Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Should springs be replaced with shocks/struts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should springs be replaced with shocks/struts?

So here's the situation... after driving my 98 T/A for a few months it is apparent that my shocks and struts are shot. The rears are especially bad, I can bounce the rear end of my car with my hands using little effort.

My question is this- I am happy with the current ride height, but unfortunately I do not know what the current set up is on the car. All I can say for sure is that it is lowered (not aggressively). The body has 212k on it so I'm sure the stock shock/struts and springs were swapped out long ago. I'm not looking to dump a lot of money into it, I just want quality DD replacement shocks and struts, but should I also be considering changing out the springs since I don't know how many mile are on them?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're happy with the springs keep them. But you may not have aftermarket lowering springs. It still may have the stock springs on it, but over the years and miles they have sagged a bit. My old 98 was that way, which I didn't mind too much as it didn't have the 4x4 look lol.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Just change shocks and struts. Also do an alignment and you will fine.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

It's recommended to change the shocks and springs when doing one or the other. I been reading if you going to keep your stock springs a nice upgrade would be bilistein shocks not to pricey either.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
If you're happy with the springs keep them. But you may not have aftermarket lowering springs. It still may have the stock springs on it, but over the years and miles they have sagged a bit. My old 98 was that way, which I didn't mind too much as it didn't have the 4x4 look lol.
While I'm glad to not have the 4x4 look lol, if this is the case with my car, does that affect the ride?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was in same boat, I kept the stock springs when I replaced my shocks & struts with local part store ones.

It did well but if I go with a more upgraded shock like koni, I 'd switch out the springs as well just to have it all new and not have things in back of my mind of "what did i leave on the table?"
Old 09-10-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JLFIII
While I'm glad to not have the 4x4 look lol, if this is the case with my car, does that affect the ride?
It does, yes, but hard to say how much. But new shocks will make the absolute most difference.

Don't forget new upper mounts AND isolators when you do it. Don't bother trying to salvage the current ones unless they are relatively new.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JLFIII
So here's the situation... after driving my 98 T/A for a few months it is apparent that my shocks and struts are shot. The rears are especially bad, I can bounce the rear end of my car with my hands using little effort.

My question is this- I am happy with the current ride height, but unfortunately I do not know what the current set up is on the car. All I can say for sure is that it is lowered (not aggressively). The body has 212k on it so I'm sure the stock shock/struts and springs were swapped out long ago. I'm not looking to dump a lot of money into it, I just want quality DD replacement shocks and struts, but should I also be considering changing out the springs since I don't know how many mile are on them?

Any advice would be appreciated!
If you are happy with ride height you currently have I would just leave the springs in there when you swap out to a new set of shocks. Since you are looking for a budget friendly, quality shock for your car I would look at the Bilsteing shocks. The Bilstein shocks are affordable and offer quite an improvement over the factory shocks so you should be very happy with them considering you have so many miles on your current shocks. Along with the new shocks you are probably going to want to throw in a set strut mounts too because god knows how many miles are on the one that are currently installed in your car.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
It does, yes, but hard to say how much. But new shocks will make the absolute most difference.

Don't forget new upper mounts AND isolators when you do it. Don't bother trying to salvage the current ones unless they are relatively new.
Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Along with the new shocks you are probably going to want to throw in a set strut mounts too because god knows how many miles are on the one that are currently installed in your car.
...so I take it from this that upper mounts and isolators do not come with shocks when ordered, do you guys have part numbers or a link to where I can get them?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's right, they don't.

Moog K6516 and K6517 are what you want for the mounts. Can get them from Rock Auto about $46 each. The isolators are Moog K6573, need two of them (one each side). Under 5 bucks from Rock Auto.

Quick Reply: Should springs be replaced with shocks/struts?