Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

handling differences?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default handling differences?

For a while i've been trying to figure out why the camaro and firebird
handle differently. I've owned a few camaro Z28's and a few SS's.
But when i bought my 2002 WS6 i noticed a big difference in the steering responds and the overall handling between the two. The camaro's steering is tighter than the firebird. My SS had stiffer steering, where as my WS6 took less effort but had more slop. Also the WS6 seemed like it was over boosted but the SS took more effort to steer. ALso the WS6 had more body roll through turns at higher speeds, the nose wanted to plow under sharp turns and hard braking. It's not a big deal really, but i like to drive aggressive but my SS with stock suspension handled a lot better than my WS6 did with aftermarket parts. Is it possible that GM used different steering racks in the WS6 than the SS? I know the part number are the same on the springs and the sway bars. So maybe the shock valving is different? And if they both used the same parts why did the WS6 need less effort to steer, and why did the WS6 have a little more slop. IF anyone drove both cars back to back you can feel a major difference. Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to know what did GM do to make each model steer and handle differently. I think since the WS6 was more up scale they did something to soften the handling and reduce steering effort. I appreciate any help from someone who has noticed this difference.

Thanks,
Den
Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
For a while i've been trying to figure out why the camaro and firebird
handle differently. I've owned a few camaro Z28's and a few SS's.
But when i bought my 2002 WS6 i noticed a big difference in the steering responds and the overall handling between the two. The camaro's steering is tighter than the firebird. My SS had stiffer steering, where as my WS6 took less effort but had more slop. Also the WS6 seemed like it was over boosted but the SS took more effort to steer. ALso the WS6 had more body roll through turns at higher speeds, the nose wanted to plow under sharp turns and hard braking. It's not a big deal really, but i like to drive aggressive but my SS with stock suspension handled a lot better than my WS6 did with aftermarket parts. Is it possible that GM used different steering racks in the WS6 than the SS?
Damn near anything is possible with these cars now at this age. GM could have used a different steering rack, or a previous owner could have swapped them. Your suspension could have been more worn in the WS6 as well vs the SS.

I know the part number are the same on the springs and the sway bars. So maybe the shock valving is different? And if they both used the same parts why did the WS6 need less effort to steer, and why did the WS6 have a little more slop. IF anyone drove both cars back to back you can feel a major difference. Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to know what did GM do to make each model steer and handle differently. I think since the WS6 was more up scale they did something to soften the handling and reduce steering effort. I appreciate any help from someone who has noticed this difference.

Thanks,
Den
Do you think your SS got the SLP treatment with suspension? Does it have bilstiens? Maybe 1le bushings? SLP springs?
You sure the WS6 is a real one and not a clone?
Tires also can make quite the difference as well even in feel.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Thank for responding. My WS6 was brand new. I traded in my '99 SS M6 cause i loved the way the WS6 looked. Even today the car still has better styling then today's cars. My SS didn't have the bilstiens shocks. To get my WS6 to handle like the SS I swapped out everything except the rack. I hoping in the near future I would love to get a black WS6 or the red 35th anniversary SS or a black or Navy Blue SS A4. I saw a 2002 black Firehawk with less than 5,000 mile. It looks awesome. But the first upgrade i would do to the Firehawk would get steering and handling like the SS. I'm not sure what Pontiac did, but my WS6 did not take turns as well as my '99 SS or my '02 SS. Again thanks for your input if i decide on a Firehawk or a WS6 i'll try to get the steering rack straight out of a SS...BTW your WS6 looks great.

Den
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
Thank for responding. My WS6 was brand new. I traded in my '99 SS M6 cause i loved the way the WS6 looked. Even today the car still has better styling then today's cars. My SS didn't have the bilstiens shocks. To get my WS6 to handle like the SS I swapped out everything except the rack.
Very interesting. What did you swap exactly? Were they aftermarket or the stock SS parts?
This is strange, the SS and Z28s Ive driven/been in didn't drive significantly different/any different from my WS6. I could tell the difference between the suspension/wheels from the Z28 has, but even that wasn't too big of a difference.

I hoping in the near future I would love to get a black WS6 or the red 35th anniversary SS or a black or Navy Blue SS A4. I saw a 2002 black Firehawk with less than 5,000 mile. It looks awesome. But the first upgrade i would do to the Firehawk would get steering and handling like the SS. I'm not sure what Pontiac did, but my WS6 did not take turns as well as my '99 SS or my '02 SS. Again thanks for your input if i decide on a Firehawk or a WS6 i'll try to get the steering rack straight out of a SS...BTW your WS6 looks great.
Den
Thanks for the complement.
Instead of getting OEM replacement parts look into aftermarket if you havent, way way better for performance and handling. (look into Koni shocks, strano springs and strano swaybars - car will handle better than you can imagine an Fbody ever could).
Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Very interesting. What did you swap exactly? Were they aftermarket or the stock SS parts?
This is strange, the SS and Z28s Ive driven/been in didn't drive significantly different/any different from my WS6. I could tell the difference between the suspension/wheels from the Z28 has, but even that wasn't too big of a difference.

Thanks for the complement.
Instead of getting OEM replacement parts look into aftermarket if you havent, way way better for performance and handling. (look into Koni shocks, strano springs and strano swaybars - car will handle better than you can imagine an Fbody ever could).
I used BMR rear lower control arms with urethane bushings, BMR Panhard rod, and a 22mm rear sway bar with urethane bushings. Up front I only changed the sway bar end links. It seemed the WS6 needed less effort to turn the steering wheel, the Camaro felt stiffer and had better control during sharp turns. There must be a slight difference in the racks, and maybe the stock shocks in the SS were likely valved different to give it more aggressive handling. It's almost like the steering was alittle numb compared to the SS. I wish i bought a set of Bilstiens for the WS6 before i sold it just to see the difference. Thanks for your help, appreciate it. I got my eye on a black '02 Firehawk that looks perfect. It would be fun to stiffen it's suspension first then do h/c setup

Den
Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of a stupid thought, but it's possible the Camaro weighed less than the ws6 and that was enough to make it not feel quite as tight. As far as I'm aware, they share the same exact parts unless the Camaro got the SLP treatment.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

It could be anything. One car's bushings might be more worn.. shocks could be different.. shocks could be more worn on one car.. could be other suspension components.. etc
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Banned

I have noticed a HUGE differeance between my 01 z28 and 02 firebird trans am. The Z28 sits off the ground much higher in the frt and rides very soft, does't feel harsh at all.

The trans am on the other hand is much lower in the frt and is stiff as a board, handles great! Both are bone stock. I want to do something to get the Z feeling a little more like the TA.

The Z handles well in the turns just doesn't feel as stiff or responsive as it should like the TA.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

There was a lot of talk many years ago that 98-99 SS cars (possibly WS-6 cars) got 1LE bushings and springs, but not shocks. I have never been able to find any hard documentation. I do know that my 99 SS seems to be more heavily sprung than friends newer SS/WS-6 cars of similar mileage. We are talking about back in 2004ish. The cars had similar miles, and were not nearly as old as they are now. I even asked Scott Settlemire, but did not get a definitive answer.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

There can be lots of little differences. Many different springs, shock valvings, etc. Up to about mid-2000 SS's and WS6's got 1LE springs, after that normal Z28/Formula stuff. But there are like 6 different front and 6 different rear GM springs that could have come on a car. And there isn't always consistency. I guy who used to work for me ordered a 2002 Z28 optioned IDENTICALLY to my 2001... And it came in with different rear springs. Figure that one out.

This is EXACTLY why I'm always wanting to know what the car drives like, and I work from there instead of some pie-in-the-sky idea of making it "better". Not knowing what you have makes it pretty hard to know how much better is better.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question

Wow, I wonder if GM is so inconsistent with the 5th Gens too?

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There can be lots of little differences. Many different springs, shock valvings, etc. Up to about mid-2000 SS's and WS6's got 1LE springs, after that normal Z28/Formula stuff. But there are like 6 different front and 6 different rear GM springs that could have come on a car. And there isn't always consistency. I guy who used to work for me ordered a 2002 Z28 optioned IDENTICALLY to my 2001... And it came in with different rear springs. Figure that one out.

This is EXACTLY why I'm always wanting to know what the car drives like, and I work from there instead of some pie-in-the-sky idea of making it "better". Not knowing what you have makes it pretty hard to know how much better is better.

Quick Reply: handling differences?