Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he can prove he was the original buyer.. 50% off or a very generous offer that OP pays for shipping for a new K member and nothing more. If it was newer than freaking 7 years ago, I would say replacement without a doubt... But that much time, I expect aftermarket parts to fail.

If he can't... Be glad they are offering 20% and move along.

If they allowed this.. Everyone would be calling saying they purchased it under "joe schmoe" 4 years ago. Not implying that is what the OP is doing but you guys have to look at this from a business POV. That just can't happen.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone wants free handouts these days... thanks government
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
If he can prove he was the original buyer.. 50% off or a very generous offer that OP pays for shipping for a new K member and nothing more. If it was newer than freaking 7 years ago, I would say replacement without a doubt... But that much time, I expect aftermarket parts to fail.

If he can't... Be glad they are offering 20% and move along.

If they allowed this.. Everyone would be calling saying they purchased it under "joe schmoe" 4 years ago. Not implying that is what the OP is doing but you guys have to look at this from a business POV. That just can't happen.
Your the man. Who knows what did that k-member went through.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by ThoR294
going by that philosophy every car that is 10+ years old their frames should fall out and K members should split in half....
I'm not sure that people really understand what they are buying when they are getting aftermarket parts for their cars. OEMs are held to standards that require vigorous testing to make sure that something like this won't happen during the "normal" life of a car. That's why parts like OEM k-memebers are purposely made with a large safety margin so that something like this won't happen...after all, the results could be catastrophic. That's also why OEM k-members are so heavy.

Enter the aftermarket companies.

I cringe when I read stuff like this:

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
We redesigned our BMR k-members roughly 7-8 years ago and have not had issues with any BMR k-members breaking since the redesign was done. We also arguably have more k-members installed on cars that are daily driven than any other company out there right now so they are tested and tested regularly. We have been manufacturing the 4th gen k-members for over 12 years and have learned alot and made a few running changes in design and material through the years to provide the best possible k-member to the customers that we can. We are always looking for ways to improve our parts which is why these changes are made. If companies aren't looking to improve their products in any way they possibly can they are not doing you guys the customer any justice.
Think about what that means: their products are tested by the consumer, not the company. You get to be their guinea pigs whether you know it or not, so if something is not designed properly, you get to be the one that finds out. I don't know about you, but I'm not comfortable with that.

I can't really fault them for this though...after all, it would take a ton of money to test all of their products thoroughly, and that would eat away at the profit. Even OEMs have to make a profit, but they can do that through volume...an aftermarket vendor doesn't really have that option. An aftermarket vendor also doesn't have to comply with federal safety standards/regulations. You know...the whole "off-road use only" thing.

It seems like people automatically assume that aftermarket parts just have to be better than OEM, but the OEMs design parts like they do for a reason. That said, BMR is doing all that can be reasonably expected of them...after all, they can't verify that the OP is the original owner, nor can they verify how it was used. If you can't cough up a receipt, take what they've offered and move on. Lesson learned.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

It is defiantly a Bmr K member that was bought from Bmr. Who else would I buy it from besides them Umi? No. Its one of there products. And like Ment02ss above me said they are tested by the consumer so if there is a flaw in the design found then Bmr should replace any of the old designs that customers have problems with hands down no questions asked in my opinion since they had to redesigned over incidents like mine. That is my argument. I can say it many different ways and some users on here agree with me and some do not. But in my position I feel that I am right in my thinkings. In my eyes it is a recall. People could be severely injured, cars and property damaged and other pedestrians on the road hurt if one of these k members broke while in motion. therefor they should be replaced with there new revised model. Like the dealer Bmr cannot track down every consumer and fix this problem but when it arises they should take care of it. If bmr was my company that is the way I would handle it. As a warranty/recall.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a BMR K-member for 3 years without any real problems. I upgraded to a UMI mild-steel "Road-race" unit just because of the change in demand for the new project, but I was happy with BMR unit during the time that I had them.

Sucks that yours broke a bit like that.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Saw this on the bmr facebook page

"All BMR Suspension components are engineered to fit with precision, withstand the forces of extreme competition, and improve traction and handling for quicker ETs"
Old 05-23-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

That probably for their redesigned one, not the decade old design. lol

Just busting *****, situation blows regardless of fine print.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Nothing left for this except to stir up ****. Two perspectives won't see things eye to eye.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

IMO I can see both sides of the argument here.

That being said, this is why I keep receipts for EVERY part I buy, even if it was bought through my father and not directly by me. I have the original receipt from buying my car from the dealer back in '99, and every receipt for every oil change and part since I bought it.

The way I'm viewing this is that BMR has no documentation that this K-Member was purchased by this customer; and this customer has no proof that they purchased it from BMR.

If I was in BMR's position, I'd do the exact same thing. Show me evidence that you were the original purchaser, and it'll be replaced. From a business standpoint, what evidence is there that this K-Member wasn't bought used from a car that had been in a front end collision, and was bought for $10, and now the 2nd hand buyer is trying to get a new k-member from BMR. (I'm not saying this is what's going on, I'm just saying, what evidence is there to PROVE this isn't the case; there's lots of people out there who WOULD do this!)
Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
IMO I can see both sides of the argument here.

That being said, this is why I keep receipts for EVERY part I buy, even if it was bought through my father and not directly by me. I have the original receipt from buying my car from the dealer back in '99, and every receipt for every oil change and part since I bought it.

The way I'm viewing this is that BMR has no documentation that this K-Member was purchased by this customer; and this customer has no proof that they purchased it from BMR.

If I was in BMR's position, I'd do the exact same thing. Show me evidence that you were the original purchaser, and it'll be replaced. From a business standpoint, what evidence is there that this K-Member wasn't bought used from a car that had been in a front end collision, and was bought for $10, and now the 2nd hand buyer is trying to get a new k-member from BMR. (I'm not saying this is what's going on, I'm just saying, what evidence is there to PROVE this isn't the case; there's lots of people out there who WOULD do this!)
I understand where the OP is coming from completely with his frustration and as a car guy I have been in the same situation to a different extent. I understand he doesn't feel like we are standing behind the product by offering what we have but you also have to look at it from our point of view and understand that the k-member has some considerable age to it and that we are unable to track its history or even verify purchase. It is just like anything else that has a warranty, there are parameters that have to be met for the warranty to be honored and I will honestly say that I feel like we are doing the same if not more that other companies would do in this situation. It is not like we told the OP that we are not going to do anything and left him hanging we offered what we thought was fair and told him if he wanted us to do anything more he needed to verify purchase. It is not like we are asking him to do anything crazy or unheard of.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hope you guys come to an agreement.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Hope you guys come to an agreement.
You and me both because anything besides that is bad for both us and the OP.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Launching!

Try going back to GM with a 8 year old part to replace (for free) and see where that gets you. You want to get laughed at now or later.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 38DD2436
Try going back to GM with a 8 year old part to replace (for free) and see where that gets you. You want to get laughed at now or later.
Isn't that precisely why people started buying cars from Toyota, Honda et al? This seems more of an argument for BMR to work this out ASAP.

This could've been resolved privately faster and better I feel, but whatever.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pewter2002
Isn't that precisely why people started buying cars from Toyota, Honda et al? This seems more of an argument for BMR to work this out ASAP.

This could've been resolved privately faster and better I feel, but whatever.
Trying going back to Nissan with brand new parts.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lemons12
Trying going back to Nissan with brand new parts.
Or better yet Datsun, right? I get it. The OP has choices, that is clear, and a good thing. Take up BMR On their offer, try to get more, shop elsewhere, put OE back on. Whatever. Not for me to decide, the OP has to see which direction is better for him, our opinions don't matter. I think he is trying to get the most out of them and there is a limit, obviously. What you or I would "settle" for is immaterial, I think that the OP may want more than just the first offer proposed, however "good" it is.

How GM, Nissan etc handle their business is, well, THEIR business. I think BMR will make this guy happy, the olive Branch has been extended. GL to the OP!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

If gm recalls a part and it fails 8 years later they will replace it (for free). You want to get laughed at you now or later? If a part is redesigned over flaws where they break and can cause personal injury or death they recall it instead of facing lawsuits.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM, like all OEMs, offer extended warranties for known defects that are safety issues. Sometimes they even offer them on non-safety items as customer satisfaction programs. That being said, I believe the 20% offer from BMR was more than adequate.

NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY makes an aftermarket K-member strong enough for street use. Not BMR, Spohn, PA, AJE, etc. NOBODY does regardless of what they claim. ALL aftermarket K-member manufacturers have a LONG history of broken parts.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know all of the details of the situation, but I agree with BMR from what I have read. Companies can't just go out and replace 7-8 year olds parts all the time. For all they know, the customer could have tried a Fast and Furious bridge jump or something with it and now they are "forced" to replace it? C'mon mannnnnnnn.

Quick Reply: Bmr tubualar K member welds breaking?