Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

coil over spring rate

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil over spring rate

About a year ago I had Strange double adjustable coilovers installed in my 93 camaro z28. the spring rate is a 14 inch hyper coil spring rated at 325. The car sits extremely low in the front on stock wheels, to the point that you can barely get a finger between the wheel well and the tire. I am wondering if the spring may be inadequate for a lowered car. I am wondering if it would be worth moving up to a heavier spring rate? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends what you're using the car for. IMO. 325lb/in is way too small, but some people run that pretty commonly for drag racing. If it's more of a daily or street car I would run 450-550lbs. And if it's a track car/rr/ and or autox then I'd run a 550-700lb spring in the front. It all depends on the person and what they like too though. If the coilover is ride height adjustable coilover then you should be able to raise the car up
Old 02-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
Depends what you're using the car for. IMO. 325lb/in is way too small, but some people run that pretty commonly for drag racing. If it's more of a daily or street car I would run 450-550lbs. And if it's a track car/rr/ and or autox then I'd run a 550-700lb spring in the front. It all depends on the person and what they like too though. If the coilover is ride height adjustable coilover then you should be able to raise the car up
The camaro is mostly used for street driving. So it sounds like a higher spring rate would help. If I went to the 450 550 range should I get a different length spring? 12 inch as opposed to 14 inch? Thanks for the quick response.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have the spring perches adjusted all the way up for highest ride height? If not then thats your issue.
Getting a stiffer rate spring may not be a great idea with those drag shocks, the car is going to ride worse, launch worse, and bounce more as a non-gas charged drag shock like strange won't be able to deal with the higher spring rate.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:03 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Do you have the spring perches adjusted all the way up for highest ride height? If not then thats your issue.
Getting a stiffer rate spring may not be a great idea with those drag shocks, the car is going to ride worse, launch worse, and bounce more as a non-gas charged drag shock like strange won't be able to deal with the higher spring rate.
I think he's got the nail on the head.

The shocks you have are not really geared toward being a street car shock, more of a Drag oriented shock, so changing be spring rate on the existing shocks you have will likely make it worse like JD is saying. You're narrowly basing the low stance of the car to the spring rate. fixing the issue you're having with the car being low is not going to have much to do with the spring rate. If you're happy with the way the car feels/drives and handles then change the spring perch location by adjusting it up further and raising the car up. If you're not happy with the way the car feels/drives and handles then you're best bet would be to change the spring rate and the shock to accommodate the spring rate you're wanting to run and if the car isn't geared toward drag racing, then the stange shocks are not what should be on a street car IMO.

Quick Reply: coil over spring rate