Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

PHB install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PHB install?

is it possible to install a PHB without jacking the car up?
Old 05-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Launching!

I guess it depends on how clausterphobic you are - I find driveway oil changes impossible without using front ramps, and there's not much more room under the back end. Try getting down under the rear bumper to where you can reach the PHB ends, and judge for yourself.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

I think you could probrably do it with the car on the ground. As long as you can get a wrench and socket on the bolts it'll be a snap.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, once you unbolt it, the car is free to "flop" left or right (the PHB holds it centered over the rear). I doubt that you'll be able to get the bolts back in it after you remove it. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it will make things far more difficult than they need to be. Just remember to lower it back on the wheels before you torque the PHB bolts, but I suspect it will be much easier to install it with the frame on jackstands.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Once the car is on the ground what are the proper torque settings for the PHB and the LCA's? Are these the only two components that need to be torqued once the car is on the ground?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 05-10-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trackbird
Actually, once you unbolt it, the car is free to "flop" left or right (the PHB holds it centered over the rear). I doubt that you'll be able to get the bolts back in it after you remove it. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it will make things far more difficult than they need to be. Just remember to lower it back on the wheels before you torque the PHB bolts, but I suspect it will be much easier to install it with the frame on jackstands.
Agreed, I think it would be pain, I would say half way through the install you would end up jacking it anyway. Just do it right the first time...
Old 05-10-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BattyV6
Once the car is on the ground what are the proper torque settings for the PHB and the LCA's? Are these the only two components that need to be torqued once the car is on the ground?

Thanks,
Andrew

Pretty much any suspension parts should be torqued with weight on the wheels. Install them, put the bolts in and the nuts on, set it down, then tighten the bolts. Otherwise, you may get strange squeaks andother problems. As for torque specs, I do not have them handy. Maybe somebody will drop in with them soon.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Launching!

F-body torque specs http://www.metricchemical.com/fbody.pdf
Old 05-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Launching!

thanks for the replies guys. so to get this right, you do not need to jack the car up by the rearend housing and install the PHB with the suspension loaded? all you have to do is tighten the bolts when the car is resting on the ground? Thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CrazytrainWS6
thanks for the replies guys. so to get this right, you do not need to jack the car up by the rearend housing and install the PHB with the suspension loaded? all you have to do is tighten the bolts when the car is resting on the ground? Thanks

Right.

Quick Reply: PHB install?