Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks & Springs Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Shocks & Springs Help

Ok so here is my delima, I am almost ready to install my factory stock suspension springs and shocks on my new BMR k-member. Problem is the not on the top of the shock is gone. So I think this is a great time to upgrade. However I'm not up on all of this suspension stuff.

Looking for recommendations or experiences that work good. My car is a 2001 SS Camaro not my daily driver, However I want it to ride and handle great. Car is a weekend toy street/strip car.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are on a budget, it is hard to beat Bilsteins. Koni's are a great option as well if you have a little extra in the budget. Either one will work great for what your are doing
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
If you are on a budget, it is hard to beat Bilsteins. Koni's are a great option as well if you have a little extra in the budget. Either one will work great for what your are doing
Eric, good name there buddy Eric here as well. I haven't even thought about the Bilsteins or the Koni's really. I was leaning towards the Strange or the QA1's. I have just heard that they were some of the best and I'd rather not have to buy them again if that is the case. I may be off track here and If I am please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Qa1's and Strange are more dedicated towards drag racing performance. The valving adjustment range is better suited to promote weight transfer and help keep front end stretch as long as possible. They can be used on the street, but they are not optimal for daily driving. If you want comfort and ride quality for daily driving I would look at the Bilsteins. I have still heard of people getting 1.5 60's our of Bilsteins on the track, with other supporting suspension mods
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-04-2014, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama99z
Ok so here is my delima, I am almost ready to install my factory stock suspension springs and shocks on my new BMR k-member. Problem is the not on the top of the shock is gone. So I think this is a great time to upgrade. However I'm not up on all of this suspension stuff.

Looking for recommendations or experiences that work good. My car is a 2001 SS Camaro not my daily driver, However I want it to ride and handle great. Car is a weekend toy street/strip car.
IMO, Bilsteins or Koni's.

If you're willing to make a sacrifice on great ride and handling, for drag racing shocks then get some Strange DA shocks front and rear. This way you'll still have good ride and handling on the street(when properly adjusted) and a good track performance(when properly adjusted).
Old 06-04-2014, 08:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama99z
I haven't even thought about the Bilsteins or the Koni's really. I was leaning towards the Strange or the QA1's. I have just heard that they were some of the best and I'd rather not have to buy them again if that is the case. I may be off track here and If I am please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Eric
If you are more of a weekend street/strip car the Viking double adjustable shocks may be a great choice for you. These are a nitrogen assisted shock with easy external adjustable valving and you can quickly adjust the ride to setup for comfortable street driving or racing.

The Strange shocks are a great piece, but more tuned toward drag racing. They do have the lowest cost entry-level single adjustable(10 position) shocks at 150.00 ea.

The Viking shocks are only available in double adjustable(19 position), and come with a 2 year warranty. These are more focused on pro-touring and street rod applications, but the wide range of valving has proven great on the dragstrip as well. The Viking double adjustable shocks are priced great at usually 189.00 ea.

MWC has the GUARANTEED lowest prices on these shock packages and offer any package from just a shock to a complete 4 corner coil-over system.
Give us a call and we will be happy to go over your need and set you up with a very affordable package to get the performance you are looking for. We also offer the best tech help available to aid you in any questions about install or tuning.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are looking for a comfortable ride on the street and a handling improvement over stock, it's hard to beat the value of Bilsteins. My car spends plenty of time on the track and they perform well there also.

Quick Reply: Shocks & Springs Help