Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upper control arm and shock angles

Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper control arm and shock angles

I'm struggling with a "stiff" front suspension; I haven't been able to find any binds when it's in the air sitting with all four rotors on blocks. Everything front and back moves smoothly ; hit a bump or a manhole cover going down the road, though, and it feels like the suspension is welded together.

2 things I've noticed:

1. The driver side upper arm rotates around the bushings; there's no play, but the arm doesn't grab the bushings like the passenger side does (passenger side is actually flexing the rubber of the bushing as it rotates, which I assume is correct)

2. The front shocks seem to be sitting with the top mount forward of the bottom mount, which seems backwards; I'd expect the bottom mount to be very slightly ahead of the top so that the shock compresses correctly. Is this configuration correct?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

That sounds backwards. Google 'caster angle' and that should explain some things to you. I wouldn't be surprised if something was actually bound upon compression; however I am unaware how this could happen unless the control arms could somehow be flipped (tubular?) or are off the wrong vehicle. I wouldn't think the left could be installed on the right and actually bolt up. Are you running a front swaybar? I wouldn't think it would bolt up if so.

As for the bushing although incorrect ( the one that allows the arm to free spin) should be replaced it should not cause positive caster angles. However if it is split in the center a jolt you could feel would be the arm bottoming out on the through bolt. It should be replaced.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Launching!

The first thing I thought of was I managed to switch them, but there's the extra nub on the forward side of each that acts as a key, so they can't be swapped (they/re the original stock ones). The shock lines up with the lower arm, too, so I guess that's evidence that it's all correct, seems wrong though. When I get it all back together I'll put the angle finder on it just to be sure.

I have a couple of sets of upper bushings and some fit snug in the arm while others will slide right in and out. None are tight enough to prevent it from rotating, I don't think. I'm going to try to tap the flange in a bit with a punch as far around as I can go; that'll at least give me a little more peace of mind until I can locate a pair of replacement arms.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Perhaps I will go pull a tire off mine and take a picture. Hopefully it can shed light.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

(Have an 02 ws6 despite old sig)
Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteStallion00
1. The driver side upper arm rotates around the bushings; there's no play, but the arm doesn't grab the bushings like the passenger side does (passenger side is actually flexing the rubber of the bushing as it rotates, which I assume is correct)
The upper arm bracket is not physically attached to the rubber upper shock mount. It only sits on top, and is held in place by the studs and bolts. Check that those 4 fasteners on the shock tower are tight.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I was about to correct myself, the arms themselves (w/o the shock mount) can be swapped, back and forth accidentally, and that would push the top of the steering knuckle way forward, but wouldn't affect the shock angle. That's governed by the shape of the shock tower under the hood. The angle must be right.

I actually loosened the upper shock nuts and bolts and re-torqued them the other day as I noticed the book says 30 and 37lbft and I was way over that. For a minute, i thought it made a little difference, but I don't think it did.

I'm under there this weekend swapping out the motor mounts so I'll take look around and see if anything else is out of whack.

Curious what RSBeast sees when he looks at his.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteStallion00
Yeah, I was about to correct myself, the arms themselves (w/o the shock mount) can be swapped, back and forth accidentally, and that would push the top of the steering knuckle way forward, but wouldn't affect the shock angle.
That does sound possible. Here's mine for reference.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Launching!

It kinda looks like your upper mount is slightly forward of the bottom, too; hard to tell from this angle.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, correct, the rubber flexes/twists between the bushing's outer shell and it's inner sleeve as the arm articulates...

but, there should be no free rotation between the outer shell and the inner sleeve, the rubber twisting is resisting this rotation
(if there is free rotation, then the rubber has become detached, and the bushing has failed)...

is this what you're asking...?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

The bolt/nut should be clamping the inner sleeve tight to the bracket so it can't rotate.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

The bushing shell should be a press fit into the arm, i.e. the bushing shell should not rotate relative to the arm.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Your last post is my dilemma; I have 3 sets of bushings from changing them out over the years and about half of them I can push in by hand, the other half will bottom out with a smack from a rubber mallet while I hold the arm in the air. This is true with both sides of the driver side arm, but the pass side requires my makeshift press rig to take them in and out.

I noticed today while changing the balljoints that the driver side lower balljoint doesn't take nearly as much pressure are the pass side to get it in. Looks like it's time to find a new set of upper and lower arms

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upper control arm and shock angles