advise then you too need to remember that the other guy on the phone has little to no experience in your line of expertise. Therefore you need to be more patient and stop getting so frustrated with them. Understand as an educator people need help and coaching and your frustration makes it an undesirable experience.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

I dread calling him I got every exact part number of everything. I just could not call back it has been a month now
Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe instead of being so delicate about others hurting our feelings, we should appreciate that sam is here helping us out with our questions. If he says your setup sucks, fix it and stop crying. Pretty simple.

Then you get some people who thinks their **** dont stink and try to argue with someone who has won competitions and really knows what hes talking about. Makes no sense.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

I am going question his knowledge? I think I have the product to have better equipment. Maybe he can't really do any better than what I have.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

I am going question his knowledge? I think I have the product to have better equipment. Maybe he can't really do any better than what I have.
If you "think" you have better product than so and so, why are you even calling him? Why not just use your own product?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

I am not satisfied with my shocks and springs but I do have everything else available except front control arms I am about to order them. Power covered!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
That's a pessimistic way of putting it, but a lot experts in a particular subject are like this really. If you are working with someone who knows their $hit really well and you don't go in with an open mind, then usually you might not get a "customer is always right" attitude. In a way I kind of like that.. they aren't afraid to kinda hint to you to f-off.

It's happened to me before.. not with Sam though. Sure yeah I took it a little personal at first, but later realized that I should have just listened and realized they might know something I don't know. Guess what.. they did!
One of the best posts I've read lately on this board. I agree 100%.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

That doesn't even make any sense.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Sometimes its better to just eat a piece of humble pie and listen to them. Same thing in college... some of my professors would absolutely tear some of my complainer classmates apart. A little humility is good for everyone once in a while.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can't believe the excuses I reading here. Your college professor isn't in retail. His living doesn't depend on the satisfaction of his students. I'm ok with being honest with a customer, I'm ok with telling them how it's going to be. I'm ok that not everyone is going to agree and sometimes you just can't make everyone happy. BUT that is not all that's going on here and SAM's posts show the same lack of professionalism that's given on the phone. Again, A filter is required for a healthy business. It's clear that there are more then a few people on here that don't care for it. There is probably more then a few people that won't due business with him anymore (I'm not one of them, yet). Sam is clear that he is ok with not making everyone happy but sooner or later its going to catch up with him and in this small community he can't afford to make that gamble. I'm not saying any of this to degrade Sam in any way, but if someone doesn't say anything your more likely to continue down that distructive path. Hopefully he gets the message and he too can be humble enough to see he is not always right.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

I am sure Sam is a ok guy. I find it funny this happens to his highly modified customers? I am not all that my project was started a year ago and I do not have my motor yet
Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have done quite a bit of business with Sam. Matter of fact, I buy all my brake and suspension stuff from him. I have never gotten a bad attitude from him. I can only imagine some of the crap he hears daily. Only complaint I have is that he doesn't have shirts, or didn't when I was trying to bum one. People need to realize that sometimes you don't know ****. You might think you do, but in reality you don't.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

The guys at bmr and umi are the way I am leaning for front sway bar and a arms and shocks I am looking at the 5 th gen brake mod. I would like to keep it all bmr but I like the boxed a arms and roto joints
Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse, but damn, some guys are way too sensitive. You are calling for advise, be humble and take it from the guy that actually races and has tried countless different setups, not just some salesman behind a desk.

If you have something Sam does not like you are stupid and wasting his time he will tell you how he knows every part on the market. Yet I told what I had I was stupid not to know the exact part number like a non manual bmr k member he stated they made twenty different ones. Really I got all the part numbers but I have not called back because of the attitude.
I highly doubt thats exactly the way it went...
Im seeing it as more like someone calling a professional engine builder, simply asking for "more power", then when asked whats currently done to the engine they reply with "a bunch of autozone parts".
Too vague and no research done (wouldn't have "autozone" parts in the first place right?)

Wow I have had cars featured in many kinds of magazines for many years. Probably before you started
I hope this is not your measuring stick... Thats nothing to brag about and basically takes no talent at all, just some coin.

Originally Posted by dws6
I can't believe the excuses I reading here. Your college professor isn't in retail. His living doesn't depend on the satisfaction of his students.
Would you rather your teacher tell you what you want to hear, or what you need to hear?

All he kept repeating over is how my new bmr stuff all sucks! I offered to switch. Bmr sucks! Again and again. I understand the spring deal. But I would never talk to one of my customers the way he talked to me. The word stupid was used more than once. And if a employee did he return a appoligy call and change his position. I was ready to place a order.
The "spring deal" was just a fraction of the non-sense that company spews. They're in it for the money, and thats it. Broken parts lead to deleted threads, using the "umi" name in various URL addresses that [used to] link to their website, and threatening PMs just to name a few.
Keep a close eye on that k-member...
Old 03-18-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

K member has extra bracing already so when I put it on I will be good. I mean a transmission cross member with torque arm relocator by yank it is so hard to figure out which one I have. And it doesn't take that much coin. Yes it takes alot of parts on my a motor. The f series ProCharger and a 408 that is street driven is not easy to build and be 900 rwhp or more. You have a built 4l80e and fab 9 should cover the rest I still have power everything. You have to have suspension and a mini tub and brakes are a must.

I know it is a waste of money. But it is a stress relief for me.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

SAM's posts show the same lack of professionalism that's given on the phone
I still have yet to see sam disrespect anyone here. He takes his time to help people when he can. He races cars and creates products that improve our cars, dont expect a therapist that will hold your hand and tell you your car is the very best one in the world.

Sam is clear that he is ok with not making everyone happy but sooner or later its going to catch up with him and in this small community he can't afford to make that gamble.
There is not a single company in the world that satisfies every single person they bump into. None. There are always people addicted to bitch and complain about anything they can. Not saying youre one of them, but dont make it seem like Sam doesnt care about his customers.

Quick Reply: Strano vs Spohn sway bars (updated 11/27/12)