Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Advice needed for springs after I did a wheel upgrade

Old 02-10-2014, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Advice needed for springs after I did a wheel upgrade

Recently I put on 3 piece billet ROH Modina 18" wheels on with Toyota Proxy's size 285/35/18 and 295/35/18 in the rear. The rims are 10.5" and 11.5" respectfully. The car had the suspension modifications in my signature but on stock 16" 50 series tires and stock springs and shocks with only 19,000 miles.

My concerns now are the space in the wheel wells looks terrible with the 35 series tires. The car rides very hard now due to the tires and of course it's much colder now. I was planning on lowering the car but don't want to kill ride comfort completely. I'm a 50 year old gym rat with a sore back most days haha. The car is a weekend toy and NOT a d/d. I was considering the Koni STR.T shocks with the BMR springs but the spring rate is very high like the Strano springs OR cutting 1 full coil off the front and rear springs and doing the heater hose modals well.

The reason for the 18" rims were a great price, I stole them for $800 with the new Toyo's, and the ctsv big brake kit I'm putting on as well. I like to carve a turn now and then. I want to do this once and do it right so what direction should I take? I was even thinking of selling the rims and tires and just going to a stock 17" SS wheel with a 45 series tire and leaving the brakes alone. I just can't have the car ride like a truck. Thanks guys for your help
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as the rough ride quality have you tried setting the front tires to 32psi and the rear tires to 30psi..?

For lowering BMR has 1" lowering front A-arms, which won't effect the ride quality, then in the rear a set of Hotchkis, or BMR lowering springs which should have minimal effect of the ride quality. I would also recommend a good set of shocks like the Koni STR.T or Bilsteins to go along with these up grades.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else??
Old 02-19-2014, 04:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
As far as the rough ride quality have you tried setting the front tires to 32psi and the rear tires to 30psi..?

For lowering BMR has 1" lowering front A-arms, which won't effect the ride quality, then in the rear a set of Hotchkis, or BMR lowering springs which should have minimal effect of the ride quality. I would also recommend a good set of shocks like the Koni STR.T or Bilsteins to go along with these up grades.
I definitely agree with this recommendation minus the Hotchkis rear springs.

Our BMR 1" lowering front a-arms (AA020) will allow you to lower the car using the factory springs so if you team them up with a good quality shock that isn't valved to stiffly like the Bilstein or Koni STR.T than you will get the lowered look with the good ride quality. For the rear I would recommend using our BMR rear lowering springs (SP003) which are little stiffer than the factory ones but will only change up the ride quality minimally and give you that lowered look you are going for.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, the only reason for suggesting the rear Hotchkis springs is because of the slightly softer spring rate. I'm sure the BMR rear springs would also work very well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice needed for springs after I did a wheel upgrade