Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I would have to double check the sheet they gave me, but I believe it's set at:

Camber: -1.0
Caster: 4.0
Toe: 0
Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

send them back or call Sam up and see what he can do for you. But it definately is not cool to buy lowering springs and your car doesn't get any lower.

Last edited by sscamaroburn02; 04-22-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
send them back or call Sam up and see what he can do for you. But it definately is not cool to buy lowering springs and your car doesn't get any lower.
That seems like my only option. Is there something I'm missing or does everything look installed correctly? (from what you can tell by pics) As much as I want it to sit like it should, I'm just so frustrated with the damn thing right now the last thing I want to do at the moment is take it all apart again and pay for another alignment.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee ride height. It's clear that my springs lower cars.

Given the vastly different ride heights the cars come with stock (a lot), the fact that some folks have cut stock springs, or run other springs and their starting point is not always the same. For every 100 sets that go out of here there seems to be 1 or 2 cars that just don't drop much in the nose relative to where they started. Do you have "before" measurements? Last time this happened the guy swore the car was higher than what he had before (other lowering springs). When he sent me pics of before and after (with measurements) it turns out mine were actually lower at both ends, it just looked different because the gaps changed.

I'm not denying the car is high. But it's high all around too which makes me wonder what is going on and I think the bars are sticking or something. I'm also looking at the angle of the front bar endlink and it's odd. A bar can be too tight in it's mounts, or the endlinks can be too tight which binds the suspension (and it'll ride worse too). Did you try disconnecting the links to see if that changes anything?

The higher gas pressure does of the shocks can "prop" the car up a bit vs. the low-pressure Koni's. Could be the perch height is slightly taller too (not that I've ever noticed.

The springs are made in batches of 240 at a time (that's 120 cars sets), on a CNC coiler from one continuous spool of wire. They are all checked for free length and then cycled. I just looked and in the last year I've sold 804 sets. Those came in over the course of 7 different order/production runs. This is not a spring issue.

Given that the only time we have issues like this is with Bilstein's, and only lately, I'm wondering if they position of the spring perch height has changed.

I can't just take them back because they aren't defective. The car is lower than it was from what I can tell based on the original pictures and where the bumper to fender line intersects the top of the SS wheel. I get it's maybe not low enough, but I think we might find that it's more related to Bilstein's than the springs (given that the issue seems only to exist that way on a few cars, clearly there are cars pictured in this thread that aren't that high on other shocks).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I guess I'll cross alignment of the list.

Okay, when you installed the shock/spring assembly did the lower shock mount/ control arm bolt holes line up easily allowing easy install of the mount bolts; or did you encounter some difficulty getting the bolt hole to line up and install the mount bolts?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anybody with bilsteins and strano springs that have been bought recently. Post up your pics and maybe it is the shocks. All the pics in this thread were with other shocks. hmm...interesting...
Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car dropped significantly... but are you 100% sure those were stock uncut parts in your car before?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee ride height. It's clear that my springs lower cars.

Given the vastly different ride heights the cars come with stock (a lot), the fact that some folks have cut stock springs, or run other springs and their starting point is not always the same. For every 100 sets that go out of here there seems to be 1 or 2 cars that just don't drop much in the nose relative to where they started. Do you have "before" measurements? Last time this happened the guy swore the car was higher than what he had before (other lowering springs). When he sent me pics of before and after (with measurements) it turns out mine were actually lower at both ends, it just looked different because the gaps changed.

I'm not denying the car is high. But it's high all around too which makes me wonder what is going on and I think the bars are sticking or something. I'm also looking at the angle of the front bar endlink and it's odd. A bar can be too tight in it's mounts, or the endlinks can be too tight which binds the suspension (and it'll ride worse too). Did you try disconnecting the links to see if that changes anything?

The higher gas pressure does of the shocks can "prop" the car up a bit vs. the low-pressure Koni's. Could be the perch height is slightly taller too (not that I've ever noticed.

The springs are made in batches of 240 at a time (that's 120 cars sets), on a CNC coiler from one continuous spool of wire. They are all checked for free length and then cycled. I just looked and in the last year I've sold 804 sets. Those came in over the course of 7 different order/production runs. This is not a spring issue.

Given that the only time we have issues like this is with Bilstein's, and only lately, I'm wondering if they position of the spring perch height has changed.

I can't just take them back because they aren't defective. The car is lower than it was from what I can tell based on the original pictures and where the bumper to fender line intersects the top of the SS wheel. I get it's maybe not low enough, but I think we might find that it's more related to Bilstein's than the springs (given that the issue seems only to exist that way on a few cars, clearly there are cars pictured in this thread that aren't that high on other shocks).
I get that every car is different, and frankly I'm tired of hearing it. The car was 100% stock when I bought it so no springs were cut nor were any aftermarket spring on the car.

As I stated in my previous post I removed the sway bar completely (drove around on it for a while) and it did not move a centimeter. In the pics, if you look, the sway bar end links are as loose as it will be either out the nut coming off, so end links being too tight is not the issue.

I did not take measurements before when it was stock. I'm sorry but anyone who looks at the original picture (the day I bought the car 2 yrs old) and compares it to the most recent pic (taken over the weekend, 5 months after installing) can see that the car did not move at all. Draw a line from the fender to the bumper line and it is clear as day that it crosses the exact same spot on the wheel. This is not like it dropped a half inch and its just not "low enough" for me. It didn't move at all. If it did drop any, it is not "enough" for the human eye to tell. (what..1/8" drop?)

So since I cannot return them, since they are not defective, what are my options?? All I know is there is no way in hell I am dropping another $500 for lowered a-arms to get the ~1.2" drop the struts/springs should have given me. ($620)
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Well I guess I'll cross alignment of the list.

Okay, when you installed the shock/spring assembly did the lower shock mount/ control arm bolt holes line up easily allowing easy install of the mount bolts; or did you encounter some difficulty getting the bolt hole to line up and install the mount bolts?
it was a little tight, but a few light taps on it with a rubber mallet it I was able to get the bolts in.

Did you guys keep the insert that lays inside the lower perch or did you guys remove it and just sit the spring on it?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ThoR294
My car dropped significantly... but are you 100% sure those were stock uncut parts in your car before?
Yes I am 100% sure the stock springs were not cut. The original owner, whom I bought the car from, was 60 yrs old when he bought it and did not touch anything on the car. He didn't even know much about the car when I talked to him on the phone. haha He just drove it on the weekends and to church. Every upgrade on the car has been by me.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

The struts on the front are on the correct perch? I forgot which one I used...
Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ThoR294
The struts on the front are on the correct perch? I forgot which one I used...
I have Bilstein struts, which only have one perch.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be curious what the measurement from the bottom mounting point to the perch is on other shocks vs the Bilsteins. I have a set of Bilsteins (not installed yet) that I could measure, if someone has something else (Koni?) to measure for comparison's sake. Also might help to make sure that Camarokid's don't have a flaw there. Although this wouldn't affect the rear.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

What about comparing spring heights between stranos and the OE ones?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I would be curious what the measurement from the bottom mounting point to the perch is on other shocks vs the Bilsteins. I have a set of Bilsteins (not installed yet) that I could measure, if someone has something else (Koni?) to measure for comparison's sake. Also might help to make sure that Camarokid's don't have a flaw there. Although this wouldn't affect the rear.
I agree... I am now curious to see what mine is. If the perch line is higher than one the stock DC or an older set of Bilsteins, that would explain why it is sitting high. If it is about an inch higher that would also explain why when switching to a 1" lowering spring, the ride height did not change. My car was dropped off at the body shop today for the CME so I will not be able to get measurements for a few days.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
it was a little tight, but a few light taps on it with a rubber mallet it I was able to get the bolts in.

Did you guys keep the insert that lays inside the lower perch or did you guys remove it and just sit the spring on it?
Yeah, you want the plastic insert in the spring seat.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

27 Front 27 1/4 Rear
Brand new, bought beginning of March.
Strano Springs and Bilsteins.

My previous setup was all worn out and horrid. I double checked the measurements and the front sits lower. I love the ride and everything. No issues. All new spring perches and insulators, new A-Arm bushings, newish A-arm mounts, so prob will lower a little I say, I don't have many miles on the new setup, did a cam swap and a bunch of other things so til money recoups the cruising is long distances on KY back roads.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Yun Gunz: Did you happen to take measurements before the swap?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For reference, in case it is of any help at all - I have not installed them with the Strano springs on my car, so I can't say how it sits yet (May 4th is the install day).
Attached Thumbnails Strano Springs ride height?-2013-04-22-18.32.11.jpg  

Quick Reply: Strano Springs ride height?