Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car to sit for 1 year or longer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car to sit for 1 year or longer question

I searched and couldn't seem to find an answer to my question. I'm currently working on my 2002 camaro z28. Redoing everything from suspension, rear end, wheels, tranny, and engine. I just got finished with the front end suspension, bmr k member, upper and lower a arms, strange shocks and hypercoils. Next I plan on doing my rear (mwc fab 9) then onto the engine and tranny. My question is, I don't plan on being done till next summer or even longer, so should I put my car on jack stands for that amount of time where the suspension isn't loaded? Or is it ok just to leave it on the ground? Or any other advice or tips? It will always be garaged too. Thanks

Jordan
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I forgot to mention there is no motor and no tranny in it right now.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's fine to leave it on the ground; but seeing the whole front end is new, and I'm assuming you're replacing the rear springs/suspension as well, jackstands will be fine too. The issue comes in when leaving it a long time on stock/old springs, they can sometimes cause issues, but with you having all new stuff, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only thing you'll want to do is roll it a foot or two every once in a while to prevent the tires from developing flat spots. Or toss some crappy rims and tires on there, that's what I did. Mine sat for over a year with no drivetrain on stock suspension just fine.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by a friend that his buddy's QA1's started leaking after the car spent time on stands (suspension fully unloaded) for an extended period of time (not sure how long). I have QA1's SA's so when I put my car up for three years I place the stands under the rear axle and the front k-member. I used some blocks of wood to place under the A-arms to prevent them from fully unloading.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks guys. It's on some roll around rims and tires anyways so ill just leave it on the ground for now. And the whole rear suspension will be redone as well so no worries about that. Thanks

Jordan
Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

If you end up with flat spots on the tires, you can try filling them to max pressure and let them set a couple of weeks. Worked for me once.

BobP
Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BobP
If you end up with flat spots on the tires, you can try filling them to max pressure and let them set a couple of weeks. Worked for me once.

BobP
Ok ya they are all at about 38 right now

Quick Reply: Car to sit for 1 year or longer question