Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I Thought Cutting Stock Springs Were Frowned Upon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
It's gotta be OK, I mean....Gas Monkey does it:

I can't stand gas monkey! They do such half *** work!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sommer86
We have like a 95% same set up. My Konis are set to the middle set up on both front and rear, but I hate it here in LA, HOWEVER, when the guys drive me car, they LOVE that it corners on rails. But the streets of LA make me feel like I'm poor since I feel everything.

I wonder what my 3/4 Koni's/Stranos would feel like on full soft. Still better than stock? or worse?
If you adjust to full soft you are softening the rebound not the dampening so you'll still have harsh impacts followed by a floaty, loose feeling.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Only really frowned upon when the person in question thinks its no different than lowering springs, or hacks away trying to slam the car thinking its not going to ride any different.
In your case, have you tried smaller (17") wheels? What about tires with softer sidewalls?
You may have larger sidewalls than normal for 18"s, but you still have the extra weight of the wheels/tires which certainly doesn't help.
Also noticed you have the adjustable rear bar, have you tried playing with that setting, setting it to softer? I know the rear bar will play a pretty big factor in how the rear of these cars ride.
I was on a 17" setup on Strano/Konis before I went with the 18" setup and it was still too harsh for my tastes. I just recently placed the rear bar to the middle setting when I swapped in my rubber BMR LCA's. it was still too harsh on the bar's softest setting.

Basically where I'm at is should I do cut stock springs with Bilsteins and call it a day or should I install my BMR 1" lower a-arms with stock uncut springs? If I go with the first option I could sell my BMR a-arms and recoupe some money because they weren't cheap!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
If you adjust to full soft you are softening the rebound not the dampening so you'll still have harsh impacts followed by a floaty, loose feeling.
****, you're right. So what if I go to full firm? Harsh bump, but car will immediately feel tight again? Weird...

BTW, OP, sorry to
Old 06-18-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sommer86
****, you're right. So what if I go to full firm? Harsh bump, but car will immediately feel tight again? Weird...

BTW, OP, sorry to
I would assume so but I've heard people report a "better" ride when firming up the fronts. All anecdotal evidence of course.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

swap out the Strano's for the stock springs, and install the BMR A-Arms, it'll look and ride great (hopefully).

Quick Reply: I Thought Cutting Stock Springs Were Frowned Upon?