Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ride height issue with Strano/KONIS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this was already covered, but did you make sure the springs are seated properly and snug against the isolator and spring cup at the top and bottom? If they aren't quite all the way in, the car could sit a little high.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I ran into this issue with the fronts when I bought mine as well. Fronts barely and I mean barely budged. Did what Sam said and drove it for several thousand mines, loosen/re-tighten sway bar under load, yadda yadda yadda...nothing changed. I even removed everything and reinstalled them again since he was admit that the issue had to be due to an improper install then.

After doing more research it seemed like Stano's were the only ones with numerous threads about fronts not lowering. Yes, there are hundreds of cars that did lower and have satisfied customers but when just looking at all of the threads with lowering (reverse rake) issues they are almost all with Stranos. Not saying its a bad product and we all know they were made for ride quality, not looks, just made an observation. I decided to try BMR's front springs, since I could not find a thread with the same issues I was having with my Stranos, and man am I glad I did. The minute I lowered the car off the jacks with the BMR's on it, it lowered a full inch. After a couple hundred miles the car settled even more. To be honest, I did not feel much of a difference between the two springs handling or ride comfort wise. I'll shoot some pics when I get home. (cars been in the garage since November..damn Chicago weather!! haha)

I would suggest, like others have, driving it some more once the weather breaks and if it still hasn't settle in some I would look into possibly replacing the fronts with BMR.

Here is a picture of the car 100% stock. (3 years ago)

Here is it on Stranos w/ ~2K miles on them. (fronts didn't move much at all)

Now a day or so after BMR front install.

Most recent pics (Sept-Oct 2013)

Old 03-24-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'm running Strano springs and Koni's, with them on the higher perch, and measure 25.5" on the front. Tires are 255/35/19s. So there is something wrong with your setup for sure.

Car looks great, great stance. But I have to respectfully disagree with your statement. Having personally gone through this, I honestly believe that perhaps there are just some production model differences between certain cars.

I had the exact same setup and the exact same problems. Looking back at my car when it was stock, it did seem to sit much higher from the get go than my previous 4th gens.

I even swapped out the strano springs to a set of used Eibachs (verified correct part number) and it still sat high. Some of this was a disparity as I was running staggered 18/19 wheels, but the front still looked high. Perhaps its a Strano thing, but I have seen a bunch of success stories and pics to believe that the springs are top notch. Add in a multitude of production tolerances and there you go.

Really dont think its install setup at all. I double and tripled checked mine, did all the crap listed above (drove hard, put miles on to seat springs, loosen end links, even tried the lower perch) all to no avail.

The OP can try different springs but I think he will still end up disappointed. I think the solution is the BMR Drop LCAs to get it right.

My car is a 99, it would be interesting to see if those with similar rake problems were of a specific year(s)
Old 03-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yeh I dont understand whats going on. Dont get me wrong I love the Stranos and now with the Konis I love it even more, handling wise. I just dont get why the fronts are so stubborn. I think ill stick with them and just get the BMR lower a arms. I figure id be getting eventually when I did my motor swap with new k member and all but it looks like ill be getting them sooner than later.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Maybe this was already covered, but did you make sure the springs are seated properly and snug against the isolator and spring cup at the top and bottom? If they aren't quite all the way in, the car could sit a little high.
Yes, they are fully seated.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rare99SS
Yeh I dont understand whats going on. Dont get me wrong I love the Stranos and now with the Konis I love it even more, handling wise. I just dont get why the fronts are so stubborn. I think ill stick with them and just get the BMR lower a arms. I figure id be getting eventually when I did my motor swap with new k member and all but it looks like ill be getting them sooner than later.
This could also be why. BMR/Strano fronts.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have first hand seen rare99's car and there is absolutly nothing wrong with his setup. It is something wrong with the way the car is made. Or maybe the fact his car has like no miles on it haha. Im glad to see everyone is having success just using BMR springs, thats my plan. I bought Rare99's old shocks so i hope its not a curse
Old 03-25-2014, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. That could very well be it looking at those spring pictures. Although on mine I did eibachs to the same result. I think either spring would be great. I went with stranos because I went down the eibach rd before and wanted something a bit different. The BMRs weren't quite as well vested when I made my decision.

I do love BMRs stuff though. Never had an issue with any of it.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarokid327

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/...fec7219cc4.jpg
You can't directly compare two different brands free standing height, unless they are 100% identical in every other way (exact same material, coil thickness, coil count, everthing). A lot more involved in a spring than that.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
You can't directly compare two different brands free standing height, unless they are 100% identical in every other way (exact same material, coil thickness, coil count, everthing). A lot more involved in a spring than that.
It's not very scientific but based on a gut feeling... that is likely the problem. Could be that the Strano version sags more when weight is applied but it looks to me like they are made from the same diameter material. Additionally, I know from experience that chopping a coil off of a stock spring will drop an inch because the spring is now shorter.... pretty simple.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isnt both bmr and stranos both 550 on front springs? Could just be bad batch of springs, it does happen.

Sent from my HTC One VX using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-27-2014, 05:21 AM
Staging Lane

Aren't they both a 1.2" drop? If so then they should be atleast close to the same height, not a mile off. I think I just got a bad batch even though Strano says they quality control check everything at the factory.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Hard to argue w that... I too am running the Strano's/Bilstein HD's on my Firehawk.... I think I will try the BMR's on my 93 Indy Pace Car... Thanks for sharing.

I ran into this issue with the fronts when I bought mine as well. Fronts barely and I mean barely budged. Did what Sam said and drove it for several thousand mines, loosen/re-tighten sway bar under load, yadda yadda yadda...nothing changed. I even removed everything and reinstalled them again since he was admit that the issue had to be due to an improper install then.

After doing more research it seemed like Stano's were the only ones with numerous threads about fronts not lowering. Yes, there are hundreds of cars that did lower and have satisfied customers but when just looking at all of the threads with lowering (reverse rake) issues they are almost all with Stranos. Not saying its a bad product and we all know they were made for ride quality, not looks, just made an observation. I decided to try BMR's front springs, since I could not find a thread with the same issues I was having with my Stranos, and man am I glad I did. The minute I lowered the car off the jacks with the BMR's on it, it lowered a full inch. After a couple hundred miles the car settled even more. To be honest, I did not feel much of a difference between the two springs handling or ride comfort wise. I'll shoot some pics when I get home. (cars been in the garage since November..damn Chicago weather!! haha)

I would suggest, like others have, driving it some more once the weather breaks and if it still hasn't settle in some I would look into possibly replacing the fronts with BMR.

Here is a picture of the car 100% stock. (3 years ago)

Here is it on Stranos w/ ~2K miles on them. (fronts didn't move much at all)

Now a day or so after BMR front install.

Most recent pics (Sept-Oct 2013)

Old 04-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Ive put almost 200 miles on my car since putting the konis on and still no change. Still sitting about a half inch higher in the front. Handles excellent though.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Noticeable difference.

Quick Reply: Ride height issue with Strano/KONIS