Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard bar/relocation install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No, it shouldn't hit/touch the fuel tank.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
ChrisRZ28 , so what's your reason for lowering your phb....?
I've been trying to figure a logical reason, but I can't find one.
Because running the PHB in the stock location means you are leaving some handling performance on the table. When you lower an fbody, the roll center (an imaginary line that runs from front to back in the center of the car), will lower in the front more than the back. When you lower the PHB (or run a watts link), you can lower the roll center in the back and the car will handle a little better. When I lowered mine, I felt the difference as soon as I went around the first corner. What happens is the back end feels more planted/stable around corners. Nothing (as far as I can tell), changes driving/ride in a straight line. The only reason I don't use a watts link is that I can't justify the cost when I can add brackets and lower the PHB cheaper and pretty much get the same results as a watts. And yes, you need to know how to weld or find someone who does. It's easier to make fine adjustments to the watts (helpful for autocrossers on different surfaces) then the PHB, but 99% of the people who DD their cars aren't going to be able to tell the difference between the two. The other thing that you need to add to the axle side is a brace for the bracket to the axle tube to strenghten the bracket. I'll see if I can get a decent picture of the brace and post it. My axle side bracket I got from Summit, but they don't sell a chassis side bracket, so I made my own. Unbalanced Engineering sells both, but it cost more then the Summit stuff. Cost is why I bought from Summit. I'm cheap!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
No it isn't, because the panhard still swings in an arc, making the rear move left and right as the suspension moves. A Watts has zero left/right motion.
Yes, they work differently, but what I should have said was the end result is pretty much the same. At least that's what I got from the discussions on Frrax a number of years ago.

Originally Posted by Reaperchild
Easy Install true ... unless its your relo Bar to fit !!
My Founder PH Relocation Bar is short by almost 5-8mm & wouldn't reach the 3 Top Bolts =( ... I will have to twist my Chassis (Relo Bracket Area) to the inside to get them to fit the 3 bolts on the driver side.

One more thing ... is the PHRelo Bar supposed to hit the Fuel Tank ?? (Another Nightmare from Yesterday)
I can't really comment on the PHB brace as mine is stock. But I'd think that it shouldn't hit the fuel tank. Neither the PHB or the PHB brace should be touching anything. If you haven't done it yet, call up Founders and ask them about it.

Last edited by ChrisRZ28; 05-20-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I can't really comment on the PHB brace as mine is stock. But I'd think that it shouldn't hit the fuel tank. Neither the PHB or the PHB brace should be touching anything. If you haven't done it yet, call up Founders and ask them about it.
Turned Out My Stock PH-Brace was modified to fit on the 3-Bolts side, Probably from my last couple of years rear accident (Stupid Tourists )

I'm 5-10mm away from the 3 Bolts to fit .... What should I do ??

Resize the chassis angle (or widen the middle bracket bolt thread?
or
Resize the New PH-Brace 3 Bolts space (Tuff fit) ?

Last edited by Reaperchild; 05-21-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Can you elongate the 3 holes on the brace. I'd try that. It might be the easiest thing to try. I'd use a Dremel type tool or a round file.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
Can you elongate the 3 holes on the brace. I'd try that. It might be the easiest thing to try. I'd use a Dremel type tool or a round file.
Sorry !!

I have this option in mind right now,
I want to buy a Porting tool that I could plug in my drill & try that !!

But what am I looking for here (Chassis Cut Tool for a drill lol ) ??
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes this lowering the panhard bar thing is something I've contemplated doing as well. Chris, did you have to increase your rear springrate after making the change? I've heard that the lower roll center changes how the suspension works back there slightly.. not sure if it's maybe more force applied to the springs due to the lower roll center
Old 05-21-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaperchild
Turned Out My Stock PH-Brace was modified to fit on the 3-Bolts side, Probably from my last couple of years rear accident (Stupid Tourists )

I'm 5-10mm away from the 3 Bolts to fit .... What should I do ??

Resize the chassis angle (or widen the middle bracket bolt thread?
or
Resize the New PH-Brace 3 Bolts space (Tuff fit) ?
Usually the first thing that gets bent with a rear side impact is the passenger side phb chassis mount. I'd check this first for signs that it was bent. If it is then try to flex, or if needed bend it back some with a block of wood and sledge hammer if necessary, just start out rather easy since it really doesn't take a lot to bend it.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Yes this lowering the panhard bar thing is something I've contemplated doing as well. Chris, did you have to increase your rear springrate after making the change? I've heard that the lower roll center changes how the suspension works back there slightly.. not sure if it's maybe more force applied to the springs due to the lower roll center
I've read on Frrax that some people have tried that, but they were also racing their cars. I've got Strano springs and they seem to be just fine for DD use. I did try 200# springs once, but that made the car more tail happy then I cared for. I'm also running a Hellwig adjustable rear swaybar that's set in the middle hole mostly because my rear tires are junk. When I get new rear tires, I'll move it to the stiffest hole. I'd be suprised if you lowered your PHB and didn't like it. I can't see any reason to ever raise mine back up to the stock holes.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Usually the first thing that gets bent with a rear side impact is the passenger side phb chassis mount. I'd check this first for signs that it was bent. If it is then try to flex, or if needed bend it back some with a block of wood and sledge hammer if necessary, just start out rather easy since it really doesn't take a lot to bend it.
Ported out the chassis , Yummy on how it fits !!

Got a slight problem on the rear end with now it being centered.
(The Passenger side Top Tire is more leaned towards the chassis while the driver side is a straight fit !!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Is it the PHB relocation thing that just seems to be for exhaust clearance that UMI/BMR make? Comes with the PHB upper support bar. Or is it the single bracket that has like ~4 holes in it that you can add to both the chassis and the axle side?
the umi relocation bar is for exhaust clearance and will not work if your car is lowered relocation bar hits panhard bar with strano springs. I bought one had to send it back.

Quick Reply: Panhard bar/relocation install?