Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Front Wheel Hub and Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
SKF is pretty much the industry leader for bearings and not just automobile. They make top of the line wheel bearings and is for many companies the OEM manufacturer (though they may not be making many bearings in the US). For me if I had the extra change I would go with SKF for sure, if not it would be Timken. The Autox guys and RRers seem to like the Timken bearings for their good warranty + they are still made in the US. You could do the Ebay route but I've heard of more problems with them after only a few weeks time then the Timkens. I definitely wouldn't want to be skimping on wheel bearings!
Well stated!

So far, the OE front hub bearings on my Z-28 are holding up OK, but on my GMC 4x4, it was a different story. I replaced them with SKF hubs, that I got from an SKF warehouse distributor in NJ. They were "drop shipped" to my house directly from SKF......and they were made in the USA.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anybody confirm torque specs for the front hub bolts?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

63 ft. lbs.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered new hubs from rock auto. I ordered and paid for Moog. I got one Moog part and one National Hub Assemblies part. Dimensionally they are the same. Appearance wise there are differences. Rock Auto is giving me a hard time on the return of the non-Moog part. Am I being ridiculous in expecting to get what I paid for?
Old 03-03-2016, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd be irritated if I intentionally selected Moog due to their reputation over the other brands, and then they sent me something different. IMHO, they should have asked you if an alternate part number was acceptable instead of assuming.

I hope the SKF adapter brackets are still being made by the time I get to them in my list, then I can run the SKF C5 race bearings.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Ok Rock Auto is working with me on this now. Today they sent a fedex label to return the other hub and admitted they should have sent me a Moog part. Pretty righteous. Luckily I am under no time constraints otherwise this would suck big cow *****.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Update***

Rock Auto can't guarantee I will get a Moog Part in the Moog box. I sent back old hub and requested a refund. I went to local Advanced Auto and bought exactly what I wanted. Disappointed with Rock Auto.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Update***

Rock Auto can't guarantee I will get a Moog Part in the Moog box. I sent back old hub and requested a refund. I went to local Advanced Auto and bought exactly what I wanted. Disappointed with Rock Auto.
I would be too!!

Usually, they're pretty good.........
Old 03-04-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my rear Moog LCA bushings through Rockauto and received Harris bushings..? They had the same part # that the factory 1LE bushings came with. I don't know, I'm not a picky person at all though, I can be when I want to, but stuff like that doesn't bother me at all I guess
Old 03-04-2016, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
I bought my rear Moog LCA bushings through Rockauto and received Harris bushings..? They had the same part # that the factory 1LE bushings came with. I don't know, I'm not a picky person at all though, I can be when I want to, but stuff like that doesn't bother me at all I guess
I typically am not picky and I can tell you I am not being picky here either. The moog hub looked just like in the photos in the ads. The national one was darker, the studs had a greenish hue, the center divot in the hub had different contour and the space from the hub to the body was a different dimension. The steel on the plate with the holes for the bolts also had a different hue to it. It looked like a completely different part by itself. It didn't even have a dust cap for the ABS sensor.

Had I received a matching pair of those I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

I will say something good about Rock Auto, every other Moog part ordered from them came in a Moog box and was a Moog part inside. Also they very quickly responded saying they would refund me my money when they couldn't guarantee that I would get a Moog hub. Ofcourse I must wait for them to receive their part back and then I have to wait three days for a refund.

Last edited by 30thanniv; 03-04-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
I could be wrong, but I think that Harris is a Moog sub-contractor, who makes the rubber part of the bushing "assembly"...
Old 03-05-2016, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camarokid91
Yeah it should be stated if you don't race any hub will be fine. Taking corners on the street fast is nothing compared to a car going over a G corner to corner for minutes at a time.
Yes, a Hoosier R7 is NOT exactly a street tire, and IF you drove them to their limits on the street, you would be incarcerated in very short order!!
Old 03-05-2016, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Moog/National is the same thing. Look over the box closely and you'll see what I mean. I think they are branded under the Federal-Mogul name.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 5w20
Moog/National is the same thing. Look over the box closely and you'll see what I mean. I think they are branded under the Federal-Mogul name.
When it comes to hubs, they are not. Hold a Moog hub in your hand, and a national. I have. They are completely different (finish and machine work). The Moog unit lasted much longer before it developed play in a sticky tire/handling application.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
When it comes to hubs, they are not. Hold a Moog hub in your hand, and a national. I have. They are completely different (finish and machine work). The Moog unit lasted much longer before it developed play in a sticky tire/handling application.

I concur with this observation. I wish I would have photographed the two hubs.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
All the post manufacture OEMS are trash if you do any real driving. I killed 23 hubs in 2 year while I owned my 90% prepped ESP car. If you argue they are fine you don't drive hard enough. 79_T/A knows exactly what im talking about.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

^^^OF COURSE, as VERY FEW on here open track, or even autocross their cars on sticky gumballs every weekend.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by camarokid91
All the post manufacture OEMS are trash if you do any real driving. I killed 23 hubs in 2 year while I owned my 90% prepped ESP car. If you argue they are fine you don't drive hard enough. 79_T/A knows exactly what im talking about.
We should have had a contest. It got so bad when I went to fixed calipers that I was junking a fresh set after every track day. I was trying to warranty so many that 2 parts stores told me not to come back.

But yeah most people don't drive nearly hard enough to kill one, or have enough negative camber (kills them quicker). Besides the OEM, Moog worked best for me and they had a good warranty. While timken bearings are usually great, I can't say the same for f-body hubs. They turned to trash quickly.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Hub and Bearings