See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Outer edge tire wear, why why why

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't trust tire shops. they've screwed up my ride every time. this is a great thread and I've seen great advice. What I'm curious on is how to set up camber, toe and whatnot for a staggered set where tire rotation is not possible! Hence the factory specs can go out the window like a 401k handbook... so that being said, what would a guy tell a mechanic ( a good one) how to adjust the ride to get even wear?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, I stay away from the chain-store shops. Try and find a local family owned mom & pop shop that been around for a long time, and if you're lucky they'll have a alignment guy that's a perfectionist an will do performance/custom alignments.

A good alignment guy should know what to ask, look for, and do to fix you alignment issues.
My local alignment guy always asks me plenty of questions, has never guaranteed me that he could set my alignment exactly were I want it, only that he'll get it as close as possible, and he usually get it really close. As far as the Toe I just leave it up to him set the Toe where he thinks is best from the info he gets from me.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 05-09-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jorgens
I don't trust tire shops. they've screwed up my ride every time. this is a great thread and I've seen great advice. What I'm curious on is how to set up camber, toe and whatnot for a staggered set where tire rotation is not possible! Hence the factory specs can go out the window like a 401k handbook... so that being said, what would a guy tell a mechanic ( a good one) how to adjust the ride to get even wear?
I don't think there is a setting for any vehicle or tire combination that will work for everybody. It depends on the conditions of ball joints, struts, tie-rod ends etc. I feel if you want your tires to last, check them often and adjust as needed.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoever came up with the stock camber specs is retarded. 0-.4 degrees of positive camber has no place being on a performance car.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Whoever came up with the stock camber specs is retarded. 0-.4 degrees of positive camber has no place being on a performance car.
I agree!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dang, is that what stock spec is? I set my 98Z up with -1 camber and 6 or 7 caster if I remember correctly.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're forgetting something....Every manufacturer sets a "reasonable" alignment setting that provides SAFE, predictable handling, combined with decent tire wear, for the AVERAGE driver.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These specs, courtesy of "trackbird" long ago,
give me very even edge-edge wear in "enthusiastic"
driving:

-1.3 camber
4.5 caster
1/32nd inch toe out
Old 05-13-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
1/32nd inch toe out
So we got a few people saying slight toe out and a few others saying slight toe in. I'm not sure if it's just different opinion or confusion between toe in and toe out (when they meant the opposite)

When moving forward, I can understand how the toe will sit even once the car gets moving... but is it starting slightly inward or outward before it becomes even toe under movement?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So we got a few people saying slight toe out and a few others saying slight toe in. I'm not sure if it's just different opinion or confusion between toe in and toe out (when they meant the opposite)

When moving forward, I can understand how the toe will sit even once the car gets moving... but is it starting slightly inward or outward before it becomes even toe under movement?
The factory sets them toe-in because the thought is that rolling resistance will have a tendency to push them towards toe-out. I have found that I like a tiny bit of toe-in, but much less than the factory calls for.

Quick Reply: Outer edge tire wear, why why why