Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilsteins or Konis for a dropped "cruiser" car

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Bilsteins or Konis for a dropped "cruiser" car

I plan on purchasing some drop springs - either BMR or Strano - in the future, hopefully near future. It seems to me they are VERY close in spec. I don't want to get into the whole drama over who copied, etc.

I was planning on the Bilstein/Strano setup. For $620, seems like a good deal. Then I just saw BMR's Koni/Spring sale thread, and man, that's a killer deal. I'd be looking at the Koni F4/F3 package.

So, my question to you all is what's best for my application? I have a '00 SS 'vert. I don't race it - I drive it on the street and hammer it straight line often. Frankly, I don't even corner the car hard.

I live in SE MI, so the roads are pretty much garbage. I'm really looking to lower the car for looks mostly. I don't want to firm it up much over stock (yes, I realize there's a tradeoff and it will be firmer lowered, and I think I can live with that). FWIW, I am rockin' the stock springs and decarbons the car came with 13 years ago.

I've read plenty of posts that seem to say that Konis are best paired to handle Sam's springs (and, thus I ASSume BMR's), but that as a next best choice, Bilsteins are it. It does seem, though, that the Bilsteins still would be taxed by the drop springs and have a shorter than average life span.

What do you guys say? Which shock would be more comfortable on the road, and what's really the lifespan difference between the two? I drive the car only in good weather, and best guess is I'd put maybe 7500 miles a year on it.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to go in there to replace them, get konis. They are worth the money and have a lifetime warranty.

That being said it will not ride terrible, but it will jar you a bit. I would say you could try to put konis with stock springs on the lower perch setting and heater hose mod the rear.

Also, buy from Sam Strano himself. You pay for the product and his knowledge which is worth more than anything bmr sells.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've thought about just doing the heater hose mod in the rear and running stock springs, but I think it'll still be too tall for my taste.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Koni shocks have two settings for the lower spring perch on the front. Should drop it around and inch or so. And it will ride great.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you've really got me thinking about this now.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want the handling of strano springs, but the ride of stock would be so much better.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stranos ride really well when paired with a shock that can handle them. Aka Konis. I ran a Koni DA Vogtland set up on my SS and it was night and day compared to stock. Rode well alittle bumpier on rough rodes but thats to be expected. They inspire confidence and all around better handling characteristics. A couple friends run Koni SA Strano combos and they ride great.

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Koni DA with Stranos, and it is rides rougher than I would like on bumpy roads. A lot of it is because of the PHB though. Need a watts link.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

In my opinion you can't win on rough roads no matter what suspension you have setup. You setup the car for a street performance setup. Why try to cater toward a rough ride?

I would go with Koni's if you can afford it. They will hold up a lot better over the long run with lowering springs. The compression isn't adjustable, but adjustment is not needed here if you have just about the typical unsprung weight. Plus its pretty ideal how it is. A wide rebound adjustment for many tastes. Plus the small movements in the Koni's are smooth and won't stick and break free like a lot of cheaper shocks.. good for daily driving.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Banned

i drove my Koni/Strano setup cross country twice. loved it. I wish Sam developed a spring and shock setup for my G8. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had Bilstein's with Eibach Prokit springs, hated the ride, too harsh.

I ended up buying the Koni DA's due to a great price, and once I adjusted it (4 sweeps from full firm fronts, 1 full turn for the rears) the ride and handling became drastically better than anything I ever rode in.
I have 600# front springs and 200# rears but that is due to my extra weight in the back because of my stereo equipment, and the ride is still comfortable and the handling is absolutely fierce!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Atrus I was thinking the same thing. Was allways gonna go for Strano springs but BMR has a great deal on springs and shocks. Hope some BMR guys let you know how they like there setup.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just FYI, the BMR springs are their best attempt at stealing Sam's work. That's why I said pay the extra and go for strano.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am probably going to have to re-evaluate the whole thing. Basically, Sam's $620 package was stretching my budget but I thought I may be able to swing it. The Koni deal is a GREAT deal, but yeah - it's probably over my budget. I am also very intrigued at the thought of my OEM shocks with Konis and the heater hose mod. I held up a ruler and I think it would help the 4x4 look more than I thought. the rear is a little saggy as it is, so a 3/4" drop there and a 1" drop in the front may be just enough for me to be happy.

I'll have to step back, regroup, and think about this some more.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

1. I have Koni's on sale too... And in fact if you were just buying Koni's the price is actually less than the other guys.

2. When you buy a Koni/SP141 spring kit the works ships for free which goes to the bottom line and something you should consider.

3. You need to consider value and reputation, also things like who is making this item. I say, quite often, that you can compare a wrench from Matco or Snap-on to one from Harbor Freight. They both might be 12mm's but are they same in how they really work? Use that with anything, $15 shoes from Wal-Mart vs. $100 New Balance, whatever.

4. I'd hope beyond hope that people would be wise enough to consider the bottom lines. Pricing is certainly a part of buying parts. But I don't know about you, I like quality proven products over copies. I also like that I can get knowledgeable support about the products from someone who uses them. I not only use this stuff, I've won National Championships on it. In fact I developed the springs on my own car with Koni's installed. Others have only picked up Koni in the last couple of years to do battle..........

5. I will not give my springs away for free. Mine are not made by a company you've never heard of. Mine actually cost me more now than they did at anytime in the past, but I've held the line on the pricing. It isn't worth it for me to make and pay for springs (all up front fwiw, that's not chump-change) to give them away. I'm sorry, but the realists here know that I do run a business, not a charity. Much like you don't find rebates on great cars only those that they are motivated to sell, I'm not going to give my springs away for free. But I HAVE in fact lowered the package prices on kits with Koni's and springs and again any kit that has both in it, those two items ship for free (in the 48 states).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Good point Sam For $160 more I can get the set up Ive allways wanted Strano and Koni's
Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stranos and Konis here...worth it. I still have yet to put my Konis on the lower perch though...need to get to it.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, Sam's pricing on the 4/3's only is $735 shipped during the sale, right? Set of springs is $250+ shipping any day?

Sam, I follow what you're saying and it makes sense too. I just have to re-evaluate my budget first, and secondly, see what I really want.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Yep. BMR will be like $820 with shipping. So for $160 more Stranos sounds like a much better deal.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
So, Sam's pricing on the 4/3's only is $735 shipped during the sale, right? Set of springs is $250+ shipping any day?

Sam, I follow what you're saying and it makes sense too. I just have to re-evaluate my budget first, and secondly, see what I really want.
If you get springs AND Koni's at the same time... BOTH will ship for free.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Bilsteins or Konis for a dropped "cruiser" car