Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Driveshaft rubbing DSL after TA and trans x-member install

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Driveshaft rubbing DSL after TA and trans x-member install

Does anyone have experience with the MWC transmission crossmember raising the transmission? I finally got the car out for summer last week after installing a MWC long torque arm and transmission crossmember over the winter. When moving the car I found that the balancing weight on the driveshaft started rubbing the top of my spohn driveshaft safety loop. I unbolted the loop so I could drive the car, and all was well. My only idea is that the x-member raised my trans, which raised my driveshaft enough so that it rubbed my DSL.

The spohn DSL is a three piece design just like the lakewood, so I was thinking I could shim the loop part a little higher with some washers. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't have the MWC setup you're talking about but I do have the Spohn DSL and it rubs my DS a little. I can see the lines on the DS from it.
IDK how you will shim it up higher if its anything like mine. My top part of the loop fits snug in the tunnel so it will not go higher. I guess yours has room on top? If you do then go for it.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

I think I have some room above it, but I didn't pay a whole lot of intention when I removed it so I'll have to check it out again. The chances of breaking the DS with street tires is probably pretty low, but since I already have the loop I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Typically in these car the trans does need raised up a bit to aid in pinion angle setup, but the issue you have with the brand of loop you are using is common. The MWC driveshaft loops are designed to clear long tubular torque arms, any exhaust, and not hang low to the ground like the other designs do.

http://midwestchassis.com/driveshafts--loops.html
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah I noticed the trans x-member raised the trans a bit too, but my flowmaster merge is preventing me from fitting either one of the DS loops at the moment (I have both).

Finally finished the break in cycles, so time to make some modifications.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't raise the dsl you could always shim the trans xmbr down .250 or so. That would probably put it closer to stock height so you shouldn't pick up any vibes from the driveline angle change (if it was okay before).
Old 06-04-2014, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Typically in these car the trans does need raised up a bit to aid in pinion angle setup, but the issue you have with the brand of loop you are using is common. The MWC driveshaft loops are designed to clear long tubular torque arms, any exhaust, and not hang low to the ground like the other designs do.

http://midwestchassis.com/driveshafts--loops.html
Good to know. I got mine cheap as I won a gift cart to another company, and like that it can be installed without removing the DS. I may be looking into a PHB from you guys soon though.

Originally Posted by No Juice
Yeah I noticed the trans x-member raised the trans a bit too, but my flowmaster merge is preventing me from fitting either one of the DS loops at the moment (I have both).

Finally finished the break in cycles, so time to make some modifications.
Ok, at least its not out of the ordinary then. Enjoy the new rear!

Originally Posted by guppymech
If you can't raise the dsl you could always shim the trans xmbr down .250 or so. That would probably put it closer to stock height so you shouldn't pick up any vibes from the driveline angle change (if it was okay before).
I don't think I would want to lower the x-member down from the car, just seems like it could be less secure and put more stress on the bolts. If I can't raise the DSL I will likely just leave the loop portion removed and not worry about it until I would to put on non-street tires and head to the strip.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft rubbing DSL after TA and trans x-member install