Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilsteins or Konis for a dropped "cruiser" car

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I can call and pick your brain more if I am going to be placing an order (I know it takes a lot of time to explain it all on a forum), but Sam - based on what usage I've described, do the additional cost of the Konis (over the bilsteins) make sense, or am I splitting hairs at this point? Just looking for a short answer from you

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm all for helping out but I have to be a little careful because there are folks that want to get all my advice then run off to what they think the best deal is.

I keep holding out hope that people find value in service and knowledge. Many do, but a few times a month I'm used for information then kicked aside for saving a few bucks (I guess those folks don't think my time and effort is worth anything....)

It's getting to the point I've thought about doing what some others have had to and setting up a consultation fee system that is refunded upon ordering. That way I don't feel so used, and folks can pick my brain if they want to and do what they want otherwise. But I hate that idea..... Really don't want to (and haven't), so if I can help give me a yell.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have herd bilsteins are not good for lowered cars.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They can work ok, depends on what the goals (and frankly the budget) are like. I love my Koni's and you'd be hard pressed to find many who've had both shocks that wouldn't pick Koni over Bilstein (a few admittedly are out there and they have their reasons).

I'm not here to sell one over the other. I'm here to get you setup with what suits your needs the best. I sell both, makes no nevermind to me which you get from me, as long as they make you happy.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam, If I order the HP4 kit,will this be a problem with my long tube headers? I am using stock wheels, also how long will it take to get the kit

thanks for your time
Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have the shocks and springs in stock....

Headers all hang lower (some more than others) and anytime you lower a car there could be some issue. But we don't slam the car in front at all.... so if a lowering springs is going to work, I'd say mine are going to be one of the better options.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

thanks Sam

order on the way for HP5

Last edited by CamaroFreak; 02-28-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Strano Videos seem to not be working, maybe its my computer?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been reading a ton today....

It really seems although the Strano spring setup gives the looks I want, it's not going to give me the ride I want.

The option of Koni lower perch and the heater hose mod seems like a good compromise. Not quite as low as I want, but retains ride quality - although, I read some folks saying stock ride quality, others saying the lower perch degraded ride quality. I can't see why it wouldn't be the same as stock...why would the lower perch hurt ride quality?

Go with the SLP/Bilstein setup...again, mild drop but not as much of an increase in "firmness". I've read that SLP springs are just eibachs...I've read that the other eibach offerings droop/sag over time. Are the "SLP" version junk too?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could see their being some kind of change in quality on lower perch just because it's the same spring with further to travel. So it won't be as compacted, who knows?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
I could see their being some kind of change in quality on lower perch just because it's the same spring with further to travel. So it won't be as compacted, who knows?
I don't think it would be further, would it? Either way the weight of the car sits on the compressed spring. I could potentially see bottoming out the shock earlier as being a problem, but then wouldn't you potentially have the same issue on a lowering spring?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can read all you want about how to figure out what you think will be a good ride quality, and it will never get you anywhere. Ride quality is subjective to your opinion. Only you know what you think rides well or doesn't ride well. Like asking everyone if sushi tastes good.

The best way to do it is to identify what type of ride quality characteristics you want. Different shocks and springs will drive a certain way.

Also keep in mind many people's ride quality also depends on other things they have on their car. Many people don't set them up correctly. Different bumpstops and different wheel sizes and tire types make a difference.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

My budget only allows for the Bilsteins at this time but my car is nothing crazy. Strano Springs and Bilsteins I am sure no doubt will be better than the crap on the car now, RK Sports and Monroes...
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ahhh, yep I think so...
Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

I run the strano/koni set on my car and no other setup i have had compares.The ride height is not so low that you looked slammed to the ground ,but you can see a big difference over the stock height.i run 315 tires and have had no rubbing issues with this setup.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Just do it. Drop it n rock it. You only live once. I love mine. I swear it outhandles me.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Been reading a ton today....

It really seems although the Strano spring setup gives the looks I want, it's not going to give me the ride I want.

The option of Koni lower perch and the heater hose mod seems like a good compromise. Not quite as low as I want, but retains ride quality - although, I read some folks saying stock ride quality, others saying the lower perch degraded ride quality. I can't see why it wouldn't be the same as stock...why would the lower perch hurt ride quality?

Go with the SLP/Bilstein setup...again, mild drop but not as much of an increase in "firmness". I've read that SLP springs are just eibachs...I've read that the other eibach offerings droop/sag over time. Are the "SLP" version junk too?
My ride quality was degraded by going this route. Any discoveries to a reason here?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Short and sweet of it is I ended up doing Bilsteins with cut OE springs and some mods to the upper mount and some other bumpstops (not OE stops).

I am very happy with it thus far. I need to do a side-by-side comparison with a BMR-equipped vehicle to comment on if it's better/worse/same. I have a local guy that wants to check mine out, but as luck would have it, 1 week after getting my setup completed I blew out my clutch. Car's up on stands again while I repair that. Hope to have it back on the road this weekend and do a side-by-side very soon.

Quick Reply: Bilsteins or Konis for a dropped "cruiser" car