Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

? about c5 Z06 calipers on Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about c5 Z06 calipers on Fbody

I know there has been tons of posts about these things. But I never saw the details I was looking for.

Car is a 2002 WS6 if that matters.

So I bought a full set front and rear. From what I gathered I can run them with Fbody rotors and Pads. Is this correct for sure? I read that people are doing it. But is there any weird wear to the pad since the rotor is smaller? I also read the rear caliper is the exact same as the stock Fbody. Is this also true? I order them as a set so I didnt have to go get new rears powder coated.

My next question is. Do they take the same brake likes? Could a run a steel braided brake line kit for the Fbody on those Calipers?

My last question. I read some post from a guy who said the front C5 Z06 Caliper will also bolt straight up to the rear with stock Fbody rotors and pads. Anyone know if thats true. Thats purely a cosmetic thing. More curious really.

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by dezertrat37; 02-21-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow i did not know you can run stock f body rotors and pads. If this is true i will have to look into getting a set from my buddy.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 73CamaroLT
Wow i did not know you can run stock f body rotors and pads. If this is true i will have to look into getting a set from my buddy.
Whats your gas mileage with 4.10's city and hwy?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You just use your f-body abutment brackets. Same way you can use your F-Body caliper on a C5 rotor with the F-body abutment bracket. The abutment brackets dictate what pads you can use. The calipers are essentially the same from PBR... difference being gravity cast vs pressure cast and strengthening ribbing on the C5... and different size brake pistons.

Brake lines will be the same. The only reason folks get "C5" fronts is because the caliper is moved out to accommodate the C5 rotor.

As far as the rear goes... not sure, but I think yes. I know the C6Z06 ones can't bolt up to a stock 10-bolt due to the fixed calipers, but the rear C5 calipers are sliding calipers like the F-Body. Which is important on a 10-bolt.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
You just use your f-body abutment brackets. Same way you can use your F-Body caliper on a C5 rotor with the F-body abutment bracket. The abutment brackets dictate what pads you can use. The calipers are essentially the same from PBR... difference being gravity cast vs pressure cast and strengthening ribbing on the C5...
I think you meant F-body caliper on a C5 rotor with C5 abutment bracket along with an aftermarket adapter?
Old 02-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Yes a C5 base, C5 Z06 and C6 base rear caliper will bolt straight up to a rear brake F-body abutment bracket...it's working well for me so far. for the rear, only the casting is different as prev. stated. the vettes being pressure cast and f-bodies being gravity cast.

the abutment brackets dictate size of pads and size of rotor. so front rotors on a C5 are 12.8" which is just under an inch bigger than the F-body's. if the F-body's front abutment bracket can accomodate a 12.8" rotor...then all vendors selling C5/C6 brake upgrade kits are? out to lunch?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mikestypes
I think you meant F-body caliper on a C5 rotor with C5 abutment bracket along with an aftermarket adapter?
Yes - the abutment bracket is different than the caliper bracket that attaches to the spindle.

If you want to move to a C5 rotor, you need a new conversion bracket to actually bolt the caliper too. Some of those require C5 abutment brackets and therefore C5 pads - and you can use either the F-Body or C5 caliper. LG and the 6LE conversion brackets work with the F-Body abutment bracket and F-Body pad if you wanted to use them.

If you're using an F-Body rotor, you can use either the C5 or F-Body caliper but it'd be best to stick with the F-Body abutment bracket and pad.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

I have C6 front brakes and have not been happy with how the smaller piston size of the caliper has resulted in a brake imbalance to the rear. I still have my f-body calipers so I may try them to see how they work with the vette rotors.

If I am getting this correctly, I can swap the calipers out but keep the C6 abutment brackets and the vette pads with the f-body calipers? I have Kore3 brackets.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Launching!

^^^ yea i hear yah on the piston sizes...the C6 base calipers have pistons of 40.5mm in diameter ....the LS1 and C5Z06 calipers have pistons of 44.45mm in diameter.

i was annoyed with this as well.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Launching!

sorry about that...the C5 Z06 caliper also has pistons 40.5mm (and not 44.45mm) in diameter.

my bad.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dezertrat37
Whats your gas mileage with 4.10's city and hwy?
I average around 16-18mpg thats 80% city and 20% highway. If i do straight shot highway im nomally 24+. All the guys that claim higher then that probably dont have "fun" when they drive. I like to give it alittle hit here and there so it could be better.

Quick Reply: ? about c5 Z06 calipers on Fbody