Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Releases New Product- Bolt-in Rear Coil Over Kit for the 82-02 GM F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the ride with the Camaro 2" lowered. Does it bottom out or anything?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rholdcroft99
How's the ride with the Camaro 2" lowered. Does it bottom out or anything?
We recommend making sure the car has the factory bump stops or similar. The bump stops will hit before the shock bottoms out. Will the bump stops hit on 2" lower? Yes this is possible, but not from the kit, just from being 2" low.

I hope that helps,
Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bringing this back.... ive got a few questions...

how do these viking shocks handle in comparison to a set of Koni yellow SA rears?? autoX and drag?

does this kit clear a rear drag sway bar specifically a Spohn 1" solid rear?

are there any clearance issues when used with a Moser 9" that has 3" dia axle tubes? (pictures look a little tight around the adjustment cups)
Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C Murda

how do these viking shocks handle in comparison to a set of Koni yellow SA rears?? autoX and drag?

are there any clearance issues when used with a Moser 9" that has 3" dia axle tubes? (pictures look a little tight around the adjustment cups)
I will let Ramey handle the shock question since he is our shock pro here at UMI.

We have confirmed this kit to clear the UMI 22mm sway bar and the 32mm UMI drag bar. It should clear others as well but we can't guarantee that, I know there for awhile the Spohn bar interfered with adjustable shocks with adjustment *****, if you have that bar it won't clear it.

The contour of the Moser shock mounts is a little different than stock so we include a laser cut spacer to fix this. So it will fit on the Moser 9", if our spacer isn't perfect another washer may be needed but it will work. There is a variance in the shock mounts we found.

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C Murda

Thanks for the inquiry.

We are having good success with the Viking rears (and fronts for that matter) on our two test F-bodies.

The debate rages on with the "feel" of the Koni's being king on all the forums. For street use we have no complaints and have hundreds of test miles including highway trips driving to and from events.

From a performance standpoint we've been able to effectively use the Viking's wide adjustment range to our benefit on all three styles of testing. Street, strip and auto-x. Specifically over the past month we gave hundreds of laps of customer rides at Carlisle, PA, and ran both GoodGuys and Syracuse Nationals auto-x.

Specifically compared to Koni Yellow SA's, the Viking can be adjusted both above and below the damping range of the Koni's on the dyno curve. The shape of the curve is slightly different (theoretically and probably real as well, difficult to determine without trying sets side by side on a dyno). I'd expect a pro driver to perform well on a track with both brands.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the quick reply! Any way you could tell me the measuring diameter of the largest adjustment collar so that i can see if my spohn sway bar will clear? Also will there be any clearance issues on a minitubbed car?

Last edited by C Murda; 07-23-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:48 PM
FormerVendor

Looks like the adjustable spring perch is 3.375" at it's largest diameter.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok thank you i will check my clearances.

Quick Reply: UMI Releases New Product- Bolt-in Rear Coil Over Kit for the 82-02 GM F-Body