Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cutting coils for a half inch drop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by savage388
Thank you for the advice, I think I'll pick up a set of the koni str.t for the car then and keep the springs stock for now. Since you seem pretty knowledgeable which do you think should come first, shocks or sfc's and phb?
Shocks>>>>>>SFC's. I have both, SFC's did nothing, while shocks (Koni SA's) were the biggest difference in all the mods I have.
Shocks before all else, IMO. The factory DeCarbons are basically so bad that getting a good set of aftermarket shocks will make more difference than any other suspension mod (the rest of the stock suspension isn't really bad at all). And the chassis is plenty stiff, most can't tell a difference with SFC's, especially after getting proper shocks. These cars feel like their flexing because the stock shocks are not doing their job, the car feels loose, floaty, jarring and disconnected, even if SFC's made the chassis noticeably stiffer, the main problem would still be there: poor dampening, and the car would still feel loose, floaty, jarring and disconnected.

Whether or not you want to cut your springs is up to you, I just wouldn't cut much at all off (1/2" drop's worth).
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Isn't 150lbs for the rear what the Strano springs are at? Front rate is low though compared to his. I wonder how much of a difference those 200lbs in the front make in handling.
Thats a pretty cool chart, very informative.
I think its safe to say 200lbs/in in the front will make a pretty massive difference in handling. The stiffness going from stock (290lbs/in) to stranos (550lbs/in) was pretty huge (in a good way). WAY more responsive, less dive/roll etc.
For what its worth, 1LE front springs for these cars were 360lbs/in at stock height.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Here is some info on calculating spring rates if you cut the springs. See the formula in the top box.....

Thanks for that, it turns alot of guessing into more of an exact science which is very nice. Im also interested to see what the balance change will be like wit h the increase in the rear verus front. What size drop are those for?
Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Shocks>>>>>>SFC's. I have both, SFC's did nothing, while shocks (Koni SA's) were the biggest difference in all the mods I have.
Shocks before all else, IMO. The factory DeCarbons are basically so bad that getting a good set of aftermarket shocks will make more difference than any other suspension mod (the rest of the stock suspension isn't really bad at all). And the chassis is plenty stiff, most can't tell a difference with SFC's, especially after getting proper shocks. These cars feel like their flexing because the stock shocks are not doing their job, the car feels loose, floaty, jarring and disconnected, even if SFC's made the chassis noticeably stiffer, the main problem would still be there: poor dampening, and the car would still feel loose, floaty, jarring and disconnected.

Whether or not you want to cut your springs is up to you, I just wouldn't cut much at all off (1/2" drop's worth).
okay im just making sure my priorities are straight with this, I have a bit less money from income tax than I thought I was going to so the most important things are first.
I dont plan on cutting much off at all, I cant realy have the car very low around here but I do want a little more spring rate and less gap for now.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took one coil off the front and my front end is about perfect. I'll never buy springs again, just be reasonable with your cutting.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Bumping this up for a possibly retarded question that I have... Is it possible to cut the front springs while they are still assembled on the front struts? The infamous bolt is insanely rusted on my car. Its not even a bolt anymore just a little mound of rust. To get it off my mechanic said my shocks would likely be damaged in the process... I can't afford new shocks yet, but I absolutely can't stand the 4x4 look anymore. I hate it. So I am looking for a temporary fix until the summer. Since I can't disassemble the shocks I was wondering if it's possible to just cut the spring while still on the shock assembly?
Old 02-09-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Bumping this up for a possibly retarded question that I have... Is it possible to cut the front springs while they are still assembled on the front struts? The infamous bolt is insanely rusted on my car. Its not even a bolt anymore just a little mound of rust. To get it off my mechanic said my shocks would likely be damaged in the process... I can't afford new shocks yet, but I absolutely can't stand the 4x4 look anymore. I hate it. So I am looking for a temporary fix until the summer. Since I can't disassemble the shocks I was wondering if it's possible to just cut the spring while still on the shock assembly?
Find someone parting out their car and see if their bolts are any better, that's what I did.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

*These cars have shocks, not struts.
No its not really safely possible to cut the springs while they are still mounted on the shocks. Even if you could I can't imagine why you would want to run the stock shocks. A decent set of shocks would be cheaper than your full exhaust setup and do WAY WAY more for how the car actually drives, easily the best mod you can do to these things.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Find someone parting out their car and see if their bolts are any better, that's what I did.
Thats not the problem. The bolt is rusted so badly my mechanic said the process of removing it (will require quite a bit of force I'm guessing) will damage the shocks.
Originally Posted by JD_AMG
*These cars have shocks, not struts.
No its not really safely possible to cut the springs while they are still mounted on the shocks. Even if you could I can't imagine why you would want to run the stock shocks. A decent set of shocks would be cheaper than your full exhaust setup and do WAY WAY more for how the car actually drives, easily the best mod you can do to these things.
Yeah I dont know why I said struts at first. I just can't afford new shocks at the moment. They are definitely on the list in the coming months but can't currently do it and like I said I can't stand the 4x4 stance anymore. It sits so high with so much gap and it makes the wheels look so small it's just terrible. I know its not really a big deal but it's just a little nagging thing thats been bothering me more and more every day. I just want a temporary fix so that I'm at least ok with how the car looks in the mean time until I can get some new shocks.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Thats not the problem. The bolt is rusted so badly my mechanic said the process of removing it (will require quite a bit of force I'm guessing) will damage the shocks.
I apologize for the confusion, but I think you may have misinterpreted me. I meant to just go find someone who is parting out their car whose top nuts are in serviceable shape. Then just buy the whole assemblies, disassemble them, chop the factory springs on those, and then put them all back together and in your car. You can usually find stock ones for pretty cheap on here.

Quick Reply: cutting coils for a half inch drop?