Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Springs ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your best bet would be to get a set of BMRs and do the comparison. Worst case scenario, I'm sure you could sell those Stranos to someone local. It's hard to find a set of stiffer springs that will sit higher. I see a lot of people ask that question on occasion.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

So according to you EVERYONE that has this problem made the same SILLY mistake? Why not one of the members that have installed BMR have yet to complain about ride height? Please... You are one of the naive fellows this Strano guy craves upon. Do not disrespect the members who have tried to make these springs work and have failed. There are more guys with problems that just choose to keep it at PM level and that has also surfaced here in this thread.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
So according to you EVERYONE that has this problem made the same SILLY mistake? Why not one of the members that have installed BMR have yet to complain about ride height? Please... You are one of the naive fellows this Strano guy craves upon. Do not disrespect the members who have tried to make these springs work and have failed. There are more guys with problems that just choose to keep it at PM level and that has also surfaced here in this thread.
Look at the pictures. How could stranos springs possibly sit at the same height as the OE springs? Something has to be not right with the install.

I'm not naive, and I made a mistake on my install and had to go re-install it to have them setup right... I can understand OPs frustration, but if he can prove its a defective spring (i.e. buy poser BMR springs, or put another OE set on)...
Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
Look at the pictures. How could stranos springs possibly sit at the same height as the OE springs? Something has to be not right with the install.
Not necessarily. What's your assumption based on? The height of the springs? The rates are different, and thus when preloaded in the coilover assembly and with the vehicle weight on them, the "shorter" spring very well could sit higher than the "taller" spring.

You'd be right if we were comparing apples-to-apples - same spring rate, material, wire diameter, number of coils and diameter of the winding.

Sure, the Strano is shorter, but it's also much more stiff and won't compress as much as the stocker if an equal amount of weight is placed on them.

Also, earlier on someone mentioned that it's possibly due to the worn out decarbons vs the new shocks. While there's a very small chance that could be true, I don't see that being very feasible.

That being said, I won't even take a guess at what caused it, as I don't want to be involved in the "Strano/BMR/LS1Tech" drama without being able to rely on first hand experience.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Not necessarily. What's your assumption based on? The height of the springs? The rates are different, and thus when preloaded in the coilover assembly and with the vehicle weight on them, the "shorter" spring very well could sit higher than the "taller" spring.

You'd be right if we were comparing apples-to-apples - same spring rate, material, wire diameter, number of coils and diameter of the winding.

Sure, the Strano is shorter, but it's also much more stiff and won't compress as much as the stocker if an equal amount of weight is placed on them.

Also, earlier on someone mentioned that it's possibly due to the worn out decarbons vs the new shocks. While there's a very small chance that could be true, I don't see that being very feasible.

That being said, I won't even take a guess at what caused it, as I don't want to be involved in the "Strano/BMR/LS1Tech" drama without being able to rely on first hand experience.
I agree 100%. My car had a healthy suspension when I upgraded. I wanted to eliminate my wheel gap a little and just have a more responsive car. I got both. I do not have a great picture of the before photos (lost my phone which had all my real before pictures). I can tell you my car is a dream compared to what it was.

Like I said, OP needs another set of springs/shocks to go in the front and then we can really see
Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

^^ This is the reason why I made this thread. I can insure you everything is installed properly. I install and re-install everything correctly and both times it did not move at all. I ordered BMR springs last night,since Sam wouldn't let me swap springs to at least rule it out as the issue, and will install them to see if there is any difference.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree 100%. My car had a healthy suspension when I upgraded. I wanted to eliminate my wheel gap a little and just have a more responsive car. I got both.
My car only had 49K baby driven (man in his 60's with MS) miles on it when they were swapped. (bought the car with a little shy of 48K) I only upgraded the suspension because I wanted a lower stance and something that would help the car in ride comfort. I got only one.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

in for results with the BMR's on the car. This could get very interesting!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm not naive, and I made a mistake on my install and had to go re-install it to have them setup right... I can understand OPs frustration, but if he can prove its a defective spring (i.e. buy poser BMR springs, or put another OE set on)...
Poser BMR springs....Jesus. Listen, try and use your OWN judgement and logic. Where you there when BMR stole the design? If that is so why BMR customer have a near 100% satisfaction with both lowering and performance?? Can you testify of the veracity of this stolen design story?? I can tell you that I could not BUT I will tell you this...I would NEVER put my trust in a guy with the likes of Sam Strano who in view of some unsatisfied customers offers ZERO help, blame his customer and even lies in a public forum saying his LOWERING springs do not come with a "lowering" warranty. If you want to go that road so be it but try to use your own logic to reach educated guesses and meaningful arguments.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Poser BMR springs....Jesus. Listen, try and use your OWN judgement and logic. Where you there when BMR stole the design? If that is so why BMR customer have a near 100% satisfaction with both lowering and performance?? Can you testify of the veracity of this stolen design story?? I can tell you that I could not BUT I will tell you this...I would NEVER put my trust in a guy with the likes of Sam Strano who in view of some unsatisfied customers offers ZERO help, blame his customer and even lies in a public forum saying his LOWERING springs do not come with a "lowering" warranty. If you want to go that road so be it but try to use your own logic to reach educated guesses and meaningful arguments.
Do some searching idiot. i was around for it...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ch-better.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...s-stranos.html

lol @ lowering springs will work on OE shocks... do they even know how shocks work?

Last edited by ThoR294; 04-25-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Do some searching idiot. i was around for it...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ch-better.html
A thread here is "research". Okay. Very scientific and logical....you must be a goddamn genius. If you decide to call me an idiot have fun with your name calling. I passed kindergarten a long time ago.....I have been here LONGER than you little man. Im waiting on you explanation as to why BMR spring customer are almost 100% satisfied (with pics to show). I guess I will wait for a LONG time.

Since its obvious I am dealing with a brainless fanboy I will leave you alone, as the saying goes, "You Can Only Take a Horse to a River-You Cannot Make it Drink".
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

A thread here is "research". Okay. Very scientific and logical....you must be a goddamn genius. If you decide to call me an idiot have fun with your name calling. I passed kindergarten a long time ago.....I have been here LONGER than you little man. Im waiting on you explanation as to why BMR spring customer are almost 100% satisfied (with pics to show). I guess I will wait for a LONG time.

Since its obvious I am dealing with a brainless fanboy I will leave you alone, as the saying goes, "You Can Only Take a Horse to a River-You Cannot Make it Drink".
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ring-kits.html

Sorry man. I just like to read and put 2 and 2 together. Unlike you
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

okay.....
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

okay.....
seems like strano spring customers are ALMOST 100% satisfied... not to mention he talks people OUT OF BUYING THINGS that they DO NOT NEED.

Sam helped me with my install. He told me to call him when I was ready to put them in. I was installing them late and didn't want to bother him. I apparently messed up the install on the stop of the front struts (with the washer) and I called him a week later and he walked me through the install. He guided me to a baseline set-up also.

After reading BMR say lowering springs are fine with stock shocks.... I laughed pretty good
Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

okay....
Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP post results after you get your BMRs.

Hopefully this thread doesn't get locked.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
My car only had 49K baby driven (man in his 60's with MS) miles on it when they were swapped. (bought the car with a little shy of 48K) I only upgraded the suspension because I wanted a lower stance and something that would help the car in ride comfort. I got only one.
With springs age is also a factor. Cycling them can wear them faster, sure, but sitting with the weight on them for the past 10+ years can sag them over time also.

We do know there is quite a variance in stock springs as we've seen stock cars looking not too bad and others looking like they have a lift kit. My old 98 had sagged and it looked lower than a lot of stock cars on here. It sat slightly lower than my current 99 does, and my 99 even has the rear isolators taken out (Stranos aren't installed in it yet, next weekend).

I know there is no way of knowing this, but I'm curious what height your car was at when brand new. Just another curiosity thing.

I'm curious to see how the BMR and Strano springs look like side by side, then how the car looks after the BMR springs are installed.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I'm curious to see how the BMR and Strano springs look like side by side, then how the car looks after the BMR springs are installed.
I think this is a fitting conclusion to this thread, which slowly but surely has headed downhill.

We'll eagerly await a fresh thread from Camarokid327 once he has his BMR's in and can make a comparison.

Quick Reply: Strano Springs ride height?