Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

'99 Z28 - Front lower control arm bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '99 Z28 - Front lower control arm bolts?

'99 Z28 M6 w/260K miles.

I need to replace my front lower control arm bushings. I've found the new bushings, but the existing bushings and bolts are frozen together. These are the bolts thru the bushings that attach the lower control arms to the frame. My plan is to cut them out.

My local Chevy dealer tells me that he can get the rear bolts, but the front bolts are discontinued. Autozone doesn't have them, nor does Napa.

Anybody have any idea where I can find a set of these bolts? Part numbers?

Thanks

Bill
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

I ordered the rear bolts from gmparts direct and thinking they were the same length or close but I was wrong rear caster bolt is shorter then front camber bolt. UMI had listed a set of bolts for the whole thing. The caster bolt is more important to be captured because it's a bear to try and get a wrench on it but the front camber bolt you can get to both sides so any bolt that's long enough and will fit through the bushing with no slop will work.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

I actually had to drop the k member out of the car and grind the heads off the caster bolts they were stuck so bad in the bushing.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rodinator1234
I actually had to drop the k member out of the car and grind the heads off the caster bolts they were stuck so bad in the bushing.
Uhhhh ....... wow. I hadn't even thought of that possibility! Hopefully mine will be much easier than that!

I did find the UMI bolt kit, and I ordered it last night. I couldn't get the lower control arms off when I did the rest of the front suspension. So hopefully this time the lowers come out and I can get the new bushings in without too much difficulty. I had to replace a front caliper a couple of months ago, so I want to replace the other one. And then replace the rubber brake hoses at the same time.

Now I'm shooting for 300k miles out of this car.

Thanks for the response!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billscamaros
Uhhhh ....... wow. I hadn't even thought of that possibility! Hopefully mine will be much easier than that!

I did find the UMI bolt kit, and I ordered it last night. I couldn't get the lower control arms off when I did the rest of the front suspension. So hopefully this time the lowers come out and I can get the new bushings in without too much difficulty. I had to replace a front caliper a couple of months ago, so I want to replace the other one. And then replace the rubber brake hoses at the same time.

Now I'm shooting for 300k miles out of this car.

Thanks for the response!
Bill, how did the bolt kit work out for you? did everything fit fine? I am about to tackle this job and want to order new bolts for my stock front lower control arms just incase the old ones do not come out, and if they do i am just gonna replace them anyway.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
Bill, how did the bolt kit work out for you? did everything fit fine? I am about to tackle this job and want to order new bolts for my stock front lower control arms just incase the old ones do not come out, and if they do i am just gonna replace them anyway.
Sorry .... just saw your post. Yep, the bolt kit worked fine. I had already tried to beat the old ones out, and I knew that I was going to have to destroy them to get them out. That part wasn't fun. But the new bolts worked fine.

Quick Reply: '99 Z28 - Front lower control arm bolts?