Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car Feels Like A Boat And I'm Sick Of It.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I went with Strano hollow bars. I believe I can perhaps take a corner faster on paper but the body roll feels the same, so I don't feel much more confidence (not that I would really push it on highway corkscrew on ramp, just a small example).
A good set of lowering springs would definitely help with the body roll you are having since it would lower the center of gravity of the car a good bit. The sway bars you installed definitely should have helped and made a noticeable difference with the body roll you were feeling but since they didn't help as much as you want I would really look at springs next. I would honestly think that the Bilstein shocks, Strano sway bars, and a good quality set of lowering springs should give you that feel you are looking for.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has Hotchkis springs and Koni SAs on it right now. I haven't gotten around to picking up new sway bars yet, but my car feels like a slot car compared to stock. I imagine with some better springs like BMRs and some Strano sway bars, it would be even better. If you do the springs/shocks you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I went with Strano hollow bars. I believe I can perhaps take a corner faster on paper but the body roll feels the same, so I don't feel much more confidence (not that I would really push it on highway corkscrew on ramp, just a small example).
What shocks? I would NEVER do bars over shocks....

Shocks control the rate of the roll. Springs and bars the amount of it. You have less roll than you did for certain. But I'm betting the roll makes the car feel floppy, and it's happening on turn-in vs. mid-corner. That's a lack of rebound control.

Sure you could stiffer springs on and cut more of the amount of roll out. I designed my bars and springs together, which is one reason I don't go nuts on either of them in terms of size. BUT, see the first paragraph and think about it a bit, maybe pay some particular attention as you drive it.

I'm guessing you have poor or low-end shocks that lack decent rebound control, and you are disliking the roll rate more than the roll amount. But that said V-6's espeically 3.4's do have very soft springs. But I'm sure if you think about it you'll realize the car does in fact roll less than it did before, just not any slower.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
What shocks? I would NEVER do bars over shocks....

Shocks control the rate of the roll. Springs and bars the amount of it. You have less roll than you did for certain. But I'm betting the roll makes the car feel floppy, and it's happening on turn-in vs. mid-corner. That's a lack of rebound control.

Sure you could stiffer springs on and cut more of the amount of roll out. I designed my bars and springs together, which is one reason I don't go nuts on either of them in terms of size. BUT, see the first paragraph and think about it a bit, maybe pay some particular attention as you drive it.

I'm guessing you have poor or low-end shocks that lack decent rebound control, and you are disliking the roll rate more than the roll amount. But that said V-6's espeically 3.4's do have very soft springs. But I'm sure if you think about it you'll realize the car does in fact roll less than it did before, just not any slower.
Thanks for chiming in Sam, this is for my Ws6, I haven't had a v6 for several years, I didn't see the point in changing my name.

The shocks on the car are bilstein hd's put on by the previous owner just a few years ago. I thought they would be sufficient for now and I can't afford Koni shocks for quite a while. If you think shocks should be next then that's what I'll do. I guess I was just expecting a lot based on the experiences of others who upgraded their swaybars. In no way do I want to discourage anyone from buying your bars. If this were someone else's thread that I was reading, I'd still buy your swaybars. Also, my wife tells me that I'm easy to deal with, but hard to please/impress . I'm also using a completely different car (05 saleen) as a benchmark. I will try to pay attention next time I drive it as I've only taken it out a few times since I installed the bars.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, the hardware for my rear strano bars came with 2 extra lock washers, I didn't see where they could go so I assumed they were a mistake? There were none for the front, just the amount needed for the endlink assembly.

Quick Reply: Car Feels Like A Boat And I'm Sick Of It.