Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Torque Arm Relocation Bracket And Adjustable Torque Arm Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI Torque Arm Relocation Bracket And Adjustable Torque Arm Install Questions

Hey guys and gals i have a few install questions about my new UMI Torque Arm Relocation Bracket and Adjustable Torque Arm. Ok so i see that there are several different holes in my relocation bracket to put the poly torque arm bushing holder on. I know the second hole from the bottom is for a factory torque arm. Does this also mean thats where i should put it if the car is factory ride height and a stock 10 bolt rear? Now keep in mind that these are the first suspension mods I'm doing so everything else back there is stock. Next question up is checking/adjusting pinion angle. I have read every thread i can find about this and so far the most common way to check it apparently is to put ur angle finder on the torque arm mount on the rear end record ur angle then repeat on the drive shaft. Also u should do this from the driver side of the car also. I have also read that there should be a 2* split between the two with the torque arm angle being 2* lower than the drive shaft angle ( Like TA -2* and the DS 0*). Does this sound right. Normally id wait till monday and call UMI and pick there brains about it but i have to pay a visit to the cali smog ***** on monday so i need to get this done this weekend. Thanks for ur answers in advance.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just check my pinion angle on the rearend itself and put it at -2. That's the way Madman Racing does it.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jsteele90
I just check my pinion angle on the rearend itself and put it at -2. That's the way Madman Racing does it.
So u put the angle finder on the rear end where the torque arm mounts to it?
Old 11-09-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats where i put mine when i measured for the angle, on that flat bracket and then on the driveshaft. that was with my tunnel mounted TA. same process though.

I recently bought the same TA and relocation bracket you have for my m6 swap. Curious to see what UMI or someone has to say where to mount it as far as which hole. I really didn't read the paper yet.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

I read the paper that came with the bracket and thats what they said for stock TA's. I asked the tech guy who took my order and he explained it but it was kinda brief so some clarification would be awesome. Either way UMI makes some awesome parts.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 882 Likes on 628 Posts

The middle hole is stock if I remember correctly. You can run it in the top hole and won't cause any problems with a long style torque arm. Raising it changes your instant center(it's basically a leverage point)planting the rear tires harder. Running too high of I/C on a short style torque arm can cause the rear tires to hop under hard braking(again leverage point)

I am running mine on the top hole of the crossmember with zero problems. If you change your I/C you will have to recheck and probably readjust your pinon angle. Put the angle finger on the flat part of the T/A bracket on the rear end and take a measurement. The put it on the driveshaft, as close as you can get it to the u joints and still be flat on the drive shaft. Add those two numbers together. That's your pinon angle.

This info is from UMI and Sam Strano.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
The middle hole is stock if I remember correctly. You can run it in the top hole and won't cause any problems with a long style torque arm. Raising it changes your instant center(it's basically a leverage point)planting the rear tires harder. Running too high of I/C on a short style torque arm can cause the rear tires to hop under hard braking(again leverage point)

I am running mine on the top hole of the crossmember with zero problems. If you change your I/C you will have to recheck and probably readjust your pinon angle. Put the angle finger on the flat part of the T/A bracket on the rear end and take a measurement. The put it on the driveshaft, as close as you can get it to the u joints and still be flat on the drive shaft. Add those two numbers together. That's your pinon angle.

This info is from UMI and Sam Strano.
Thanks for the clarification on this. I got the TA and the TA relocation bracket in today and i checked my pinion angle and i got 0 on the drive shaft and -1.5 on the TA so i called it good. I installed the TA on the factory setting but its good to know how the relocation bracket works. I will hold off on mounting it higher because I'm on the stock 10 bolt still and I'm sure my 408 will break it so I'm trying to not go out of my way to make my 10 bolts life any worse.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 882 Likes on 628 Posts

I just looked at your sig, that thing should haul ***. How much compression are you running?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I just looked at your sig, that thing should haul ***. How much compression are you running?
11.2:1 on 91 octane.

Quick Reply: UMI Torque Arm Relocation Bracket And Adjustable Torque Arm Install Questions