Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering Wheel Play

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Play

Ive done some searching and read that the 93-97 have a fix for excess steering play which would be the rag joint eliminator and for the ls models 98-02 there is a bolt you have to tighten. Does anyone have a picture of were this bolt would be located. When the car is off not running i have a good amount of steering play and when its on i could turn left or right while driving and its very slow to respond. Its just has alot of steering play and is very sloppy in general. Before people say its the steering rack i would like to see if there is anything else i can do.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the only other thing I can think of is to check your tie rod ends for play. I replaced the rag joint in my car and it made a decent (but not earth-shattering) difference. The biggest difference was tightening up the steering box (which you don't have).
Old 01-13-2014, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Animal323
Ive done some searching and read that the 93-97 have a fix for excess steering play which would be the rag joint eliminator and for the ls models 98-02 there is a bolt you have to tighten. Does anyone have a picture of were this bolt would be located. When the car is off not running i have a good amount of steering play and when its on i could turn left or right while driving and its very slow to respond. Its just has alot of steering play and is very sloppy in general. Before people say its the steering rack i would like to see if there is anything else i can do.
I think the bolt you are talking about is the one that hold the steering shaft joint together. You can easily see it in the engine bay.
From google:
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/gene...oo-oil-656301/

You can actually see the bolt in this pic, right next to the shocks tower and before the u-joint:
Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

There are 2 bolts no matter which year shaft you have, one on the top and one on the bottom. Just looking at the shaft when standing over the engine bay you should be able to see the top one, they're both pretty obvious... I use a 11mm on both. Definitely need those tight..
One thing we do not know is do you have a 93-97 shaft or 98+? If you have the 93 one then you have a rag joint and it is definitely worn out.. I would go with the ls1 year shaft... I did and it's a very noticeable difference..
Old 01-16-2014, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies guys and sorry to respond so late ive been pretty busy lately. My car is an 02 trans am and thanks for the picture it did help me alot i will be trying this once i have some time.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are "keeper" bolts at the ends of the linkage and
on mine, the one down by the rack was so loose that
the linkage had just about pulled off the pinion stub.
That was making the steering a little sloppy. Tire shop
dude found it while inspecting. Would have been interesting
if it had finished creeping off....

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Play