Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Most Reliable/Recommended Spring Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Most Reliable/Recommended Spring Compressor?

What is the best spring compressor to use in your guys' experiences? I like the one "Blue Knight" used in his 'how-to' video as the springs are enclosed in those u-bolts in case of slippage. I plan on purchasing a set and not renting because I'm afraid of the potential mishandling or improper use from previous renters.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the one Blue Knight used in his video as well but I've never seen those locally. I borrowed a set from a friend. They were the ones that Advance Auto sells. They worked just fine but the cast piece that slips in between the coils was a little too think and was difficult to remove and install.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went up to Advance and rented theirs, I think I'm the only person to have used it, but it worked good. Two solid metal pieces to hold the springs on a long threaded rod, felt strong and worked great. A little large with the Strano/Konis to fit around the springs and through the coils so took some fiddling with, but worked as needed.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Junkie

I am reading it's impossible to remove the top shock mount bolt with hand tools - only impact. I'm using hand tools only - is this true?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say its impossible but it is easier. I did my drivers side with hand tools only and it went fine. Passenger side was a bit more rusted so I used an impact.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I did my springs I just rented the compressor from autozone/advanced, worked fine. I'm going to buy the one from harbor freight of the same design for when I have to take them off since one of my shocks are leaking.

I did mine with hand tools. As exactly above, the driver side came off after PB soaking and some elbow grease. The passenger side however would not budge even with an impact. Shock had to be cut.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
When I did my springs I just rented the compressor from autozone/advanced, worked fine. I'm going to buy the one from harbor freight of the same design for when I have to take them off since one of my shocks are leaking.

I did mine with hand tools. As exactly above, the driver side came off after PB soaking and some elbow grease. The passenger side however would not budge even with an impact. Shock had to be cut.
Take it for what it's worth but I was reading up on different spring compressors and read that the harbor freight version broke on someone while compressing. I forgot where i read it though but it was enough for me to not even consider theirs.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't use any power tools on my car...

Can't afford them.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'm lucky to have a friend with a shop so I'm spoiled. A wall mount compressor and air are the only way to go. I would take the shock assemblies to a shop and gladly pay to have them do it rather than mess around with portable compressors. Then you have a real hassle if the top nut is rusted on. An air chisel takes care of that in a couple of minutes.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Autozone one works great, used it a bunch of times and its free. As far as the top bolt, they rust horribly, try soaking it in pb and muscle it off, or just order new top thing off rock auto.

Quick Reply: Most Reliable/Recommended Spring Compressor?