Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI vs MWC F-Body suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI vs MWC F-Body suspension

Looking to put full suspension on my Camaro within the next 2 weeks, wanted to get some info or personal input on decisions or opinions for either company. I know I read something about the MWC k member being a few pounds lighter than the umi, any info would help, thanks.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've held both company's products in my hands and each is high quality. But MWC kills it in weight. Just the trans cross member is like 2 or 3 pounds lighter than UMI. Their DS loop was over a pound lighter than BMRs.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark Koehler... 6.95, 214 mph. Mike Brown... 6.99, 211 mph. Andy Essary... 7.24, 202 mph. All of these guys on drag radials, cutting 1.teen 60s at 3300+ pounds.

Brian Black... 275 radial, LSX nitrous combo. 4.70s 1/8 mile, 1.130 60 foot at 3000 pounds. Uncle(some call him grandpa) Ray Litz(Koolrayz here) ... 88mm single turbo, 275 radial 7.40s 190+ mph @ 3400 pounds.

The quickest and fastest stock suspension cars are all on Midwest Chassis, Inc rearends and full front suspension parts. There's a reason why...

Need I say more?
Old 10-27-2013, 05:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slow SS Driver
Looking to put full suspension on my Camaro within the next 2 weeks, wanted to get some info or personal input on decisions or opinions for either company. I know I read something about the MWC k member being a few pounds lighter than the umi, any info would help, thanks.
Thanks for including UMI in your list of prospects.

We tend to focus on "medium weight" lightweight components suitable for the abuse of the strip, road race, and daily pothole driving. Our twin tube lower section in our K-member is the industry standard for bulletproof reliability. The extra pound or two over ultra-lightweight stuff is worth it we think.

Our suspension is high quality Made In USA of US Materials and we race and drive what we sell.

Let me know if you have any questions and we'll be happy to get you fixed up.

thanks

ramey
Old 10-28-2013, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Ramey mentioned above, the UMI items are not intended to be the lightest on the market nor do we advertise that. But we have reasons.

What UMI does focus on is the everyday customer as well as the road racing and pro-touring scene. Our items are over built and we feel significantly stronger than some of our competitors. We have some very fast cars running UMI items down the track as well.

Our items are built to withstand the drag strip, daily driving and road race. We have a lot of cars using our items in the American Iron series, CMC and Goodguy events as well as autocrosses all over the country. The stress a road race car applies to these items really proves the strength they have.

If you are looking a quality suspension able to handle all types of driving conditions including daily driving we appreciate you looking at the UMI line. We are very proud of our quality and USA manufacturing.

Feel free to check us out on Facebook to see how the items are made at www.facebook.com/umiperformance

Or Instagram and Twitter @umipeformance

Thanks for looking!
Ryan
Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Strong doesn't mean heavy. I am sure most of you will recognize these cars and I will say that neither one has had to have a wrench put on the front suspension ever.

By no means am I saying that these wheelstands are the fastest way to the end of the track, nor have we set these cars up for this purpose, but more to attest to the strength of our products. If the suspension can take several shots like this then rest assured it is fine for your car.

The black car is a N2O M6 car and is extremely violent at the hit, hence several violent wheel stands. The car is equipped with a full MWC front and rear suspension/fabricated 9" as well as full roll cage, and is completely streetable car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-27-148-a.html

And we all know Ray "Never Lift" Litz (Koolrayz here)- 7.40s, 190+mph at 3400 pounds

Strength by design and incorporating the right materials!

All MWC components are made right here in our central IL shop, by skilled craftsmen, using the best materials... proudly in the USA.

Last edited by ssvert99; 10-28-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just curious if there is any particular reason you are settled on those 2 brands? We only offer our k-members in mild steel, but still only weighs 24.5 lbs. A considerable weight savings over stock, yet have the strength to take the abuse of daily driving and rough roads etc with no issues. Our new design gives a lot more clearance around the motor mount area and allows for more flexibility with exhaust configurations.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: UMI vs MWC F-Body suspension