Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Fade - anybody with good results?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Always something to learn from Sam. I always appreciate your experience-laden inputs.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Well that got out of hand for a bit there. I do appreciate the efforts of posters trying to help out though. I am just going for the pads and brake fluid change as recommended by Sam and a couple early posters. Maybe some stainless flex lines, depends on how mine look. Again, this is no race car, I just want to be able to hustle through the backroads for a few minutes.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have brembo slotted rotors and hawk hps pads and its a night and day different with stock brakes. rotors never warped on me and the pads grabs pretty good.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Went for a nice backroad romp Sunday morning, lasted maybe 15-20 minutes. Got the car up to 80-90 a decent amount of times and then had to slow it to about 30-40 for turns (wasn't trying to push it very hard through the turns) - Didnt notice anything until I was almost home and had to stop at a light from about 90 - HOLY BRAKE FADE! Some frantic downshifting and all the force i could muster on the brake pedal stopped me in time. Then doing about 20 I rolled right past the road my house is on - almost zero brakes. Now I was driving aggressively, but not crazy and the fade was ridiculous. Through some research it looks like, without spending money on bigger/different brakes I should
1 - Flush brake fluid and fill with DOT 4
2 - Upgrade pads (no idea whats on there, but i would bet its whatever was cheapest when the brakes were done at a shop by previous owner)
3 - Upgrade rotors - Apparently Baer makes stock replacements for these cars?????

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had good results by doing these basic things. This car is never going to see a track other than a dragstrip and I dont drive it that hard often. I would like to haul it down from speed a few times without losing my brakes though when the mood strikes. So what has been you guy's experience with the stuff I mentioned?
I have slotted and drilled rotors and still running original oem pads. Have about 67,000 miles on pads and maybe 60,000 on rotors.I love the pads because there is never any dust but I never felt the brakes were worth a crap. It felt like at the time the slotted and drilled rotors helped, but they didn't hurt that I could tell. So after reading this thread and a few others I decided to start with 1 thing at a time and flush my fluid and see if it helped. As of yesterday, since I got my wife to do the old way of pumping the brake pedal while I make a mess, it worked! I am so glad I got the old brake fluid out and replaced with new stuff! My hawk brakes didn't feel exactly like yours but it felt like my brakes would never stop me as good as I felt they should. So since my pads are still good and I guess my rotors arent warped like I was afraid they might be, I can stop after spending $8.00 and stop worrying about my brakes and rotors. My car has never seen a track and use to be a D/D in snow and rain.

Quick Reply: Brake Fade - anybody with good results?