Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for thoughts on rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for thoughts on rough ride

Well after all the hard suspension work I've done, I'm looking for ideas on what the main culprit is to change out to help with ride comfort. Only reason is I'm giving my daily driver ranger to my fiances son for 16th bday so driving this daily for a bit. I'll list what mods I've got

LT1 pro kit springs- thinking this is it
KYB adjustables all the way around
Subrframe connectors bolt in
double adjustable panhard bar
Founders On-Car Adjustable Lower Control Arms Poly/Rod
Founders On Car Adjustable Panhard Rod Bar Rod/Rod Style
Founders Lower Control Arms Relocation Brackets
BMR trans mount adj torque arm

Since dropping with the springs and now with LT headers and Texas speed Y I'm scraping often. So i'm looking to maybe go back to factory springs to help comfort if this seems to be culprit.

Don't get me wrong I love the drive but getting older and the fact that fiancé refuses to ride in it lol, need to make some changes. Besides heard these springs are bad for launch anyways.
Hook me up with some thoughts and thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LT1 prokit is not "bad", but there are better out there. All else equal stock springs are going to ride the best compared to lowering springs.
your KYB's are not helping the cause, as they adjust compression with rebound on the same ****, so the higher you go the more compression you are dialing up, other single adjustable shocks are not like that.
And your rear LCA's are not helping either, go back to the stock ones and see if thats any better.
Keep tire pressure around 30psi ideally as well.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Ok ty for the reply... I will probably pick up some regular LCA's from Founders... Won't need the adjustables or anything...Going back to factory springs too...Shocks are going to have to ride it out since I don't have that much to spare atm...Surely better than the factory decarbons I pulled off...
Old 02-22-2014, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dainius56
Ok ty for the reply... I will probably pick up some regular LCA's from Founders...
no no no, stock LCA's with rubber bushings. The bushings are what effect ride quality. Did you get rid of the stock ones you had?
Old 02-22-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
no no no, stock LCA's with rubber bushings. The bushings are what effect ride quality. Did you get rid of the stock ones you had?
^^This....I chased a noisy rough ride and it turned out being the "aftermarket" LCA's. I braced the stockers and reinstalled. Quiet as a mouse and dead hooks/no wheel hop using LCA relocation brackets on lowest hole. Try it.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

I wouldn't swap the springs until you get those stock LCAs (with rubber) back on it. I had the Founders poly LCAs and hated them as well. Do that ... and you might be happy.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

wow back to stockers for LCA's huh? I'll shop around for some don't think I kept the originals... I'm sure I'll go back to stock springs though since its too low for y-pipe and I get really annoyed Scraping when I do by accident. I loved the look before headers but now I love the headers more lol... I'm going to try and dig up some parts if I kept them but may be back tomorrow looking for parts...
Old 02-22-2014, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Either that ... or try to find some rubber bushings that will fit the tubular LCAs in place of the poly. If you find something ... let me know ... I would love to put my Founders LCAs back on it ... if I could find the right size rubber in place of the poly.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get stockers in the classifieds for $20
Old 02-23-2014, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

And I just realized in my original post I put LT1 prokit... yea its the LS1 prokit... is that going to make a dramatic difference in ride from you gurus opinion? I heard the LS1 prokit was dramatically different in terms of quality...
Old 02-23-2014, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI, the Founders LCAs with the 3 Piece Poly Joints on both ends would be as quiet as stock.
http://www.foundersperformance.com/1...ce-poly-joint/
LS1 Prokit has a softer spring rates.
The LS1 Prokit has a 400 lb.in. front and, 80-137 lb.in. rear spring rates.
The LT1 Prokit has a 366-600 lb.in front, and 94-160 lb.in. rear spring rates.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

I have actually been looking at those today and comparing...I don't want to lose too much performance but getting older so these od ends gotta go... Most people could handle the noise nope not me...Thanks for the reply I am ordering right now... Still undecided on springs.... thinking I need the additional clearance for headers now anyways
Old 02-23-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock LCA for the win!!! I had a jittery knocking ride with roto joints. I switched back to the stock ones and it is quiet and smooth. I am pretty low also. It honestly rides better than stock just a little more firm.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Alright so I just go back from the muffler shop.. Had a new muffler installed since flowmaster is beyond crap with headers and ORY. Also had them Do some tucking on y-pipe and a little fabbing and now its almost factory clearance.... So prolly stick with the springs for a bit.. Got some different LCA's coming that aren't rod end... All in all rdy to drive it a bit... It's at shop for about a week getting AC completely worked over so I'll update when I can.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

got the new 3 piece poly from Founders installed and gotta say, loving the ride now! No more noise from rod end LCA's. Perfect for my daily driver now. Thanks for the recommendation 99Bluz28!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
FYI, the Founders LCAs with the 3 Piece Poly Joints on both ends would be as quiet as stock.
http://www.foundersperformance.com/1...ce-poly-joint/
This right here, I just got my drivers side in tonight (ran out of light and it was dinner time), but WOW is all I can say, quiet and firm yet smooth. But my only comparison is my stock 205k mile lower control arms.

OP, Your problem (as far as lower control arms go) is the rod end, they aren't practical for a street car and are known to cause harsh/noisy rides.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 03-08-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ls1 pro kit is junk IMO. You would be better of with stock springs cut half a coil.

I also have kyb's.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dainius56
And I just realized in my original post I put LT1 prokit... yea its the LS1 prokit... is that going to make a dramatic difference in ride from you gurus opinion? I heard the LS1 prokit was dramatically different in terms of quality...
That's potentially part of your problem. The LS1 engine is somewhat lighter than the iron-block LT1, so the additional weight of the LT1 has you sitting lower, with the LS1 springs in place...
Old 03-09-2014, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

That's potentially part of your problem. The LS1 engine is somewhat lighter than the iron-block LT1, so the additional weight of the LT1 has you sitting lower, with the LS1 springs in place...
But I have the LS1... just a misread but I plan on picking up some rear springs from BMR maybe to get rid of the slight sag. I have never had a problem with the fronts on the Pro-kit and love the way it looks. It has always been the rear. Then I can change out the fronts later when I gather all four shocks and some ball joints, et.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm debating taking my umi tubular non adjustable poly rear lca's out and swapping the stock rear control arms with rubber bushings back in. Even with new Bilsteins on stock springs the rear end feels so harsh over less than perfect pavement. Also considering removing my sub frame connectors. I daily drive mine and am starting to hate it because of the rough ride. Any feedback from anyone who has gone back to stock rear lcas/removed subframe connectors?

Quick Reply: Looking for thoughts on rough ride