Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway Bar or Air Bag???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sway Bar or Air Bag???

Hey guys, I am having a little trouble spinning every now and then on launch. I have an adjustable torque arm, sub frame connectors, auto tranny, adjustable lower control arms, and a 9 inch with adjustable lca brackets. My lcas are in the bottom hole and I believe is set correctly. I am cutting 60' times as low as 1.62 with 255 60 15 MT drag radials. I race mainly at a track that is not prepped well and if I dont do a killer burn out I will spin some. The other track that I go to some hooks very well and I dont think I could make it spin there. I am wondering if I couldnt help my situation by putting in a drag sway bar or an air bag in the rr . I am wondering if this would help me with consistency as well? Any thoughts?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Sway bar may help a little, but it sounds more like an issue with the lack of track prep, mixed with the drag radials. I could go the route of a bunch of radial guys and tell you to drop a bunch of $$ into some DA rear shocks, but truthfully if your track doesn't provide a good surface you will be chasing your settings around and spending extra money. If you want to keep going to that track you either need to budget alot of $$ for tires, or get a set of slicks to overcome the track conditions.

FWIW..My 3rd gen had cut 1.56 without a bar, on slicks (has one now).
Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by abritton77
Hey guys, I am having a little trouble spinning every now and then on launch. I have an adjustable torque arm, sub frame connectors, auto tranny, adjustable lower control arms, and a 9 inch with adjustable lca brackets. My lcas are in the bottom hole and I believe is set correctly. I am cutting 60' times as low as 1.62 with 255 60 15 MT drag radials. I race mainly at a track that is not prepped well and if I dont do a killer burn out I will spin some. The other track that I go to some hooks very well and I dont think I could make it spin there. I am wondering if I couldnt help my situation by putting in a drag sway bar or an air bag in the rr . I am wondering if this would help me with consistency as well? Any thoughts?
What shocks do you have? And no... you don't necessarily need a set of modified Afco doubles to get some better results, but if you are on a stock style shock the that is definitely where you need to go. A anti-roll setup may help you as well, but won't get you results like the shocks will initially.

Feel free to give us a call for honest, experienced advice. MWC sets up the suspension for the fastest stock suspension f-body cars in the country.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A car that makes decent power will not hook with a drag radial on subpar prepped track. A stiff side-walled slick like the Mickey Thompson ET Drag offering will definitely yield better results than the radials but I still think the track prep is your problem more than anything else. If you are on the factory shocks a solid set of drag shocks like the Strange SA should really help with launch consistency and overall performance. If you are debating about whether to do a anti-roll bar or air bag I would definitely recommend the anti-roll bar over the air bag because it will be considerably more consistent and offer better improvements.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. Ive done a ton of searching but cant find where anybody said they had my problem and solved it with a sway bar or air bag. I have a set of cheap drag shocks on the back but am running stockers on the front. I may just get me a set of slicks after these drag radials wear out.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the input. Ive done a ton of searching but cant find where anybody said they had my problem and solved it with a sway bar or air bag. I have a set of cheap drag shocks on the back but am running stockers on the front. I may just get me a set of slicks after these drag radials wear out.
The stock shocks on the front are definitely not helping you at all so it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into getting a decent set at some point. The slicks are going to be a better option for you since you are racing on a track that has marginal prep at best because they are going to be much more forgiving than the drag radials.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Sway Bar or Air Bag???