Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help with BMR 1 inch lowering a arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with BMR 1 inch lowering a arms

I recently installed a set of BMR 1 inch lowering a arms, Koni shocks, BMR springs, and new shock mounts, isolators etc. I am having a problem getting the shocks to line up with the holes in the a arms. I assume that I will just have to adjust the rear bolts on the a arms, however I wanted to get a second opinion before I go messing with my alignment settings. Here are some pictures of the shocks, you can see how they don't line up with the bolt holes on the a arms. Any help would be appreciated
The first two pictures are of the passenger side, the next two are of the driver side.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your alignment was off as soon as you loosened your factory A-arms before replacing them with the BMR A-arms. So you're going to need to get a new front end alignment anyway.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I am aware of that, I guess I should have clarified my question. I am asking if adjusting the rod end of the new a arm out a bit more will help line the holes up more, or if perhaps I made some other error somewhere that I overlooked.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd leave both the L & R A-arm rod-ends adjusted to the same length and just move the A-arms around with in the adjustment slots on the K-member until the shock mount bolt holes line up with the mount holes on the A-arms. Then try to get the bolts moved back as close as possible to the original locations, so you'll be able to drive it to the alignment shop.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

^ word.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I'd leave both the L & R A-arm rod-ends adjusted to the same length and just move the A-arms around with in the adjustment slots on the K-member until the shock mount bolt holes line up with the mount holes on the A-arms. Then try to get the bolts moved back as close as possible to the original locations, so you'll be able to drive it to the alignment shop.
I honestly couldn't have explained it any better. Do this and if you still have an issue get with me and we can work through whatever you run into.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help everybody I will definitely try this tonight. I do have one question though, once I get the shock bolts into the holes on the a arm, won't adjusting the alignment bolts back to (or as close as I can get them) to the stock locations put excess stress on the upper shock mount bolts? I am not questioning your advice just wondering why this is okay, This is my first time ever doing anything with car suspension. Thanks again everybody.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is good info, I forced my shock to slight the holes, must be why I pull to the left now.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GMC5.3
This is good info, I forced my shock to slight the holes, must be why I pull to the left now.
No, you alignment is off, that's all.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zark
Thanks for the help everybody I will definitely try this tonight. I do have one question though, once I get the shock bolts into the holes on the a arm, won't adjusting the alignment bolts back to (or as close as I can get them) to the stock locations put excess stress on the upper shock mount bolts? I am not questioning your advice just wondering why this is okay, This is my first time ever doing anything with car suspension. Thanks again everybody.
The shock shaft is mounted in rubber(in the upper mount) to allow for movement(alignment or normal A-arm movement) of the lower shock mount location.

Quick Reply: Help with BMR 1 inch lowering a arms