Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stumped by Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped by Brake Problem

So here is where I am at:
I bought a 93 Z about 3 months ago. It has 39K and runs good. However, the brakes have been spongy/weak since I have had it. My ABS module (under dash) was causing the abs to freak out/ pedal to the floor, all ABS lights on etc. so I had it replaced. The ABS issue seems to be resolved, but the brakes are still spongy. Pedal goes too far down to the floor. If I am going about 30, I can push the pedal all the way down and it stops the car but no ABS kick in, no skid, just not braking strong enough. Just to rule out easy stuff I had a flush/refill of brake fluid, replaced rotors and pads on front and back...calipers seem to be working good and pad wear was even on both sides of the vehicle. I had two chain shops bleed the brakes, but no improvement. It feels like I still have an air bubble somewhere. Could it be the Master Cylinder (there is no fading at all).??? Any ideas.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 PM

I forgot to mention...don't know if this helps but I drove around with the ABS disabled for a few days while I waited on the ABS module to come in. It felt the same with the ABS out of the picture. I do not have Traction Control either.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Could be the master cylinder but I would start out by bleeding it, then bleed the RR, LR, RF and LF calipers in that order. If that doesn't do it, swap the MC.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Has it been bled with a scanner to get the air out of the ABS module?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 PM

I'm not sure. My Haynes manual specified that a scan tool be used only if I had traction control. Do you think it will be helpful whether I have traction control or not? I am definitely out of my area of expertise here. Is the use of the two bleeders on the ABS sufficient for bleeding the air out of the abs?
Old 11-23-2013, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

Check that the caliper slides are free, that causes spongy feel also.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:42 PM

I am starting to think that 93 Z brakes just aren't very good. My plan is to just deal with it. It is not dangerous, just not ideal. Maybe the problem will show itself more as time goes on...thanks for the advice though.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camaro's may not have perfect brakes but something is obviously wrong. Sorry I can't help but I would not just keep driving the car like that if you have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to stop. Not safe at all for anyone on the road bro. Not smart to drive in my opinion
Old 12-07-2013, 08:00 PM

Trust me, if I thought it was dangerous to drive I would park it. It is something I will still be trying to fix, but it is drivable. The only thing I can think of is that it still has some air trapped somewhere. I may just take it to the dealer to get fully bled again. I got the abs to kick in on some wet pavement. From what I've read, that might release air trapped in the abs block. Car repairs in my apt. parking lot aren't so easy.
Could the abs block be bad? Anybody have any experience with that?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bleed it more, and then bleed it again. There was a thread on here where someone put the car up on stands, and then turned one rear wheel while holding the brake to trigger the ABS easily.

Quick Reply: Stumped by Brake Problem