Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SA qa1s 300lb spring rides like crap!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

QA1's are pretty low end dampers. They cost more than really cheap stuff because they are coil-over. They aren't great shocks. I've replaced a lot of them on customers cars, and never once has anyone felt there wasn't a big improvement in the way the car drove. The last car was an '06 Z06 where we swapped the QA1's it had for Koni's.

Guy can do lots of things, doesn't mean it's the right answer. People track box stock cars too, does that mean they are the best they can be? Of course not. I'm sure people drag race box stock cars, you don't... because you know it can be better, right?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok point taken, but just swapping to Konis wouldn't really help since he would lose the benefits of a coilover system ie: his car's stance

Originally Posted by 346_chevelle
... I love the stance of the setup ...
Theres always the option of getting konis and a coilover conversion kit. That way you can specify spring rate you want, and you can adjust the car's ride height. Only problem is you still have to modify your Konis and you're at a total easily over $1g. That may be worth it to some but personally I wouldn't want to chop up brand new Konis... just my .02

Last edited by Dmjr228; 01-17-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: specific Prices removed
Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
ooooh that's going to open a can of worms!

lol... here we go...

Originally Posted by duh
It's funny that you call QA1 low end. If seen them on cars worth well over 3 times as much as an fbody was new, and those cars turn just fine. Well, a bit better then fine actually. Guys auto cross and road course QA1's without issue. But again for my setup, they do the job I ask them to. Since I wasn't trying to start a pissing contest over which shocks are better I'll just step back to the original topic as to why his 300 lb springs are riding like crap.
Alright, lets get some things strait. The QA1's available for our cars are low end garbage drag shocks that are not gas charged and known for leaking.
The "high end" cars you see using them that "turn fine" are the "pro-touring" guys right? Yeah, compared to their worn out 40+ year old suspension I bet the QA1s are "just fine". Take a look at what they are using when they actually want to be competitive... Ill give you a hint, its not QA1s.
I told you I've been there done that, Ive got a direct comparison apples to apples with another fbody, the QA1s are not even close to being in the same ballpark as a real sport shock, total night and day difference.
The original topic is why his shocks are riding like crap, the 300lbs spring is a miniscule change (as already stated, an 8lbs/in difference) from a stock LS1 front spring, the issue is the shocks.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weeoo! Who wacked this hornets nest!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They ride like crap because the shock valving sucks, the ride height is too low, and the spring rate is too low.

Solution ?

Get some Kona SAs or Bilsteins, set the ride height so you still have a reasonably amount of shock compression travel, and finally go with at least a 500 lb.in. spring rate.

BTW, I've had custom length QA1 SA's, and QA1 DA's an I ran them with 550lb.in.,600lb.in., and even 625lb.in. spring rates and even then the ride and handling were OK at best.
Been there, done that, waste of money!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 01-17-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Quick Reply: SA qa1s 300lb spring rides like crap!!