Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni STR.T FINALLY available for 93-02 f-bodies?! (well, almost...)

Old 06-27-2016, 12:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blk99camaro
I'm loving my Strano/Koni STR.T setup, handles awesome and surprisingly does VERY well from a dig for a sportier setup. Launches and sticks better than the factory stuff for sure.
I love reading this.... Thank you!

And no, no lower perch like the front Sports.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-27-2016, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should have my STR.T's and Strano springs on this weekend, I'll report back with some pics.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I love reading this.... Thank you!

I am truly surprised, plus it looks fantastic and I DD the car. I wish I would have taken the dive when I had my old car instead of the horrible eibachs that were on it. They were bouncy, stiff... miserable.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What spring best mates with the STR.T fronts? I have yellow SA in the rear. Using stock SLP progressives from 1999 that probably need to be changed.

Any merit to this complaint about the spring perches being wrong?
https://www.amazon.com/Koni-8250-100...ustomerReviews

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

If they don't have them then.. I don't understand. OEM ones need to be reused?

Last edited by 00firebird; 11-28-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00firebird
What spring best mates with the STR.T fronts? I have yellow SA in the rear. Using stock SLP progressives from 1999 that probably need to be changed.

BMR or Strano springs are the most common to be mated with those shocks.

As far as that Amazon review...yeah everything that was said is true/or has happened at least once. His car sat 1-1.5 inches higher than stock, I've only seen that once on this forum. It could've been caused by not installing the springs correctly with the pigtails of the springs getting mated into the lower spring isolator and/or shock mount incorrectly. The part in the review where he mentions that he had to modify the lower spring perch thing where the spring sits into, that's with every front Koni STR.t shock for these cars. Not sure why Koni switched up the dimensions on that part but some grinding is required to make it fit properly. Take a look at this thread for more info on that...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-6-5-15-a.html

With the shocks not fully extending on their own, that happened to me when I had my front Str.t shocks too. One fully extended on its own while the other didn't. I called Koni and they said it was fine, it didn't affect the valving of the shock at all. They said it might not extend because the gas pressure might not be able to overcome the static friction of the new seals or something?? Idk

Also Koni yellows are the only shock that I know of that has an adjustable spring perch built into the shock body. OEM ones nor the Str.t shocks have an adjustable spring perch like the yellows have.

For all the above issues, that's why I like Bilstein. They're usually more stable and have less issues compared to the Str.t's. Plus most people like a "bolt on" product and don't like grinding things to make it work or having one shock extend on its own while the other doesn't. Don't get me wrong, the Str.t shocks are good shocks by all means, just Bilstein usually carries a very solid, reputable product behind their name. They're hard to beat IMO
Old 11-28-2016, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems really weird that Koni would mess up the seat dimensions like that.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 00firebird

Geez. More internet bulls*$%. Let's start with the fact you are reading an Amazon review for car parts. It's like trying to get good help from the kid at Wal-mart about what oil is the best for performance driving.

Then let's move on to the fact that people do very, very stupid things sometimes. I had one complaint like this. One. And you know what? The guy screwed it up. Somehow, through a long debate I discovered that for some reason one shock was missing it's included perch. So the fellow took one of his OEM perches, which is shaped VERY differently, and installed it on one shock. And what do you know, the car was sky high *ON THAT ONE SIDE*. I'm not even sure how I figured out he had done that, but once I knew it, made perfect sense. Well, not as much sense as I understood what was happening on his car.

Understand that Koni STR.T's are NOT in any way on the level of Sports. They use a much cheaper more simple spring perch. Hell they aren't even made on the continent. But no, there isn't a 1-1.5" height gain vs. any other shock, that's just silly. And it would have cars on my springs sitting as high, or HIGHER than stock? Please, that's clearly not the case.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered some Koni STR.T and Strano 35/22 hollow sway bars.I can't wait...
Old 11-28-2016, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks to everyone for clarifying, luckily I did find a local set of used yellow sports that I will end up buying instead.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Koni STR.T FINALLY available for 93-02 f-bodies?! (well, almost...)