Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut tower brace removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut tower brace removal

Hello, How difficult to remove and re-install, I can't see bolt locations on inside of wheel well?? or how to get to them? I need to remove to remove my intake manifold for FAST intake. THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 09-10-2013, 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Double J
Hello, How difficult to remove and re-install, I can't see bolt locations on inside of wheel well?? or how to get to them? I need to remove to remove my intake manifold for FAST intake. THANKS IN ADVANCE
Removing a strut tower brace from your vehicle shouldn't be a bad ordeal at all. Most strut tower braces mount using the strut mount studs that protrude upward into the engine bay through the shock towers so removal takes about 15 minutes or so. If you have a three point strut tower brace it gets a little more difficult because there is also a mounting point on the cowl of the vehicle. Here is a couple of pictures to help explain it:
Attached Thumbnails Strut tower brace removal-stb001.jpg   Strut tower brace removal-stb001_2.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just took mine off takes 5 minutes. 15mm socket then boom.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of the STBs have slotted holes, while others have plain holes. If you have slotted holes, then all you have to do is pop the nuts and the bar will lift off. If you have a STB with singular holes, you'll also have to lift the front of the car somewhat, and remove all the nuts/bolts from one side of the car and push down on the tire, pushing the long studs down, allowing the STB to come free. This is because the shock towers are tipped inward forming a "V", and this captures the STB in place.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Removing a strut tower brace from your vehicle shouldn't be a bad ordeal at all. Most strut tower braces mount using the strut mount studs that protrude upward into the engine bay through the shock towers so removal takes about 15 minutes or so. If you have a three point strut tower brace it gets a little more difficult because there is also a mounting point on the cowl of the vehicle. Here is a couple of pictures to help explain it:
Oh OK, I have your 2 point BMR Brace (pictured) I thought their was some trick b/c I thought the stud bolts would fall through the engine bay. Thanks to all
Attached Thumbnails Strut tower brace removal-dsc00339.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just took one off the other day it had some shims under each side.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Should just be about 4-6 bolts cant remember exactly
Old 09-11-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh OK, I have your 2 point BMR Brace (pictured) I thought their was some trick b/c I thought the stud bolts would fall through the engine bay. Thanks to all
There are two other sets of bolts on each end that also hold the upper shock mount in which the bolt faces down. So you have no worries.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

BMR 2pt should be able to remove in about 1-2 mins MAX... 4 nuts, and pull.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The bolts that come up from the wheel wells are part of the top of the shock/strut mount. They are built into the mount and will not turn or fall out. They aren't going to fall out and you don't need to get a wrench on them, they don't move.

I have a 2 point BMR brace too. Just take off the top nuts and pull it off. Put it back on and put the nuts back on. As often as you want to.

If you want to leave the brace off, just remove it and put the nuts back on without it.

Quick Reply: Strut tower brace removal