Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-13-2016, 03:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Best suspension upgrades for 4th gen ls

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, looking to upgrade suspension on '02 Z28 convertible (PA roads) without lowering the car. Stiff ride is fine but looking for street performance. Thinking new shocks/struts, springs, bushings. I see Koni is recommended a lot in this thread. Is there a street kit you recommend for simplicity and compatibility? Or recommend buying components separate? Appreciate any guidance and let me know if easier to call your shop (and #). Thanks
Old 04-24-2024, 11:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 02frag215
Hi, looking to upgrade suspension on '02 Z28 convertible (PA roads) without lowering the car. Stiff ride is fine but looking for street performance. Thinking new shocks/struts, springs, bushings. I see Koni is recommended a lot in this thread. Is there a street kit you recommend for simplicity and compatibility? Or recommend buying components separate? Appreciate any guidance and let me know if easier to call your shop (and #). Thanks
The best shock is always going to be the best shock. The car doesn't know a race track from Street and it doesn't weigh more or less on a race track versus the street. Obviously Pennsylvania roads or something I know given I live in Pennsylvania. And if you don't want to lower it that's fine good shocks and sway bars still do massive things to improve the way the car drives even if you don't lower it.

You don't need to go to Koni Sport if something is stopping you. However I would it would be my recommendation. And it is what is on pretty much all of my cars that don't have something either beyond those, or by rule for my autocrossing don't allow change.

Can't change springs, there are no aftermarket springs that are more performance oriented than what you have and also not lower. And if there was anything wrong with your springs your car would be sagging. Sounds like it is not sagging. So you're not going to do anything there. And sure we have all new bushings and ball joints and those things available, that's easy. There is no real kit here. By , that's easy. There is no real kit here. Decide on a set of shocks, again I would tell you in recommend sway bars strongly, not any version by the way many companies don't have a big enough front or they have two large rear or something like that. And then we can get you the bushings and the ball joints and the tie rod ends and all that stuff if you want to refresh all the stock arms.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 220 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by 02frag215
Here’s a decent review on Bilstein shocks. On a side note, the more handling oriented parts that you install the crappier the ride quality will become.
Bilstein

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 04-24-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Here’s a decent review on Bilstein shocks.Bilstein
Although not really relevant. The SLP version of the shock doesn't exist anymore. I have hd's in stock though and it's certainly not a terrible choice. You could do far worse. Keep in mind that Bilstein fronts are the shock only. There is no lower spring perch there is no spring indexing ring there are no dust boots there are no bump stops. Koni come with those, but those, but Bilstein fronts do not.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-24-2024, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Although not really relevant. The SLP version of the shock doesn't exist anymore. I have hd's in stock though and it's certainly not a terrible choice. You could do far worse. Keep in mind that Bilstein fronts are the shock only. There is no lower spring perch there is no spring indexing ring there are no dust boots there are no bump stops. Koni come with those, but those, but Bilstein fronts do not.
SLP didn’t buy Bilstein shocks and just slap SLP stickers on them? Surely a boutique car builder doesn’t have their own springs made by a major mfg. What other names were the “SLP Bilstens” sold under?
Old 04-24-2024, 01:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

SLP didn’t buy Bilstein shocks and just slap SLP stickers on them? Surely a boutique car builder doesn’t have their own springs made by a major mfg. What other names were the “SLP Bilstens” sold under?
Nope. And while at times they were similar they were not identical. Both front and rear valvings differed. Overtime some of that was incorporated into the regular production shocks but not all of it.

Y2K_Frenzy (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope. And while at times they were similar they were not identical. Both front and rear valvings differed. Overtime some of that was incorporated into the regular production shocks but not all of it.
I think I found a vendor that still has an old ad up for SLP Bilstein. They call them “level II’s.” I wonder what level one was..? Not that it matters anymore I suppose but what’s the difference between the SLP’s and the HD’s? Which shock is better at what? Were the SLP’s a little softer?
*Edit*
I think the “kit” is discontinued and the vendor is just selling them individually now. The singles are listed as B6’s but they have the same description as their “out of stock” “Level II Kit.” “Bilstein designed these for SLP..” Too lazy to update the description I guess.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 04-24-2024 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The shocks weren't any different between them anyway, that was the springs.

Old 05-12-2024, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Thumbs down

Shocks are the single MOST IMPORTANT thing to make better on these cars. You can certainly run my springs on stock shocks, but considering that the stock shocks are pretty weak and are usually quite overwhelmed by the taller, softer stock springs, putting shorter and stiffer springs on usually isn't a prescription for the best driving car. I'd love to say my springs were so magical they could make any shock look good. But I'm not a big one for telling tall tales, and well others do that plenty (claim their springs "work with any shock"). Not my thing, rather be honest.
Um, and let me guess, "you can sell him all the over priced crap that you stock."
Y2K_Frenzy (05-12-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 03:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SteveC
Um, and let me guess, "you can sell him all the over priced crap that you stock."
I carry about everything, including the junk most others, presumably like you would "recommend" without any supporting results.

Check the attitude. Results don't lie. I've got them. What I don't have is patience for people who have no idea and want to continue to be ignorant. The Internet is chock full of experts in their own minds and I generally avoid trying to battle them, but every once in a while a Grade A jackass, like you shows up.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I carry about everything, including the junk most others, presumably like you would "recommend" without any supporting results.

Check the attitude. Results don't lie. I've got them. What I don't have is patience for people who have no idea and want to continue to be ignorant. The Internet is chock full of experts in their own minds and I generally avoid trying to battle them, but every once in a while a Grade A jackass, like you shows up.
You’re just as good as any other vendor except since you sell to a niche market you can’t afford to lose as many customers for calling people Jackasses as Summit Racing can. Don’t lose sight of who needs who. You sell parts for a living not us.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 05-13-2024 at 12:06 PM.
SteveC (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

Smile

every once in a while a Grade A jackass, like you shows up.
I AM NOT A JACKASS, tell me how you really feel Sammy (LOL)

Me 10 years ago

Old 05-13-2024, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

You’re just as good as any other vendor except since you sell to a niche market you can’t afford to lose as many customers for calling people Jackasses as Summit Racing can. Don’t loose sight of who needs who. You sell parts for a living not us.
^^This 1000%^^
Y2K_Frenzy (05-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Best suspension upgrades for 4th gen ls