Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SPOHN pro-drag sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPOHN pro-drag sway bar

I bought this thinking I would love how it would make the rear more stiff and straighten up my launches but I have it on my DD and the rod ends clunk when going over bumps and taking some turns. I messaged SPOHN to see what I could do and they said i'm S.O.L. and that it's the nature of the beast and was never meant for stree use. This one was $368 shipped (it was on sale at the time) and I would really like to get the regular sway bar for half the price. Or if anyone has any options to possibly stop the clunking i'd really appreciate it!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ozark_97z
I bought this thinking I would love how it would make the rear more stiff and straighten up my launches but I have it on my DD and the rod ends clunk when going over bumps and taking some turns. I messaged SPOHN to see what I could do and they said i'm S.O.L. and that it's the nature of the beast and was never meant for stree use. This one was $368 shipped (it was on sale at the time) and I would really like to get the regular sway bar for half the price. Or if anyone has any options to possibly stop the clunking i'd really appreciate it!
This is why they call it a drag bar, and put warnings on some of the drag parts to not be used on the street.
How much power are you making to make you think you need one of those?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Lubricate the bushings real good, it should help
Old 03-03-2013, 02:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like JD mentioned, regardless of what you do that bar is going to be noisy, it is a drag bar and that is what it is intended for, unfortunately.

There is one thing to look at. Are the rod ends Teflon lined? If not a better rod end with a lining will reduce the noise drastically. If they are Teflon lined go under the car and make sure all bolts are tight and all jam nuts. Loose jam nuts will cause noise as well.

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Clunks would be more caused by like worn rod ends or maybe poly on LCAs. The giant drag swaybar will cause more of a rough ride over uneven surfaces but shouldn't cause clunks I wouldn't think.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Go big or go home right? haha
I was planning on a build starting at the rear and working forward ending with a 383. They are teflon lined, I actually figured out what is causing the clunk. Everything is tight and set up exactly how it should be. The rod end is twisting on the ball (like it should) and when it twists it smacks against the sway bar and the bolt.

crack all the jokes you want about me being stupid and not paying attention to the description, **** happens.

Quick Reply: SPOHN pro-drag sway bar