Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can a camaro be built to out handle a c6

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015 | 04:28 PM
TECH Regular
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Actually the setup we've been testing and working on with UMI has AFCO shocks, they are undergoing one more round of tweaks, but I wanted them on Hypercoils which is how I'll set mine up and that's what I've been driving on.

I have to find a car first, then decide what to do on the dampers and springs. I know how my stuff works, and it works well enough to win ESP National Championships, but I've prove that already. I probably would not run the Ridetechs on my own car because if I went coil-over I'd likely run what I've been working on. If said car has Koni's and my springs on it, and the one I'm looking at already does I might stay there for the time being.

There are benefits each way, and I kind of like kicking *** on things that sometimes folks isn't fancy enough.
Sounds good...I for one on this site, would enjoy seeing you in an Fbod again working with these 20 yr old cars.
UMI certainly is.
Old 12-18-2015 | 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dailydriver
PFADT dampers (and if so, which model), and stock leaf springs, or is EVERYTHING (suspension wise) still stock??
Sam is right, I'm all stock suspension with a moderate alignment.

For reference I have less front camber in the Z06(-1.3) as I did in the Camaro(-1.8).

Here is the chart. I am on the second alignment, Performance street/track on street tires. Some reason I thought I was on the third one down...I street drive too much for that one....although I may buy camber plates/blocks and start setting my own toe.

Old 12-21-2015 | 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

^^^OK, I did not know that Pfadt actually had 'official' suggested alignment settings for the y bodies.
Old 12-21-2015 | 05:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

well I don't know I'd call it anything special. I mean it's not any different than all the years I have given out specs based on use. I'm not just as much into marketing. Then again I haven't gone bankrupt.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-04-2016 | 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Back up again, I am getting my brain wrapped around the cars capabilities. The car is on race takeoff slicks. It has Pirelli on the rear and Continental on the front...........long story.

For reference the best I ran in the Camaro on 5 year old(new) BFG R1's was a 1:59.8 and I only did it once. I was a consistent 2.00 lapper on that setup at NOLA Motorsports Park.

Best so far in the C5 Z06 is a 1:54.2, car is still stock but has more camber now with -2.3 front and -1.2 rear. Suspension is bone stock, brakes are stock but the front have DRM stainless pistons, engine has exhaust/intake/tune. I raised the car back up also, it turns better with more shock travel. It's almost at stock ride height now.

I will go quicker with more seat time.

I need to be on track with STi Killer, that would be fun.

Tires are warm at about 4 minutes in.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 03-04-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Can a camaro be built to out handle a c6