Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano vs Spohn sway bars (updated 11/27/12)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile Strano vs Spohn sway bars (updated 11/27/12)

So I have ran Spohn's 32/22 solid front/rear sway bars for at least 5 years. I've always hated how my car has handled. My car has never felt as confident as I always thought it should. So I talked to Sam Strano about possibly upgrading to his 35/22 hollow front/rear sway bars. After talking with him for about 30 mins, discussing numerous possible solutions, I decided to start with the sway bars. I ordered them Monday and I received them by Thursday, fast ship for a large box. The car is currently in for a new transmission so I won't be able to get any impressions soon. Figured I weigh them to compare hollow vs. solid.
Strano's bars are as follows:
Front bar only-16.4lbs
front hardware- 2.4lbs
Rear bar only- 5.5lbs
rear hardware- 2.4lbs

I'll be weighing my Spohn's as soon as I get them off the car. I'm guessing they are going to be substantially more. As soon as I have the Spohn's off and the Strano's on I'll update.

(Updated)
Finally got my old Spohn solid sway bars back. The weights are as follow:
Front bar only- 22.7lbs.
Rear bar only- 11.2lbs.
The hardware all weighed about the same.
Strano savings:
Front 6.3 lbs
Rear 5.7 lbs
Total weight savings=12lbs.

I figured the solid bars would have weighed more, buy 12lbs is a reasonable reduction on just a small part. The more important part of the upgrade is the proper balance the car has now, that alone would have been worth the upgrade.

Last edited by 00transamws6; 11-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

FINALLY a comparison I've been waiting for. I'll follow this thread for sure. I'm really debating on the srtanos. Did you get the adjustable rear sway? I wonder how "mild" mild is. and how "stiff" the firm setting is.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I'll be waiting.... mine weigh less that's not in doubt. The front bar is stiffer, the rear bar is softer than what you have which will give you a more positive front feel and a less touchy rear.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Looking forward to seeing the results.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sommer- No I didn't get the adjustable rear. Didn't think it was needed for my application. My buddy has the adjustable rear which I'm sure I could experiment with if needed.

Sam-That front bar is awesome! Just unpacking it was impressive. Can't wait to get them on the car, i'm sure there will be a big difference since the car will be setup to turn instead of simply going straight.

By the way if anyone is interested in the old bars they will be for sale as soon as they are off the car.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm also interested in the results. I'm a bit unimpressed by the WS6 "handling package" and would like to make it an all around better handling and tighter car.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I'm also interested in the results. I'm a bit unimpressed by the WS6 "handling package" and would like to make it an all around better handling and tighter car.
Marc, that is not hard to do, at all.... Bars help, better shocks help. Maybe springs, but of the 3 they are the least big deal in terms of change most folks want to see unless they want to lower it too. That's not the say springs don't make a big change, they do... just that the others make big changes and don't change the ride to something that might be too firm like springs can. Not everyone likes the ride of a lowered car even on the best springs.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sommer86
FINALLY a comparison I've been waiting for. I'll follow this thread for sure. I'm really debating on the srtanos. Did you get the adjustable rear sway? I wonder how "mild" mild is. and how "stiff" the firm setting is.
Mike...You should get the adj since you like to drag race your car.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Funny this thread came out, I just ordered by bars from Sam on Tuesday..can't wait to get home see how they feel.

Jim
Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Marc, that is not hard to do, at all.... Bars help, better shocks help. Maybe springs, but of the 3 they are the least big deal in terms of change most folks want to see unless they want to lower it too. That's not the say springs don't make a big change, they do... just that the others make big changes and don't change the ride to something that might be too firm like springs can. Not everyone likes the ride of a lowered car even on the best springs.
Thanks for the tips, Sam. I just got the car and it looks like I have Bilstein HD's already and paperwork says the previous owner had them installed in 2011. I think the springs are stock. Even though something is squeaking back there those shocks should be good, unless the Koni's are hugely better. So my next step is in the next few months get either your front and rear hollow set or just the front 35mm hollow bar and see how I like that. I'm not too into lowering, but may consider a minimal drop. I went from daily driving a 2005 Saleen Mustang (non s/c) to this WS6. I didn't think it would be a big difference, but the Saleen handling just seems untouchable in comparison.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
Thanks for the tips, Sam. I just got the car and it looks like I have Bilstein HD's already and paperwork says the previous owner had them installed in 2011. I think the springs are stock. Even though something is squeaking back there those shocks should be good, unless the Koni's are hugely better. So my next step is in the next few months get either your front and rear hollow set or just the front 35mm hollow bar and see how I like that. I'm not too into lowering, but may consider a minimal drop. I went from daily driving a 2005 Saleen Mustang (non s/c) to this WS6. I didn't think it would be a big difference, but the Saleen handling just seems untouchable in comparison.
I'd do the pair of bars, not just the front. That will make the front better, but leave the rear roll stiffness where it is which then makes the car respond in a two step kind of way unless you have something like the Koni's that you can turn up in the rear to quicker the reaction. Even then you are asking for a more understeer prone setup if you go that way.

Koni's simply rock, but I'm not going to say you have to have them unless we discover that something you don't like is related to a relative lack of rebound damping. Because you have Bilstein's that are new, and you don't want to lower... bars are where you want to go.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam... are you saying to leave the rear stiffness the way it is to make the car respond in a two step kind of way? Or are you saying don't do that because it would be bad? I didn't really understand your post... I'm looking into getting your sway bars as well and I'm trying to understand... uh... well everything I can I guess haha!

Anywho... can you elaborate a little? Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Aight guys so had the car in at Straightline Performance to rebuild the trans. While the car was in the shop decided to have them install the Strano bars. Got the car back today, but was only able to drive it for a couple hours. I could immediately feel the car was much more balanced. Normal street driving I could tell a difference compared to the Spohn bars. The real difference came when I was on an entrance ramp for the highway. This is always when my car felt the worse. My daily driver offered more confidence enter the same highway. With the Strano bars, it was a big difference. The terrible oversteer feeling wasn't there. Now since I still have non-adjustable poly LCA's, this accounts for some of that feeling still there, but the difference is very noticeable.

SO all in all definitely well worth the money. Sam really did his homework on these bars. Anyone considering sway bars do yourself a favor end the search and order these. Sam thanks for all the help, and developing a great product.

I'll be weighing the Spohn bars shortly and report back. Any questions let me know.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I added Strano's 35/ADJ. 22 bars, I felt the most difference in changing lanes on the expressway - much more balanced and controlled. It felt bad ***.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Strano bars for sure, i would not touch a Spohn product with a 10ft pole right now with all the breakage i have seen from thier items, and their lack of customer service.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can we get Strano sway bars in red?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I could only imagine the difference between factory bars to Stranos, but don't think it's as drastic going from a aftermarket set of bars, but don't get me wrong it's still a drastic change.

Stranos only come in black, I may actually get them powdered coated or painted red. Still debating if its worth it.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00transamws6
I could only imagine the difference between factory bars to Stranos, but don't think it's as drastic going from a aftermarket set of bars, but don't get me wrong it's still a drastic change.

Stranos only come in black, I may actually get them powdered coated or painted red. Still debating if its worth it.
So Strano sway bars are hands down that much better than: (UMI, BMR, etc)

Damn, I really wanted red ones. I was going to go with UMI but now I don't know what I should do. All my suspension underneath is red. I know it sounds stupid lol
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm coming from solid Spohn and hands down Stranos are amazing! I wish They were around when I was buying the Spohns. It depends either buy the others for looks or Stranos for a real performance upgrade, your call. I'm selling my red Spohns tho.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00transamws6
I'm coming from solid Spohn and hands down Stranos are amazing! I wish They were around when I was buying the Spohns. It depends either buy the others for looks or Stranos for a real performance upgrade, your call. I'm selling my red Spohns tho.
No I too have been waiting for awhile to upgrade my stock sway bars because I hear how much better the car feels afterwards.

And the time is near in the next few months to purchase, I'm just blown away that one sway bar to another can make such a difference, must be pieces of unicorn in the Strano ones

No I believe I will be doing Strano too after reading this. Just need to figure out how to paint them red.

Plus, I all ready bought BMR springs in the past (Red) and now looking back I wish I got Strano's which come in only white. What gives with the color choices? lol

Quick Reply: Strano vs Spohn sway bars (updated 11/27/12)