Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering my car, looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my car, looking for opinions

I have a 2002 Camaro SS. Within the next few weeks, it will be getting new BMR springs and a set of Bilstiens on all four corners. Also, energy suspension front/rear sway bar bushings and links. My question...how necessary is an adjustable panhard bar or any other suspension components when doing this? I have the stock size wheels and tires and plan on keeping it that way. You can read so many things, from "You NEED it" to "Don't waste your money." I'm very picky when it comes to my rides. I don't want want things out of whack, vibrations, etc. A friend of mine that builds these cars, says I don't need it. Just would like some others with experience to chime in. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CGT77
I have a 2002 Camaro SS. Within the next few weeks, it will be getting new BMR springs and a set of Bilstiens on all four corners. Also, energy suspension front/rear sway bar bushings and links. My question...how necessary is an adjustable panhard bar or any other suspension components when doing this? I have the stock size wheels and tires and plan on keeping it that way. You can read so many things, from "You NEED it" to "Don't waste your money." I'm very picky when it comes to my rides. I don't want want things out of whack, vibrations, etc. A friend of mine that builds these cars, says I don't need it. Just would like some others with experience to chime in. Thanks!
You can do the install then measure for the rear to be centered. If it's off, put on an adjustable panhard bar. If it's off, the pinion angle will be off as well. I also imagine that the alignment thrust angle will be off too.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ That pretty much sums it up. Mine was slightly off from the factory. After I lowered it with Strano's/Bilstein's it stuck way out to the pass side. Got an adjustable torque arm and panhard to get everything back where it's supposed to be.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

you know, I thought the same thing but decided due to mileage and my upcoming lowering (shocks arrived yesterday) I decided to replace ALL the bushings in my suspension to that end I got all MOOG front bushings and ball joints and the Founders 3-piece poly rear control arms and on car adjustable pan-hard bar, so far I have only done the drivers side rear lower control arm and pan-hard bar (one of the lower control arm bushings was the wrong size so I can't install the other one till it arrives) and already I tell a HUGE difference in the rear of the car and the way I figure it, by the time I bought Moog bushings for the stock rear lower control arms and removed them, borrowed one of parents cars, went to a shop and paid them to press out the old and press in the new bushings I'm not that far from the cost of the Founders and I can do those myself rather easily and they look better to boot.

Also I would definitely get the on car adjustable pan-hard, just to be sure your able to center things up, it's not that much money after considering the 600-700 you just spent on shocks and springs.

also depending on mileage I would suggest replacing all the front control arm bushings and ball joints (mine have over 205k miles so it was a must to me).
Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

We recommend installing an adjustable panhard bar anytime you lower a 3rd or 4th gen F-Body because lowering the car will push the rear end over to the drivers side of the car. The best way to get the rear end centered back under the car is with an adjustable panhard rod. We offer a adjustable panhard rod with polyurethane bushings (PHR002) that sounds like it would work perfectly for you.

With the change in ride height it will alter the pinion angle of the car but it is hard to say if the change will be extreme enough to cause any kind of extra vibrations. We have found that it will on some cars and won't on others so it is kind of a toss up. Once you get your BMR lowering springs installed drive the car around and see if you have any kind of extra vibrations that are speed related, if you do I would recommend one of BMR adjustable full length torque arm (TA001) which will allow you to fine tune the pinion angle.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
you know, I thought the same thing but decided due to mileage and my upcoming lowering (shocks arrived yesterday) I decided to replace ALL the bushings in my suspension to that end I got all MOOG front bushings and ball joints and the Founders 3-piece poly rear control arms and on car adjustable pan-hard bar, so far I have only done the drivers side rear lower control arm and pan-hard bar (one of the lower control arm bushings was the wrong size so I can't install the other one till it arrives) and already I tell a HUGE difference in the rear of the car and the way I figure it, by the time I bought Moog bushings for the stock rear lower control arms and removed them, borrowed one of parents cars, went to a shop and paid them to press out the old and press in the new bushings I'm not that far from the cost of the Founders and I can do those myself rather easily and they look better to boot.

Also I would definitely get the on car adjustable pan-hard, just to be sure your able to center things up, it's not that much money after considering the 600-700 you just spent on shocks and springs.

also depending on mileage I would suggest replacing all the front control arm bushings and ball joints (mine have over 205k miles so it was a must to me).
I too agree that the on car adjustable pan-hard rod is the way to go. I've got the Founders piece as well. However I did not like the poly rear LCAs at all. The rear couldn't articulate like it should. There are a lot of folks that will tell you that the stock LCA is just fine. I did press in some Moog bushings in the stockers .... so they are somewhat upgraded.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
I too agree that the on car adjustable pan-hard rod is the way to go. I've got the Founders piece as well. However I did not like the poly rear LCAs at all. The rear couldn't articulate like it should. There are a lot of folks that will tell you that the stock LCA is just fine. I did press in some Moog bushings in the stockers .... so they are somewhat upgraded.
I'm talking about these http://www.foundersperformance.com/1...ce-poly-joint/ 3-piece poly's not the normal poly's that are known to have the binding issues.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Any and all poly bushings have binding issues. Also I hate on car adjustable phb's. I prefer single adjustable because once its set you're done unless you change the ride height.
On car adjustable phb's are way too prone to having the jam nuts come loose and coming out of adjustment.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
^ Any and all poly bushings have binding issues. Also I hate on car adjustable phb's. I prefer single adjustable because once its set you're done unless you change the ride height.
On car adjustable phb's are way too prone to having the jam nuts come loose and coming out of adjustment.
As far as adjustable panhard bars go we only sell the on-car adjustable versions and we have very few issues with them ever coming loose. If anybody is that concerned with the jam nuts coming loose I would recommend putting a little Loctite on the threads of the adjuster where the jam nut will reside and tighten down the jam nuts good and you will be good to go.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

I got a brand new set of bmr springs for sale send me a pm if ur interested
Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by unioncarpenter84
I got a brand new set of bmr springs for sale send me a pm if ur interested
Thanks, but I already have the springs. Just need to get the shocks and according to what everybody says, a panhard bar. Then I can get installing!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks, but I already have the springs. Just need to get the shocks and according to what everybody says, a panhard bar. Then I can get installing!
If there is anything we can help you out with let us know.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
If there is anything we can help you out with let us know.
KYLE,

Nice to meet you and thanks soo much for all your advice.

I can't wait to start wrencing on this car

Quick Reply: Lowering my car, looking for opinions