Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Preparing for shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Preparing for shock replacement

I'm getting ready to swap my factory shocks out for Koni Yellows (2001 camaro/ 75,000miles), and it seems results are varied on what's needed.

Assuming worst-case scenario: what parts would I need to replace?

Upper Strut mounts…. Upper Isolators…. And endlinks?

Anything in the rear?

And any hardware needed (bolts, etc?)

I just want to make sure I have all the parts necessary, so I'm not running around ordering parts last minute...
Old 05-06-2014, 08:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I'm getting ready to swap my factory shocks out for Koni Yellows (2001 camaro/ 75,000miles), and it seems results are varied on what's needed.

Assuming worst-case scenario: what parts would I need to replace?

Upper Strut mounts…. Upper Isolators…. And endlinks?

Anything in the rear?

And any hardware needed (bolts, etc?)

I just want to make sure I have all the parts necessary, so I'm not running around ordering parts last minute...
Besides the shocks the only other parts you would need assuming the worst-case scenario would be the upper strut mounts and the isolators that sit on top of the strut mounts. The end links don't have anything to do with the shocks so you shouldn't have to mess with them at all.

The shocks will come with the hardware needed to install them so you should be good to go there.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Besides the shocks the only other parts you would need assuming the worst-case scenario would be the upper strut mounts and the isolators that sit on top of the strut mounts. The end links don't have anything to do with the shocks so you shouldn't have to mess with them at all.

The shocks will come with the hardware needed to install them so you should be good to go there.
Sounds good. I know in a few writeups people removed the endinks for more articulation to work with, and some reported them breaking. I figured spending $20 would be cheap insurance.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Sounds good. I know in a few writeups people removed the endinks for more articulation to work with, and some reported them breaking. I figured spending $20 would be cheap insurance.
With 75k miles on the car it definitely wouldn't be a terrible idea to swap out the end links or even upgrade to a set of polyurethane end links but it shouldn't be needed unless your current ones are in bad shape.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

I'm doing the same swap this weekend (BMR springs/Koni yellows). I bought the above mentioned parts from Rock Auto and Amazon. You're gonna want to rent/buy a spring compressor. I think Harbor Freight has em for $16. Impact gun comes in handy too.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by eteller
I'm doing the same swap this weekend (BMR springs/Koni yellows). I bought the above mentioned parts from Rock Auto and Amazon. You're gonna want to rent/buy a spring compressor. I think Harbor Freight has em for $16. Impact gun comes in handy too.
Did you go with moog or ac delco parts?

Last edited by wayland1985; 05-06-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not want to trust a $16 harbor freight special with several hundred pound per inch springs.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:23 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm getting ready to do mine also, and I bought the upper shock mounts for the front along with the shocks & springs. Ended up being a little over $80 for the parts. Last time I did shocks on the car, the top bolt was so rusty that I had to have them cut off, don't wanna deal with that again.. and I want to be able to set it up so that the swap is pretty quick... I can do all the spring compressor stuff before and afterwards, at my own leisure.

Hell, I'm probably just going to take all the pieces to my local shop and have them assemble them for me, so I can just install them and not have to mess with the spring compressor at all.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Moog. As far as the spring compressors go, I had good luck with chunky dumb stuff from
HF, it's their electricskl stuff that's crap.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I would get the Moog parts through www.rockauto.com because they will have the best prices and availability you can find on the Moog parts.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The endlinks are cheap insurance but if ur careful you could reuse the stockers. My camaro had 75k when I replaced my shocks, top bolts were not to bad prolly bc it hasn't been my dd for many years now

Sent from my HTC One VX using IB AutoGroup
Old 05-09-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I would get the Moog parts through www.rockauto.com because they will have the best prices and availability you can find on the Moog parts.
Check Amazon too... I just put my front end together and Amazon beat them hands down on the upper mounts/isolators; price and 2-day Prime shipping.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Check Amazon too... I just put my front end together and Amazon beat them hands down on the upper mounts/isolators; price and 2-day Prime shipping.
Weird: I checked amazon, and the prices were higher for them... I know they tend to fluctuate their prices based on day/zip code, etc, so maybe that's why...
Old 05-09-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My top nut was so rusted on the stud I ended up compressing the spring and cutting just above the spring with a sawsall. It was all destroyed with rust and rot.

The only reason I even messed with it was to reuse the spring.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in the middle of this now... The passenger side was rusted on good... great thing I ordered the moogs.

Of course, the idiot I am, I forgot to keep track of order of things: so how does it go from bottom up?

Fender washer>moog strut mount>pivot>nut?

And any idea of how to slide the shock into the mount? There's very little clearance: do I just grease her up?

Quick Reply: Preparing for shock replacement