Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni STR.T FINALLY available for 93-02 f-bodies?! (well, almost...)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
So we're still waiting on rear to arrive in bulk... But I found out that with what I've already got on order, not that many more will remain. As of yesterday it was like 7 or 8 cars sets give or take a few.

SO!!!! If you have been waiting for the STR.T's rears to arrive (fronts are here) to place an order, I'd recommend you do so sooner than later, because there aren't that many coming from what I can tell and there will not be many hundreds of them just sitting around.....

This has been a public service announcement, back to normal programming.
Just placed an order on Saturday, when should I expect a confirmation call? Can't wait, my car feels like crap with busted shocks! Thanks
Old 02-04-2014, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't have much to go on. I don't recall seeing an order today, but I'm at a loss as I don't know your name and such and I have a lot of names and orders on my desk.

Sometimes computers seem to eat things (which is why I don't do CC's online!!!). But also I have found that sometimes folks get to the confirmation page and don't hit the submit button too. They think it's ordered, but I never actually get it. Not saying this is the case here, but it has happened. If it was submitted then you'd have gotten an confirmation email almost immediately, automated. If you got that, well then all I can think is it's a glitch we have to find.

Anyway, if you want to re-order online we'll call you. Or you can call the shop and talk to one of us and then it's done, and since we have to talk anyway to get your card information that might be the most expedient thing to do. Or just PM me your name and number and I'll have Desiree call you directly.

Sam
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-04-2014, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

Anyway, if you want to re-order online we'll call you. Or you can call the shop and talk to one of us and then it's done, and since we have to talk anyway to get your card information that might be the most expedient thing to do. Or just PM me your name and number and I'll have Desiree call you directly.

Sam
Just called and placed my order, Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Is it just me, or is anybody else having problems with Strano's website? I can't get it to work! Need to check on some STR.t's. Looks like I'll do it the old fashion way and call. Ha! Great thread by the way...nice to see some of you have got these shocks and reviews starting to trickle in.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Teching In

his ISP internet is down so in turn the website also. also i called him they are national back order from Koni Sam said hopefully in march he will have some more
Old 02-08-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I guess I'll have to send one front STR.T back to Koni due to horrible squeaking whenever the shock rebounds. I've taken everything back apart and torqued per specs but it keeps happening. I'm beginning to think I should have left the front alone and saved $200. It appears to be fairly common and sounds exactly the same as this RX-8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL8AS...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by _JB_; 02-08-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by _JB_
Well I guess I'll have to send one front STR.T back to Koni due to horrible squeaking whenever the shock rebounds. I've taken everything back apart and torqued per specs but it keeps happening. I'm beginning to think I should have left the front alone and saved $200. It appears to be fairly common and sounds exactly the same as this RX-8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL8AS...ature=youtu.be
No kidding? It's a common deal with these? That sucks, man. Between that, the fact you can't get them and also from what I've seen, the paint job is weak on them and that mean quick rust issues, I might just look at Bilstein. Or leave it alone. Heck, I don't know. I want the lowered look, but the shocks I wanted, I can't get forever and you hear mixed reviews on the Bilsteins, so I may just say screw it. I already have the springs though...just not installed. Good luck with Koni on your deal!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mixed reviews on the Bilsteins in what way? What shock do you have now? I have Strano springs and Bilsteins and am quite happy with them. Only thing I have to compare to are stock springs, decrapon shocks, and KYB GR-2 shocks, but they certainly are far superior to any of those.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Mixed reviews on the Bilsteins in what way? What shock do you have now? I have Strano springs and Bilsteins and am quite happy with them. Only thing I have to compare to are stock springs, decrapon shocks, and KYB GR-2 shocks, but they certainly are far superior to any of those.
I just have the stockers right now (42k on them). I have a set of BMR springs in the box waiting to go on if I could decided on a shock. I've read hours of forums and different threads, that's why I said mixed reviews on the Bilsteins. Seems like a lot of guys like them, some say they ride rough, some say they've had noise issues, on and on. I know your going to get that with anything. It's all preference. I'm just sick of reading if you don't have Koni's, everything else is weak. Some people don't have the money, some people don't want an adjustable shock. The only reason I had to have a the STR.t's is because it was Koni! About ready to save some $ and run the stockers or KYB. It's a summer driver, about it.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Even though the valving isn't perfect the Bilstein replacement shocks for our cars have always be proven step up from most non-adjustable shocks in quality and performance.
IMO, if you need shocks now and are unable to get a set of the Koni STR.T, I wouldn't hesitate to get Bilsteins.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CGT77
I just have the stockers right now (42k on them). I have a set of BMR springs in the box waiting to go on if I could decided on a shock. I've read hours of forums and different threads, that's why I said mixed reviews on the Bilsteins. Seems like a lot of guys like them, some say they ride rough, some say they've had noise issues, on and on. I know your going to get that with anything. It's all preference. I'm just sick of reading if you don't have Koni's, everything else is weak. Some people don't have the money, some people don't want an adjustable shock. The only reason I had to have a the STR.t's is because it was Koni! About ready to save some $ and run the stockers or KYB. It's a summer driver, about it.
Having run stockers, KYB, and Bilstein, the Bilsteins are leagues better than those. They are firm, but not rough compared to the KYBs or just downright uncontrolled like stockers are. I'd describe them as a firm but comfortable ride, over all. My car is a summer driver too but the level of enjoyment on the car went way up after the change. I'm sure the new bushings and such I put in helped but the car also feels more planted on the road and more confidence inspiring, even despite the worn out tires it had (still has...).
Old 03-06-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Finally I got some time to contact Koni and request a replacement shock. Props to Koni for having a front STR.T replacement at my door in four days. New shock is on with 0 noise now! I also noticed my car is sitting higher with the new shocks vs DeCarbons; about 3/8" higher up front. I don't have any previous measurements for the rear since the 9" went in.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Keeping this going...the Koni's still on back order?
Old 05-26-2014, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do these have the lower perch on the front?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These look like a good bargain. I'm on KYB AGX adjustable front & rear now. About 5 & 1/2 years old and 23k miles on them. I've been looking at SLP/Bilstein as a possible replacement. But I've always been a Koni fan.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Teching In

I called today.
The rears are apparently showing up at random times in random quantities (I received mine 2-3 weeks ago). The fronts, however, are still on back order, the new ETA is the end of July.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

I also got the rears in at about the same time.

Man, hopefully it's sooner than the end of July. Rats
Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Still have backorders from back into March. The sale is still on, and is through Friday by the close of business. But it'll be a while until we see more STR.T's on any sort of "for sure" basis.

Lots of Sports in stock, but STR.T's not so much.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Does anyone have experience with Bilstein and Koni? It seems like from what I've read the Koni STR.T aren't adjustable and are a cheaper alternative to the Koni Sport, but they won't be available for a while. Based on that, and the fact that the Koni Sport are also on sale, I would go with the Sports if I did go the Koni route. So my question is this: are the Koni Sport really worth the extra money or would I be paying for name recognition more than a better quality shock? Should I consider Bilstein instead or maybe even Tokico or something else? Hopefully Sam or someone with more experience than going from stock to aftermarket shocks can chime in because anything (generally) will be an improvement over stock.

I should mention I have an 01 ws6 that is stock with Strano sway bars on the way. I occasionally auto-x and would like to take the car to a road course eventually but currently it's my dd.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Koni Sports are better than bilsteins. Is it worth the extra money to you? Only you can answer that, I would say yes since you autox the adjustability will prove useful I think. Though I don't own a set.

Not to be rude man but there are a million different threads on the pros/cons of koni/bilstein, a simple search would tell you everything and more. Anything is an improvement over stock, and bilsteins are fine but from what I know they don't rebound as well the konis do if you lower your car at all. I chose to wait for the STR.Ts instead of buying the bilsteins. I was very tempted to just get what was available NOW in my budget, but I'm sold on Konis and im lowering....so im just gonna wait. Once it's done it's done so get what you WANT and will be happy with, what's the rush?

Quick Reply: Koni STR.T FINALLY available for 93-02 f-bodies?! (well, almost...)