Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Every bump

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Every bump

I recently replaced my shocks and springs with koni's str.t/strano set up. For some reason I can feel every bump in the road and it's rough for some reason thought it was to soften the ride. Not sure if I need to replace anything for a better ride it's a 98 camaro z28 just hit 140k today any help would be nice
Old 12-11-2013, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any time you run stiffer spring and have less compression travel you will have a rougher ride. IMO, if you front tire pressure is higher than 32psi then lower it, and if the rear tire pressure is higher than 30psi , then lower it.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Feeling every bump - that's basically what I have w/ Koni Sports. Then it stands to reason that your str.t's have the same feel since Mr. Strano says they are essentially Sports set on full soft. Handling is awesome don't get me wrong, but the ride is firm for sure. You might check your rear bump stops to see how close they are to the axle. If you're riding real close you can trim a little off and gain some travel.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the rest of the suspension 100% stock? Or do you have any other suspension mods?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

My stock bump stops went to **** so I got some off a 3rd gen. Suspension mods I have are Umi poly/roto joint adj panhard bar and umi poly/roto adj lower control arms. And subframe connectors
Old 12-12-2013, 03:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

What are the tire pressures? Let's start there.

Now as far as the other stuff, I don't think anyone (especially me) would have told you the car was going to ride softer. The springs are shorter than stock and quite a bit stiffer especially in front. That's just physics. What people do find, is when old shocks get well, old, they have more and more impact harshness. Impact harshness and "firm" aren't the same thing.

The car will always get firmer with stiffer springs, that's just how it is. When it's cold, all cars (no matter the shocks or springs) ride stiffer too, because the tires are stiffer, the oil in the shocks is thicker, the rubber in the mounts is stiffer. Again, that's not uncommon.

I would like to know what wheels/tires and what pressures. Air pressure adds spring rate to a tire, and most run them overinflated (you in fact need less air than stock on a bigger wheel/tire as the load per sq/in. is lower than it is with a smaller tire.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuicksterZ
For some reason I can feel every bump in the road and it's rough for some reason thought it was to soften the ride. Not sure if I need to replace anything for a better ride it's a 98 camaro z28 just hit 140k today any help would be nice
There is no "better ride". If you want it to ride like a caddy, trade it for a caddy. Most (if not all) aftermarket suspension is going to firm the ride up. It's not meant to make it ride like a caddy, it's meant to firm up the loose ride. This means you will feel more bumps, but they should be smoother bumps if that makes sense. Your car is doing exactly what the suspension you bought is supposed to do.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I think it all depends on what kind of bumps you are riding over. In my opinion it doesn't matter what kind of suspension you have. No suspension in this car is going to feel good. It's just the way the car is designed.

And yes, the cold has a huge effect. When I used to drive my Camaro in the winter, I had 16 inch snow tires which would soften things up a bit. The bigger tire and rubber that wont harden up like a rock definitely helped.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also keep in mind that not all tires of the same size will have the same construction which can effect ride, and handling(something to keep in mind before buying the cheapest tires). Furthermore a heavier wheel/tire combo can also negatively effect the ride quality to.
Anyway regardless a bad road is still going to feel like a bad road.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QuicksterZ
My stock bump stops went to **** so I got some off a 3rd gen. Suspension mods I have are Umi poly/roto joint adj panhard bar and umi poly/roto adj lower control arms. And subframe connectors
The "solid" nature of the bushings in the LCAs are adding to the harshness....
Old 12-14-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The "solid" nature of the bushings in the LCAs are adding to the harshness....
IMO, any harshness that the LCAs might transfer will be very small contributor to his rough ride. Part of the rough ride could also be from the stiffer(3rd gen) rear bump stops being hit more often with having less compression travel after lowering. Removing any bump stop spacers will help some. I still believe running the tire pressure to high is the biggest contributor to his rough ride.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

Man I'm going through the same thing right now. I went with bmr springs though but I noticed that the ride is harsh over roads with bumps, cracks,etc. I figured it's a trade off for performance I guess
Old 12-16-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
Man I'm going through the same thing right now. I went with bmr springs though but I noticed that the ride is harsh over roads with bumps, cracks,etc. I figured it's a trade off for performance I guess
What shocks?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Launching!

This is definitely a symptom of Koni shocks. Granted, the springs probably aren't helping the ride either since they're lower and stiffer. Koni's are more performance oriented than Bilsteins, but as far as ride quality goes, the Bilstiens ride better. They'll firm up the ride a bit compared to stock shocks, but you won't feel like you're bracing for impact with every bump like the Koni's.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hang on...

First I disagree with the notion that control arms can't/don't change ride much, they can. Hell, LCA BRACKETS can based on the instant center position

Second, let's not condemn a shock this fast. Are Koni's firm. Yes. But there are different springs at least here, and stiffer than stock and stiffer than mine if the 160 number they state is accurate. People go "it's only 10 pounds", yeah which is 7% stiffer. And then we have the issue of which shocks, what they are set at, and what other mods are on the car (down to and including what air pressure).

Bilstein's are softer. So are deCarbon's, how well do those ride?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

I for one removed my SFCs and it made a big improvement on ride quality.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Sam: You're definitely the "the man" when it comes to performance and suspension with these cars. The only thing I think may not get conveyed sometimes is how much more firm the koni's are.

Z28/TA DECARBONS: terrible when they get miles on them (harsh etc)

WS6 DECARBONS: much better than the z28 decarbons, more of an 80's buick feel when they get miles on them.

Bilsteins: what should have come on the car from the factory (removes the 80's buick feel but still provides a nice ride).

Koni: performance, plain and simple. You're sacrificing a softer ride for more stiff performance.

My personal feeling, after having tried all of the above shocks, is that most people would be best served going with Bilsteins when replacing their worn out stock shocks. With the exception being, if they want flat out handling and performance, ride quality be damned.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Funny, because back when my car was in F-stock for autocross (meaning stock springs, stock rear bar, hell stock everything suspension wise but for Koni's and the larger front bar) I'd have folks show up and go for rides, and be amazed how much better the car drove than their cars. And I didn't turn the shocks down, and I hit bumps on purpose to prove it to them. Firm and harsh are NOT the same thing. The stock shocks are softer, and more floaty... but are also very, very harsh especially as they age.

Now I'll agree that the WS6 and SS deCarbon's were better than the Z28/Formula and V-6 ones. I think to some degree it's semantics. But my car on stock 16x8's with the GS-C's never failed to stun people with the ride. Later even on springs and bars and that stuff I'd get a lot of folks asking if I was on stock springs because it was that much better at impact harshness than their cars. On Koni's. Koni's that were not set full soft at either end, though closer to it on the rear than the front.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I for one removed my SFCs and it made a big improvement on ride quality.
With decent shocks, absolutely possible.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Starion
Sam: You're definitely the "the man" when it comes to performance and suspension with these cars. The only thing I think may not get conveyed sometimes is how much more firm the koni's are.

Z28/TA DECARBONS: terrible when they get miles on them (harsh etc)

WS6 DECARBONS: much better than the z28 decarbons, more of an 80's buick feel when they get miles on them.

Bilsteins: what should have come on the car from the factory (removes the 80's buick feel but still provides a nice ride).

Koni: performance, plain and simple. You're sacrificing a softer ride for more stiff performance.

My personal feeling, after having tried all of the above shocks, is that most people would be best served going with Bilsteins when replacing their worn out stock shocks. With the exception being, if they want flat out handling and performance, ride quality be damned.
I get the feeling you are not telling us everything, my Koni SA's rode WAY better than my ~40K mile WS6 decarbons did. More firm, yes, but much much less jarring and much more comfortable. This was the only suspension mod I had at the time, nothing else to interfere with the results.
What Konis did you use? S/As? D/As? Were they new or used?
What wheels/tires did you have? What tires pressure? What other suspension mods did you have?

Quick Reply: Every bump