Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade

Hey guys. The brakes on my red 99 T/A are pretty much shot. Im looking to upgrade them. Trying to figure out if i want to go with EBC again like i did on my street truck and lik ei had on my pewter T/A or go with the 6LE designs c5 conversion kit. What do yal think?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of driving/racing do you do with the car?

Conventional options are:

1). Stock 98-02 Fbody Calipers with upgraded pads, Stainless brake lines
2). Stock 98-02 with C5 Calipers on stock Fbody sized rotors
3). C5 Conversion Bracket with 98-02 Fbody Calipers and C5 sized rotors (13") and C5 pads
4). C5 Conversion with C5 Calipers and C5 sized rotors and C5 pads
5). CTS-V calipers setup with 5th gen or Z06 calipers (with wheel spacers for most rims)

Each setup really has it's own merits. Im personally going with #3, but just because I currently have single piston LT1 brakes and it will be a phenominal upgrade for my '95. It would be a lesser upgrade for a 98-02 car.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 02-07-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Teching In

At the moment the car is my daily. I mainly run on the highway and thats all i really drive to school and work. With my new job i will be coming into more $ to spend on the car to make her faster. I like the whole 6LE c5 conversion kit for the price with rotors and pads and all the hardware for $775
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MasterTomos

3). C5 Conversion Bracket with 98-02 Fbody Calipers and C5 sized rotors (13")
4). C5 Conversion with C5 Calipers and C5 sized rotors
5). CTS-V calipers setup with 5th gen or Z06 calipers

Each setup really has it's own merits. Im personally going with #3, but just because I currently have single piston LT1 brakes and it will be a phenominal upgrade for my '95. It would be a lesser upgrade for a 98-02 car.
Nicely written up!
I personally am going with #4, plus steel lines. Also expecting a huge upgrade over the stock 1 piston LT1 brakes.

If I had an LS1 car, like OP, I would do #2 most likely, depending on the soze of your wheels. If you have the room and the budget #5 would give you the best braking.

As said above, really depends on the style of driving you do... street, autoX, drag etc...
Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

OP, you have C5 magnesiums too??

Awesome wheels!! I cant wait to get mine on in the spring. Being the fact that you are limited by 17" wheels, go with Option number 3 for sure.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

3). C5 Conversion Bracket with 98-02 Fbody Calipers and C5 sized rotors (13")
4). C5 Conversion with C5 Calipers and C5 sized rotors
5). CTS-V calipers setup with 5th gen or Z06 calipers

Great Explanation. I'd only add the following:
On #3 & #4 list C5 pads. If you use Fbod pads (which are offset a bit) the pad will run off of the rotor and start wearing on the outer diameter of the rotor.

I've done both #3 & #4 with Russell steel braided lines.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pewter Lurch
At the moment the car is my daily. I mainly run on the highway and thats all i really drive to school and work. With my new job i will be coming into more $ to spend on the car to make her faster. I like the whole 6LE c5 conversion kit for the price with rotors and pads and all the hardware for $775
If you are not going to be road racing the car then that is total overkill. Quality blank rotors + Hawk HPS pads will have you stopping WAY better than the stock junk.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Great Explanation. I'd only add the following:
On #3 & #4 list C5 pads. If you use Fbod pads (which are offset a bit) the pad will run off of the rotor and start wearing on the outer diameter of the rotor.

I've done both #3 & #4 with Russell steel braided lines.
Good point. I added them. I noticed that question about which pads to use comes up a lot with the fbody calipers/c5 rotors setup.

How did the 98-02 Fbody Calipers with C5 rotors/pads work? Notice any difference between them and the C5 calipers? Im sure you'd feel more of a difference between brake pads than the different calipers.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94LT1TA6spd
OP, you have C5 magnesiums too??

Awesome wheels!! I cant wait to get mine on in the spring. Being the fact that you are limited by 17" wheels, go with Option number 3 for sure.
Yeah i have OE Mags. I love them!! Very unique on F-bodys from what i have seen!
Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If you are not going to be road racing the car then that is total overkill. Quality blank rotors + Hawk HPS pads will have you stopping WAY better than the stock junk.
I will be main reason i am wanting them is because i have a lake house out in BFE off country roads that the speed limit are at 70 and are twists and turns. Plus out here lately the drivers seem to be ******* retarded and i have had a few close calls with my stockers when they were new so i def want to replace them and like the look of a bigger rotor that fits my wheel.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will be main reason i am wanting them is because i have a lake house out in BFE off country roads that the speed limit are at 70 and are twists and turns. Plus out here lately the drivers seem to be ******* retarded and i have had a few close calls with my stockers when they were new so i def want to replace them and like the look of a bigger rotor that fits my wheel.
Just saying you don't have to spend that kind of money to get great stopping power. The biggest reason most go with the C5 calipers is they are stronger than the Fbody's so they wont spread as quickly after some hard road racing - on the street thats nothing to worry about. That being said many are very successful with stock size rotors and proper pads - this will make a huge difference.
While you are talking about twisty roads Ill mention that #1 priority should be good shocks, as they will make the most difference out of any suspension piece hands down. For whatever reason so many skimp on shocks thinking they need springs, swaybars, control arms etc first which couldn't be further from the truth.
edit: just read threw a previous post of yours and saw you are on sportlines, ditch those things, they are too low and too soft for handling, you just end up riding the bumpstops and rattling your teeth out.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

A guy on here did a successful swap using 5th gen calipers and rotors on the fronts. Looks really good.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Just saying you don't have to spend that kind of money to get great stopping power. The biggest reason most go with the C5 calipers is they are stronger than the Fbody's so they wont spread as quickly after some hard road racing - on the street thats nothing to worry about. That being said many are very successful with stock size rotors and proper pads - this will make a huge difference.
While you are talking about twisty roads Ill mention that #1 priority should be good shocks, as they will make the most difference out of any suspension piece hands down. For whatever reason so many skimp on shocks thinking they need springs, swaybars, control arms etc first which couldn't be further from the truth.
edit: just read threw a previous post of yours and saw you are on sportlines, ditch those things, they are too low and too soft for handling, you just end up riding the bumpstops and rattling your teeth out.
Honestly they arent that bad. Ride smoother than my old t/a on stock. I think the guy that did them did shocks also but honestly dont know. Looks like im be going with either baer or ebc rotors and hawk or ebc pads.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Honestly they arent that bad. Ride smoother than my old t/a on stock.
Thats not saying much...
All im saying is you could have a much better riding and handling car with different springs and good shocks.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Thats not saying much...
All im saying is you could have a much better riding and handling car with different springs and good shocks.
Yeah we will see. Im in the process of needing to do other things like replace the brakes and this **** fiberglass hood and rewire the headlights and replace the crappy geas with brass. Shocks and everything will be when i know i have the $ to spend and it wond affect me paying for school and rent.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Good point. I added them. I noticed that question about which pads to use comes up a lot with the fbody calipers/c5 rotors setup.

How did the 98-02 Fbody Calipers with C5 rotors/pads work? Notice any difference between them and the C5 calipers? Im sure you'd feel more of a difference between brake pads than the different calipers.

I'm thinking of going back to fbod calipers .
The rear pads wear faster with the C5 calipers.

I pieced my system together pretty cheap.
It's a great upgrade for a DD, IMO.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Not to threadjack, but say I want to keep 17" wheels. What is the highest performance setup I can get for autox/street/roadrace track days that I can do with small or no wheel spacers? I greatly prefer NO spacer. Ive got a 9", so floating rears is not required.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Not sure about the rears, but 13" rotors with 98-02 fbody calipers or C5/C6 calipers would be the cheapest. There are aftermarket options for 17" wheels too. I believe wilwood makes a 6 piston that fits under a 17".
Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

TTT

I am with rabid. Anyone?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

^^^
Ive got 17" wheels, and went with the C5Z caliper upgrade with 13" rotors, steel lines and hawk pads. Mine is a weekend only car, used mostly for autoX
Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

I'm upgrading from lt1 to ls1 front brakes. I think a good set of rotors and pads is all u seem to need

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade