Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Titanium Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, seriously, I know weight is imporant, but a few pounds

My steel tubular LCAs w/poly weigh 7.5 lbs, they claim a set of Alum rod ended weight 4.5lbs, thats three pounds difference, thats it

I know when it comes to serious drag racing every pound counts, but our daily drivers, are you ever going to notice 3 or 4 lbs? Most of us stop at Mcdonalds on are way to the track anyhow and eat a supersized double quater pounder meal, thats at least 2-3 lbs, but you never thought about that?

IMO- Just having some fun
Old 05-26-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2w0s060
I know when it comes to serious drag racing every pound counts, but our daily drivers, are you ever going to notice 3 or 4 lbs? Most of us stop at Mcdonalds on are way to the track anyhow and eat a supersized double quater pounder meal, thats at least 2-3 lbs, but you never thought about that?

Remember, salad=speed.

I could spend thousands to remove 75 lbs from my car, or I can remove 75 lbs from my driver (the lightweight driver mod) for much less. I guess I better get started.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by John95Z28
Titanium does oxidize, but not in the sense of forming rust (iron oxide) and eventually falling apart. They could be left unfinished, but would have looked much nicer if they were powdercoated.

Waste of money IMO. I'd just get a set of 1LE control arms, unless you're into heavy duty racing.
Aren't the difference in 1LE control arms just the bushings?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trackbird
Remember, salad=speed.

I could spend thousands to remove 75 lbs from my car, or I can remove 75 lbs from my driver (the lightweight driver mod) for much less. I guess I better get started.
ahh, the infamous Atkins mod...
Old 05-26-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by technical
ahh, the infamous Atkins mod...

Old 05-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 4mula1
Aren't the difference in 1LE control arms just the bushings?
Firmer bushings; yes.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Will someone take the time to anwer my original question....please......if you know the answer........tks
Old 05-26-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Ok guys, seriously, I know weight is imporant, but a few pounds

My steel tubular LCAs w/poly weigh 7.5 lbs, they claim a set of Alum rod ended weight 4.5lbs, thats three pounds difference, thats it

Depending on where it is at you could easily notice a difference.

Unsprung weight (parts not supported by the springs) reductions tend to be very noticable. It is believed that for every 1 LB of "unsprung" weight removed from the vehicle is equal to removing 3lbs of "sprung" weight as far as acceleration is concerned.

Reciprocating weight,things that muct be accelerated twice such as a rotor are generally believed to equal 10lb per 1 or more.

Parts within the engine and transmission are believed to show the largest benefits when lightened. Gains similar to 15lbs per 1 removed have been claimed.

I recall reading an article on this subject in the past couple of years. I can't remember where though.

Weight reduction of any kind (especially in the engine and suspension) will allow an automobiles systems to react much more quickly to changing conditions.As you can imagine this is extremely benficial to a vehicle used for roadracing.

Componenets such as brakes,clutches,etc. will last longer with a lighter weight vehicle.

CofG as well as many other things are affected by where the weight is. In some instances 15lbs ofweight can be removed from one area and 25lbs added to another and you will see gains at the track.

Believe it or not every ounce counts. Japanese engineers will work months to remove 300gms from a motorcycle.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kent1
Do these lighter lca have relocation brackets to go with them? and which one is the lightest......???? Also, are they lighter than metco lca's????

Not that I'm aware of (the relocation brackets).
Old 05-26-2004, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Tbird.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
Depending on where it is at you could easily notice a difference.

Unsprung weight (parts not supported by the springs) reductions tend to be very noticable. It is believed that for every 1 LB of "unsprung" weight removed from the vehicle is equal to removing 3lbs of "sprung" weight as far as acceleration is concerned.

Reciprocating weight,things that muct be accelerated twice such as a rotor are generally believed to equal 10lb per 1 or more.

Parts within the engine and transmission are believed to show the largest benefits when lightened. Gains similar to 15lbs per 1 removed have been claimed.

I recall reading an article on this subject in the past couple of years. I can't remember where though.

Weight reduction of any kind (especially in the engine and suspension) will allow an automobiles systems to react much more quickly to changing conditions.As you can imagine this is extremely benficial to a vehicle used for roadracing.

Componenets such as brakes,clutches,etc. will last longer with a lighter weight vehicle.

CofG as well as many other things are affected by where the weight is. In some instances 15lbs ofweight can be removed from one area and 25lbs added to another and you will see gains at the track.

Believe it or not every ounce counts. Japanese engineers will work months to remove 300gms from a motorcycle.
That was good and detailed, I can understand where the weight does matter, dont get me wrong, I was just having some fun.

I beleive you also need to be careful on suspension items, lighter isnt always better if the strength inst there.

Thanks for the good info
Old 05-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kent1
Will someone take the time to anwer my original question....please......if you know the answer........tks
It's been so long... I've almost forgotten what your original question was. This is it, right? -

(the Titanium LCAs) I searched the forums, but no mention.
Are they worth the $250?

No, not worth it. There are better ways to spend your $250 IMO
Old 05-26-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

That was good and detailed, I can understand where the weight does matter, dont get me wrong, I was just having some fun.

I beleive you also need to be careful on suspension items, lighter isnt always better if the strength inst there.

Thanks for the good info
I figured you were just having a laugh. I posted just because the topic was up and it seemed like a good time to spew some of my useless knowledge.

I agree w/ watching the weight cutting in certain areas. It just doesn't make sense in some areas. Suspension and braking are two places I am very leery of cutting weight. I think you should put alot of thought into cutting items that could result in serious injury. If you cut too much out of a crank your engine will blow. If you cut too much off of your rotors you could die.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
I think the LG aluminum tubular LCA's with rod ends would be the lightest. Lou doesn't have them on his site, so you have to call them.
Yep I'm running the same ones and very happy with them. They are extremely light weight. I didn't weigh them, but they surely felt under 5lbs combined.

Quick Reply: Titanium Control Arms