Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Does the V6 and V8 4th gen use the same spring/strut?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Does the V6 and V8 4th gen use the same spring/strut?

My 98 Formula needs new struts. It's got some unknown lowering spring and unknown strut on it. Bottom line, it rides like crap and scrapes the exhaust on every single high spot in the road. I'm returning it to the stock ride height.

Been looking and I'm not finding any used springs local, but I have access to a ton of U pull it junkyards with 4th gens, but they are all V6 cars. Every part number I find is the same for the V6 and V8, but I would like to confirm that the V6 does use the same spring and strut combination as it's V8 counterpart.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes they are indeed the same mounting and installation wise. However, most drop springs use a rate based on a v8 car. So you may not see as much drop, and possibly sacrifice some ride quality just because the weight difference in the v6 vs the v8.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JC316
My 98 Formula needs new struts. It's got some unknown lowering spring and unknown strut on it. Bottom line, it rides like crap and scrapes the exhaust on every single high spot in the road. I'm returning it to the stock ride height.

Been looking and I'm not finding any used springs local, but I have access to a ton of U pull it junkyards with 4th gens, but they are all V6 cars. Every part number I find is the same for the V6 and V8, but I would like to confirm that the V6 does use the same spring and strut combination as it's V8 counterpart.
Getting used shocks (these cars don't have struts) off some base V6 car from a junkyard is not going to help you. If you want better ride quality buy new, quality gas charged sport shocks like Bilstiens.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty sure I read somewhere the stock spring spring rates are different between the V6 and V8, shocks should be the same but no point in putting crap back on your car to replace crap, spend the money on some decent parts.

if your scrapping exhaust see where it scraps and see if you can tuck the exhaust a little better.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Getting used shocks (these cars don't have struts) off some base V6 car from a junkyard is not going to help you. If you want better ride quality buy new, quality gas charged sport shocks like Bilstiens.
Meh, I have always called any shock with a spring attached to it a strut. Budget is a big deal to me right now, time is an even bigger deal. I have 10 cars backed up on repairs and I am looking for a band aid to slap in my car to last me a few months. I really don't care so much about the shock, I will change those out later, I care about the spring.

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
pretty sure I read somewhere the stock spring spring rates are different between the V6 and V8, shocks should be the same but no point in putting crap back on your car to replace crap, spend the money on some decent parts.

if your scrapping exhaust see where it scraps and see if you can tuck the exhaust a little better.
See that was my thought as well, I figured that the V6 and V8 used different spring rates, but when buying new springs from a place like rock auto, they list the same part numbers for either system. Been looking, but I can't find the spring rates.

As for the exhuast, there is no damned way to tuck a 3" pipe high enough to clear my roads. I already screwed up my collectors on the long tubes on a high spot.

As for the comments about spending the money, yall act like I have it to spend and I'm just being cheap. Sorry to say that I don't have $700 in loose change lying around waiting to be spent. I can get all 4 springs and shocks for about $120 at the junkyard.

Edit:

Found it. The front springs are stiffer on the V8, but the rears are the same as the V6.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Having been where you're at... Don't bother. It just is not worth it. You'll spend less money long term doing it only once, and right the first time.

There is no guarantee that any used unit will be any better than what you have. Heck the newest stock unit is now going to be 12 years old!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Having been where you're at... Don't bother. It just is not worth it. You'll spend less money long term doing it only once, and right the first time.

There is no guarantee that any used unit will be any better than what you have. Heck the newest stock unit is now going to be 12 years old!
You don't understand, the right front is completely blown. The shock isn't doing anything anymore, every bump I hit causes it to bounce badly. I've gotten lucky out of these yards before, found brand new parts on quite a few cars.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh, I have always called any shock with a spring attached to it a strut. Budget is a big deal to me right now, time is an even bigger deal. I have 10 cars backed up on repairs and I am looking for a band aid to slap in my car to last me a few months. I really don't care so much about the shock, I will change those out later, I care about the spring.

See that was my thought as well, I figured that the V6 and V8 used different spring rates, but when buying new springs from a place like rock auto, they list the same part numbers for either system. Been looking, but I can't find the spring rates.

As for the comments about spending the money, yall act like I have it to spend and I'm just being cheap. Sorry to say that I don't have $700 in loose change lying around waiting to be spent. I can get all 4 springs and shocks for about $120 at the junkyard.

Edit:

Found it. The front springs are stiffer on the V8, but the rears are the same as the V6.
I think what it boils down to is like with the bushings and stuff, teh aftermarket replacement companies (like Moog) just make one "universal" part for the v6 and v8 cars, much like how the replacement rear lower control arm bushings from Moog are said to be equivalent to the 1LE bushings.

I would be cautious of buying the springs used, the front springs on my car have sagged so bad I had to install a set of BMR lowering springs on the back to get the car to sit level (and I'm NOT exaggerating, see attached pics, one at gas station is before, one in gravel drive is after). I still need to replace my fronts with the Bilsteins and BMR to match the rear.

Before I realized just how low mine where sagging I bought a set of Moog Replacement front springs off Amazon's "warehouse deals", but when I realized I could install BMR's and not end up lower then I was I decided to "lower" the car, so I have them for sale in this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...e-hoarder.html

I also have a set of Heater Hose modded stock rear springs for sale if you want to take the whole car back up to stock height.
Attached Thumbnails Does the V6 and V8 4th gen use the same spring/strut?-2012-04-08_19-13-24_382.jpg   Does the V6 and V8 4th gen use the same spring/strut?-img_20140320_160655_093.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Meh, I have always called any shock with a spring attached to it a strut.
That'd be a coilover, not a strut...
Just saying, you could wind up with the wrong part by calling it a strut, as 3rd gens and 5th gens use struts, 4th gens have coilovers.

As for the exhuast, there is no damned way to tuck a 3" pipe high enough to clear my roads. I already screwed up my collectors on the long tubes on a high spot.

Whos to say that the shock you buy from a junkyard isn't blown out, or the springs are not sagging?
Old 04-11-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
That'd be a coilover, not a strut...
Just saying, you could wind up with the wrong part by calling it a strut, as 3rd gens and 5th gens use struts, 4th gens have coilovers.

Whos to say that the shock you buy from a junkyard isn't blown out, or the springs are not sagging?

Considering that auto parts stores classify shocks and struts in the same place, and I would have to be a total moron to buy third or fifth gen struts, I don't think it's going to make a difference.

As for the junkyard, I was in it today for other parts. First 4th gen I came across had damned near new A/C delco shocks on it. Pretty easy to spot the shiny clean shock on the filthy camaro.

Bottom line, I found my answer, the springs are different from V6 to V8, so there is no point in paying for V6 springs in a junk yard, since the main point of doing it this was to save me time.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Here is a link to a spring rate database for 4th gens.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

Quick Reply: Does the V6 and V8 4th gen use the same spring/strut?